mebeverine tables anyone?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all i have just been newly diagnosed with ibs on going pains for 3 months

My symptoms

Pain in upper sides move from one side to the next

Gas at night

Anxiety

Irregular bowel movements mainly C

Has anyone tried these tables ? With similar symtoms to me..

The thing is I don't want to take them if they aren't going to work.

I am taking pro biotic

Multi vitamin

Aloa vera

And may take something for my anxiety

Feel like a mix of these may upset me more

Any advice??

wink

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Try enteric peppermint capsules they could have a positive effect, I took Mebeverine, did nothing for me, took Proton Pumps, did nothing, now I make milk kefir, a strong probiotic and take enteric peppermint capsules.
  • Posted

Although some people report postive results from aloe vera it actually isn't recommended by doctors as an effective treatment for IBS. 

Might be worth looking at the NICE guidance. 

Jan

• Posted

I suffer from IBS D and like you only recently been diagnosed. I get very little pain but i am on mebeverine because they have the effect of clogging you up so it helps for the D side of things. But i do notice the pain totally dissapears when i take them.

I first started on 2 a day and was ok. But the next day i took 3 doses (wanted to keep things settled) and that night the D came back and had unbearable nausea. I took another dose the next morning and the same again. Especially after eating.

Went to the doctors and got some peppermint capsuals which did nothing for me at all (they are known for helping IBS C more than IBS D) so came home and took just one Mebeverine. I now only take the Mebeverine when i have a flare up (my IBS is anxiety related) so i get fast acting relief and only have to take one so not to overdose my system.

In short a lot of people with IBS D find they help. But if you have IBS C i wouldnt reccomend taking it as it is known for causing constipation so may make your symptoms worse. Go back to the doctor and ask for some colpermin, they are peppermint capsuals but still have an anti spasmostic reaction.

• Posted

Hi Nichola. perhaps read the patient info leaflet in box & make a judgement then , or talk to the pharmacist explaining you have ibs-c & don't want to risk becoming more constipated - is this med ok for your condition? then depending on info gleaned from above you can decide whether to try it. I have also heard of buscopan (another ibs treatment/anti spasmodic) which you could read the leaflet in box in chemist or look up on line - another med many ibs sufferers get on with. whatever you do, i hope you find some relief & feel better soon. do let us know how you get on on here. xx

• Posted

mebeverane are an anti-spasmodic. there is no guarantee that anything will work, but its worth a try. i find that buscopan do more for me, but that just me. as someone has already said, if you have IBS you shouldnt be taking aloe vera. 

if you are mainly constipated try increasing the amount of water you drink and increasing soluble fibre.

• Posted

Great thanks for the advice
    • Posted

what leeniepie said about aloe vera - i tried it, & it really upset my bowels & stopped it after just several days. i suffer from colitis & ibs-d, & I found it made things a lot worse very quickly.

• Posted

I have get anixity as well and that doesnt help IBS, I have been given Spazmanol and that works.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm curious to know if you've had any side effects from those tablets? I'm sure they were the ones I was on a few years ago when I was going through a bad time with IBS, I was on them for about 18 months and had to be very careful about taking them at the right time and not eating until about 30 minutes afterwards. If I dared drink alcohol (even one mouthful) before they had time to get into my system properly then the effects were awful, it was like all the bad effects of being drunk with none of the fun! I would feel dizzy, nauseas and like I had no coordination. I tried explaining it to the doctor but they didn't seem concerned and as it was the only thing helping my IBS pain at the time I carried on taking them but very carefully! It always worries me about getting another flare up.

• Posted

I was on mebeverine, never helped, May have made me worse that was a few years ago, I now take enteric coated peppermint capsules, Turmeric 95% curriculum with pipeline capsules, and cut right down on fibre, I eat probiotic bio yogurt and milk Kefir, and now much less problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.