Memory foam post-op, yes or no?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi folks

Just five days to go to op day of 5th October and I am getting things ready for when I come home afterwards. 

I decided to go into the spare room for a few weeks so as me and the hubs do not disturb each other.  Was making the bed up and wondered whether I should leave the nemory foam topper on. It is quite a thick one and the mattress underneath is pretty firm.

What is best?  Can anyone share their experience either way re comfort?  Anything else I should know other than using a slippy sheet and lots of pillows ?  It is a double bed and we have moved it so I can get in an out either side. 

Oh and I dont have a frame so just on crutches.. Does it help getting in and put if I have something to help me stand?

Thanks in advance. X

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I kept my memory foam topper and I found it comfortable. I didn't have anything to help me stand next to the bed, but my bed was quite high anyway. The phisiotherapist in hospital should give you  all these info and details of how high the bed, armchairs, sofa etc. are supposed to be in relation to the lenght of your legs...You have still time to ask.I never had a frame and coped ok with just crutches.

Best of luck and please  keep in touch with this forum, it does help!

Ella 

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I have a sneaky feeling they forgot to measure my legs at pre-op. Someone brought in a tape measure but it wasn't used.  I will call them tomorrow.  The spare bed us still up on bricks, something we did for my MIL after her first THR.  She's a good 7 inches shorter than me so hubs said he would add a brick :D 

I did tell the physio I had bought a higher seat armchair as I can no longer get up and down onto the sofa. 

Think I will try just the crutches then, if it is an issue I can always get something then.  Up to now I have had to provide everything myself as I am private but the hospital told me occ health would still lrovide a toilet raiser. Not a lot if time for that but I wont be leaving hospital without one in place lol.

Thanks again. smile  

• Posted

Also you can use a belt to lift your leg to the bed and car.

One person also said getting into bed you can scoot to the middle to the other side then your legs would be on the bed. But I liked the leg lifter bestsmile

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

Had a private hip replaement just 14 days ago/ They gave me a toilet raiser which is just a thick toilet seat to ficx on tiop of the ordinary one. Good!

Last time the NHS gave me a huge thing like a metal frame with arms on it. In fact they gave me two! Hubby has not recovered from carrying them home yet lol.

Crutches are a lot simpler and handier to use than a frame.

All the best for 5th October.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley

I hope you are recovery well. smile Thanks for the well wishes.

it seems my hospital contact my local Occ health via my GP.  I know what you mean about the bigger frame toilet raiser as my MIL stayed with us fro a few weeks after her hip op. Bit of a nuisance to keep moving on and off especially in the downstairs loo which is a fairly narrow room.  Do the thicker seats feel secure ?  I was wondering about them as someone suggested getting one for when you are away from home.  There is nothing to grab hold of whilst you lower yourself iyswim, sorry if tmi. :D 

I dont know what I will get as no-one has contacted me yet, but I am guessing its the frame.  

• Posted

I bought many things from the Argos catalogue, including the toilet seat...they were quite cheap and available immediately.

Best wishes

Ella xx

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

Yes, the plastic thick toilet raiser is fixed with tightening bits each side. The family are using it in the main bathroom and it has survived so far.

I use my crutches to raise and lower myself onto the toilet and it seems to work well,

I think you can get stuff on Amazon and have it delivered. Might be easier if you see what I mean. The occupational health  person will come and see you before they send you home and arrange some stuff for you. Try not to worry, it will all fall into place.

Best wishes,

Shirley

• Posted

Thanks Shirley.

I waa told Occ health should have stuff with me by today. Not heard anything so far.  I can't see them coming to see me in a private hospital. Anyhoo, I won't be let home without the stuff I need so I guess it will be sorted one way or another.  Trying to keep busy now without pushing it too much. Hubby away all weekend so I do need to keep my mind off things without him here to distract me lol.

Crutches arrived, panicked for a moment as thought too short, they are on the last hole and I think they are OK. Phew.

Thanks again x

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

Sorry, I didn't realise you were hving a private hip replacement. Same here. I had two previous ops on the NHS so that is what I was talking about. Yes, the private hospital do some stuff with you and send bits and pieces home with you. Difference is they don't regard them as being on loan, just addd them to your bill.

The best bit about the whole thing was having my own toilet and shower cubicle. Also the wait for surgery is long on the NHS, particulrly here in Wales. I am glad I went private now.

Try to stay positive this weekend. Monday will be all systems go so have plenty of rest to build yourself up.

Best wishes,

Shirley

• Posted

Thanks Shirley.

Sadly I think Ross Hall rooms have showers over baths not walk-ins.  So like home for now, might be a good thing in that respect as they can help me practice using a bath board. Hopefull will havea walk-in at how in the near future, depends on how soon I am fit enough to visit the showroom and pick out the finer details.  All a bit rushed here. 

I hadn't planned on resting too much as want to keep busy plus family are a bit wont to make the place into an obstacle course. Needs to continue clearing the decks.  Bed more or less sorted now, thankfully smile. X

• Posted

Hi Kristina,this is a difficult one,but the best thing is to have separate beds.I found the nights very  very bad,I spent some nights not sleeping at all,and other nights 2/3 hours,you have to be organised with an I Pad, TV,and plenty of drinks for the night,it is hard enough getting in and out of bed,so be prepared,the best of luck and think positive Love Michael.
    • Posted

Hi michael

I am already having bad nights. Sometimes I wake my husband crying out in pain.  I think he is looking forward to the rest as well smile  

Cant manage without my tablet, phone and Nook so they will be at hand.

Thanks for the reply x

• Posted

Getting up from a sitting position is hard at first and having help is a good thing.

Or get your bed higher.

You don't really want to lye on something hard.so the memory foam should be ok.

I have problems of being too hot, SO I bought a topper that either cools or can be used for heat.

It's from sleep number company.

Now my recliner I did elevate on bricks that hat a rubber may in each to keep it from slidding off the blocks.

If you use a recliner make sure it has a Manuel lever to bring down the feet. Or it's electric.smile

• Posted

Thanks Ginger smile

Yes I thought it best to keep it but wanted to be sure. I am always cold so it will suit me fine smile 

The bed is already raised and maybe raised higher tomorrow.  Handy we had lots of paving bricks left over from doing the driveway. :D

Recliner? I wish.... Bought a cheapish high armchair that I will recycle once I am done.   Think I will have to wait until we agree on a new suite before I get a recliner.. Lol more's the pity.

Thanks again, everyone is so helpful here smile 

• Posted

Maybe you could hire a recliner from a disability supply shop. You're going to spend an awful lot of time in it, and I find there is much less stress on my hip when my leg is raised and back reclined. Less stress = less pain = less pain killers.
    • Posted

Thank you, I will certainly think about it.  I thought the high armchair would be enough and guess it is a matter if room now. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.