Memory foam post-op, yes or no?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi folks

Just five days to go to op day of 5th October and I am getting things ready for when I come home afterwards. 

I decided to go into the spare room for a few weeks so as me and the hubs do not disturb each other.  Was making the bed up and wondered whether I should leave the nemory foam topper on. It is quite a thick one and the mattress underneath is pretty firm.

What is best?  Can anyone share their experience either way re comfort?  Anything else I should know other than using a slippy sheet and lots of pillows ?  It is a double bed and we have moved it so I can get in an out either side. 

Oh and I dont have a frame so just on crutches.. Does it help getting in and put if I have something to help me stand?

Thanks in advance. X

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 4 weeks and hubby is still in the spare room as I don't sleep well and would disturb him . 

I would say as much comfort as possible so keep the memory foam topper. 

You might find a leg lift thingy helpful ! Sorry I don't know it's real name just to help you lift your leg into bed the first few nights . I have everything I. Need next to me on the bed .....iPad , iPhone , grabber stick etc 

good luck for the 5th  . All will be fine 🍷🍷

• Posted

Hi Jay also a Bryson can use a belt to lift the leg on the bed or get into a car.lol
    • Posted

Oh thanks Jay.  A leg lifter is another new thing to me. Will rig something up there. 

Tbh I never thought if decanting my husband into the spare room.. mm there's a thought. 

Thanks for the well wishes.  Juts want it done now. smile 

• Posted

I had a hard time getting my leg lifted into the bed. So get a leg lifter or have your husband help lift your leg, I would leave it on, it's more comfortable and you'll be laying a lot.
    • Posted

Thanks Loral

Seems to be the consensus.  I can always get my DH to remove it if it proves problematic.

A lot of replies recommend leg lifters so I best get one smile

thanks again x 

• Posted

hi kristin

for my first hip I found the first two weeks difficult getting in and out of bed.

operated hip has to be on the outside so get out that side.  I bought a wedge pillow (triangle shape).  It was high at top and then sloped under my neck. I put my pillows on top and slept on my back but with my head being higher than my legs I found it easier to slide my legs out. I found it impossible when laying flat

as too much effort required on my legs.  I also took out mattress topper off for the first 2 weeks as found the mattress on its own firmer and easier to slide my legs.

I also put pillows under my knees as found it more comfortable sleeping that way.

good luck!

maggiex

• Posted

Thanks Maggie

We arranged the room so I can get in and out either side if the bed. The left side is at the far end though so longer to walk around.

I sleep propped up anyway as have reflux that I take meds for.  Back in June I had abdominal surgery and needed to sleep on my back for quite a while, so I am hoping this aspect will be familiar to me.  As a side sleeper I will be glad when I can do this in comfort again.  It is when I shift in my sleep that the pain wakes me up, far too often these days.  There is a full length body pillow in the spare room so I will try that first.  There are so many pillows in there now it looks like zi habe built a nest smile

it isnt long niw till Monday. Gulp. Wish you all the best. I go down at 8am. 

Take care x

• Posted

Yes you will be first down and will be well over before mine which should be afternoon. All the best service you other end,....x
    • Posted

Mine is 6pm Monday, I am later still!

good luck,there's you,Kristin and me

all 5 October hippies.

• Posted

Thanks cathie 

It will be great to have op biddies to share notes with.   I wish you both God's speed, you are in my prayers. 

Nerves have set in today, mostly becuase I had to cancel the plans I made for today, these anti-biotics have really given me a dicky tum.  Stayed indoors to be on the safe side, giving me much too much time to think.  Fingers crossed tomorrow will be better. smile. Already in bed for the night with my tablet and and urge for some online retail therapy :D 

How are you ladies keeping your mind off Monday ? 

• Posted

Erm.. that's op buddies not biddies :D  Apologies. 
    • Posted

went for a meal with my sisters today over in Oxford with couple glasses wine. just 2 more days to go x
    • Posted

don't try too hard ... it is not working -- like :do not think about the pink elephant in the room ....

these pre-op days are challenging - I was in so much pain,so anxiety ridden that I felt paralyzed, could not concentrate on anything for longer than a nano-second - 

I listened to meditation tapes and focussed on breathing - and once in a while a fell a sleep ...

the wait will be over soon .... 

wishing you peace of mind 

renee

• Posted

Thanks renee. 

I do find it helps a bit if I keep busy with something unrelated. Sitting about is a killer, but so is walking about keeping busy.  Can't win, was distracted to day by buying curtains and a few other things, now paying fir it big time as the pain is intense.

Yougest is making me waych Dr Who and then a film lol. I'm thinking if reaching for the Tramadol and knocking myself out.  

Tick tock. X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.