Me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm Oscar, I'm 19 years old, I'm a thin guy whos lost around 3 stone before being diagnosed I'm now 9 stone.

I live with my parents, with my 16 year old sister, 14 year old brother and 17 year old brother.

I've just been diagnosed with diabetes about 2 weeks ago and its been so hard to cope with, and all these tests, and I have a eye screening test coming up and it says it spots early signs of blindness. It makes me really upset about all this just suddenly coming apon me that I never thought could happen to me really.

i just don't really know who to talk to about how I feel. I feel sad, upset, and just lost I suppose.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Oscarr, it's always scary when you are first diagnosed-plus the fact you are dealing with so much. Learn all you can about your illness, knowledge is power! You can and will get better. You are never alone as there are lots of support groups. Ask plenty of questions, and try not to worry. Come back and talk anytime xx
  • Posted

Hi Oscarr

There are two types of diabetes - Type I which is an autoimmune disease occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, called beta cells, and Type II which has a different cause and is not autoimmune.  There is a lot of help for these diseases and as the other responder said, the more you research and learn, the more empowered you will feel and the better your outcomes.

• Posted

Hi Oscar

You don't mention what type of diabetes you have. There is type one and type two...Type one is controlled with insulin injections. I have Type two diabetes which is controlled with Metformin tablets taken twice daily.These control the glucose in your blood and you can keep check on your glucose levels yourself with a monitor your doc may give you on a script. Levels should be 7mmols or below. The eye tests are routine that you will have every six months or annually. You have checks on your glucose levels, cholesterol, kidney and liver function. If you do have Type 2 it's fine as long as you take your Metformin tabs and eat a low sugar diet yr diabetic nurse or doc will inform you of diet...There is no need to worry about it you will be fine!...I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2006 and it is well under control with Metformin, low sugar diet and annual checks on the other things and I feel fine...hope this helps...stop worrying.. and best wishes....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.