Menopausal partner

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone.

really in desperate need of advice.

something clicked in my partner just over 3 years ago that seemed to turn her into a completely different person.

the worst part is she still seems to be getting progressively worse.the episodes are getting longer and closer together.

when it happens,she is unrecognisable,saying the most hateful things about me and even my family.

i should say at this point,work wise she is a bit of a high flier.she operates in a corporate world which i accept can be stressful.

what tends to pour petrol on the situation is that she invariably reaches for a bottle of wine to "dampen the emotions".

this just magnifies what is happening inside and its usually 3 to 4 days before she can function as a person again.

also,she is reluctant to admit any kind of problem,either hormonally or with alcohol

like a stigma exists,which again i totally get,many do not enjoy laying their soul bare.

ive lived it for 3 and a half years trying to help her.the last year has made it even more difficult as ive lost both parents.

these things have combined to take a toll on my own health.

things came to a head recently when there was an incident where the police were involved,without wanting to go into too much detail,which has the scope to significantly change her life for the worse.

the worry over that is now adding fuel to whats happening with her.

im at a loss.myself along with all her family,have tried our best to support her and encourage her to get help.

she wont even take the first step though,and stop reaching for the bottle.

is this really something i have to put in the lap of the nhs and hope for the best.or is there somewhere i can have her admitted if i can convince her,where she will get the help she needs to get better?

she has spoken of the worst case scenario when having a particularly bad episode.

we all just want to help her before it gets worse for her.

tia for any advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jed

Have so much sympathy for you

Its so difficult to see someone you love pushing the self destruct button. Thing is its a complex situation, till you partner can admit she has a problem she wont look for or accept help. Sometimes it takes an "incident" to make them wake up. There is very little NHS available and the lists are long. I would suggest that maybe take yourself to the GP especially if your health is suffering and see if you can get some advice.

I have been through this with a family member so I really do know how helpless you can feel

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.