Male age 76 hydrocele question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Off and on for a dozen years I've experienced swelling. At times it is was on one side only and very uncomfortable but went away. That is not the case in the last year. Both are swollen and there is little pain. However, there is discomfort and hygiene issues.

I am a very large man (yes, fat). This is embarrassing by my penis is very short. With excess lower belly fat and swollen testicles, hygiene issues arise when I urinate and it drips. I do take flowmax for prostrate issues but is some minor start/stop.

I'd be interested in hearing any experiences from other older (fat) men.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim do you suffer with much pain in your swelling around your testicals ??????

• Posted

No pain, just uncomfortable and hygiene issues when urinating. with excess lower belly fat and swollen testicles, I don't extend very far. Hence, I end up dribbling. Add to that on a hot day, or any activity, the closeness results in athlete's foot of the crotch.

On occasion, sitting down on a toilet without a split front type found in public bathrooms, they get squeezed and cause temp pain.

I am planning on having the surgery, but between waiting for doc appointment and schedule with hospital, it will be two months. I spoke with doc 4 months ago, when it wasn't too bad. He said i should wait till it's uncomfortable enough, which is now.

I'd really like to ask other older men (not kids who heal faster), how long the recovery process will take. 40+ years ago I had a vasectomy and I think recovery was a couple weeks. I was also not fat then. I do remember it was embarrassing as hell to be shaved in preparation for surgery.

Any other thoughts from an older man about this surgery would be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Jim, Had my hydrocele opp 26 May 2021,

It was the size of a grapefruit left hand side.

I went home late afternoon after it being done in the morning. I was in lots of pain and had to go back to Aand E 7th June for them to tell me that i had an infection in the wound. They had to re operate and clean out the infection. I was in hospital for 5days on anti biotics . I was treated for Sepsis .I am now on the way to recovery.

I would still have it done again if asked. Just for the same reason you have explained .

• Posted

hello jim

have you had your opp yet regarding your hydrocele if yes how are you felling . I had mine done in May 2021 Still felling the pain from the opp from the healing process

• Posted

I am not fat but I am 77 and I had a hydrocele operation 10 months ago. You may not be as small as you think. The penis is measured from the public bone not the fatty deposits. Obese men look smaller than they actually are.

All I can tell you is that I had a good result. I was on my bike after 3 days and the dull ache I had had for 40 years from my vasectomy was gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.