Massive aura migraine

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had the worst experience of my life yesterday.

I was rushed to hospital with symptoms of a stroke. I lost my ability to say words and then my speech all together, I was confused, couldn't hear, had wiggly lines in front of my eyes and memory loss. I was in a state of confusion for about four hours

Turned out to be a massive aura migraine. So scary :-(

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I thought several times I was having a stroke but it clears after a few days. I am so scared at times and getting reAlly depressed.
    • Posted

Yeah this is the first big episode I've ever had and they think it may be linked to the combined contraceptive pill

It was terrifying. I felt like my brain was malfunctioning and there was nothing I could do. I didn't regain my ability to talk and understand people for almost four hours. And then the head pain started

Feel very tired and groggy today. Just hope it doesn't happen again

• Posted

Hi liz ,

I suffer terrably with my hemepigic migraine i first lost all feeling as a strake and blind in right eye this lasted a month was in hospital 6 weeks . I get them regular and have been in hospital alot . I am now registered disabled cant work and was severly depressed really bad . But please dont have bad thoughts speak to someone you can get help . And you can cope . There is help if you ask tell them how you feel and tell the head aches and depression , you will be ok .

Andy .

• Posted

Hi Andy, I dont think I got back to you from your post 19 days ago.  I have had a rough couple of weeks and my memory is still not great so if Ihave alreay replied I am sorry.  I really meant to speak to my GP last week about the depression but was so glad he was upping my meds again that I was too teary to talk.  As each day passes and things improve, I
    • Posted

Hi again, cant even hit the right keys now,. Just really wanted to say thanks for the support, it is really appreciated.  xx
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear about your experience yesterday that must have been very very scary.

I had suffered migraines for best part of 30 yrs so really do sympathise with you.  My experiences similar to yours were also very frightening diagnosed with hemiplaegic migraines - very similar like a stroke, couldn't speak, couldn't focus on what my husband was saying, and was slumped on the couch right next to him yet couldn't find the words or make any actions to alert him until he just happened to glance at me and saw something was wrong.  He was even more terrified than I was to be honest as he never suffers from migraines and has had to watch me for years and years go through very bad episodes but this terrified him.  Couldn't string a sentence together or think properly and ended up going to bed for over 24 hrs to get over it but made me very scared.

Hope you don't experience it again - not pleasant,

Take care x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. That sounds very similar to my experience yesterday

I was unable to get my words out and when I did, they were jumbled. I couldn't read or concentrate on what anyone said. I couldn't hear voices properly, including my own. I felt like I was in a dream like state. I had memory loss and was unsure who I was and who my boyfriend was

It amazes me and terrifies me in equal measure, what a migraine is capable of doings

Thanks, hope you are well x

Single most terrifying wx

• Posted

Sorry, ignore that part on the end! Phone is jumbling my text up as much as I was jumbling my words up yesterday!
    • Posted

From this forum I have discovered many types of migraine with multiple causes but have yet to find any real relief from the symptoms. If anyone out there can offer some hope I would be do grateful. I have had to give up work as a result and miss this part of my life.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear it affects your life so badly

I'm new to migraines of this scale. I wish I had more advice to give

• Posted

30 years ago, at work looking at a computer monitor, got tunnel vision, went for a walk "to clear my head" and, before I'd left the building, was collapsed in a changing room unable to speak or stand, or make any kind of communication or action, sobbing uncontrollably.  I was taken to hospital (carried to the ambulance), as a suspected epileptic, and it took about 4 hours to come round.

So, yes, they do happen, though rarely, I think.  I've never had another incident quite like that.

• Posted

I'm glad that was the only one you had to that scale. I never want to experience what I did yesterday. I thought my brain was completely malfunctioning

I didn't know any of this could ever happen due to a migraine

• Posted

Hi again, I have had so many over the last 2 years I am beginning to think it has to be something serious because it is difficult to accept it is all down to migraine. I am just so glad I found this forum, it has kept me from ending it all so far.
    • Posted

Liz, if you had MRI's and all was clear, you can at least be safe in the knowledge that at least nothing really serious is going on.  I realise, which is the same in my case, that we still need to find a way of dealing with these migraines and its not easy.  So much of the brain they still dont understand yet, thats the problem, so they cannot find the answers just yet that we search for.

Good luck with everything Liz, hope we all find some respite soon.

• Posted

Hi, I had a ct scan. I asked for an MRI but they would not support this. If I had a tumour I would have been dead long ago. Thankfully i

Am around for a bit longer. Treatment is a matter if trial and error but like other sufferers, the brain seems to catch up with the treatment and overtake it and then it's back to the drawing board. Best wishes to you and thanks for your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.