Menopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

I recently went to my GP as I have concerns about the amount of facial hair I am experiencing, I am  59.  We are talking as high up as the cheek bone all the way down to the jaw line beard, moustache and under the chin. The night sweats are like a river and I have to get up and shower at least once in the night. I can cope with the sweats but not the facial hair. I went to the GP( a woman) who I thought would be understanding. She basically told me thats part of the menopuase for some and nothing available on the NHS, apart form HRT but I did not want to go down that route and she said it would not help the facial hair. I know HRT  delays the process so I do not see the point, and it would not stop the facial hair. She did do a blood test on the thyroid which was normal. I was basically told to either get laser treatment or electrolysis. She had no sympathy and was quite blunt about it all. The pain I go through everyday is causing me so much stress. I have heard work colleagues making fun of me. As the facial hair is mainly blonde with  just a few darker ones I am on the understanig laser treatment does not work on fair hair, otherwise I would find a way to fund it. Ihave source a few private clinics for laser treatment and they have all said laser does ot work on fair hair and also if it is homonal there is a good chance it will continue to grow back. I know electrolysis does work is very expensive and can take years and it is  very painful. I have so much hair it would take a life time to get rid of it, so this does not seem an option. I know waxing is another option but it would be every week and who knows what the hair would be like once it is touched. The GP did not say it could be anything else. Anyone have advice I would welcome it. Or if there is another medical condition that could be causing it.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

hi.  this does not sound pleasant.  I get a few coarse hairs on chin which bother me enough, but I can pluck them, so understand how this is affecting you.  I would see another doctor,  and get them to re-check your thyroid as i believe there is a more detailed blood test for thyroid, maybe another doctor might be better help with this.  There are also vitamin supplements to help with adrenal glands and you might need vitamin/mineral support.  Doctors just have no interest in vitamins that could really help you to support your whole body.  I am sure other ladies here will  have good advice too.
  • Posted

There's a device called the No No which will work on fair hair. It's not cheap but works like a laser and has proved to work over prolonged use. X. hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you. I have an  IPl  product that I use on my legs that are of a brownish  hair colour.It has practically stopped the growth on the lower leg and I am now on the upper leg of which there is not much hair.  It is usable on the face but not fair hair. I will investigate the no, no.
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are going thru this. I have had dark coarse hairs grow under chin for years and have tried it all. I don't know why. I still pluck every morning. I have found..nobody tell eachother..but alot of women shave everyday. My one friend..I confided in here..she said girl I shave everyday..I honestly would have ever known. Your not alone.

• Posted

Thank you. I know I am not alone but it is the speed that it has happened and the area too. I wanted to ask my GP if a transgender goes from male to female how do they stop there hair growth on their face? But she cut my appointment dead after saying what she did.
    • Posted

They(transgender) use wax or electrolysis. I use to know one.
  • Posted

Hi, it is very distressing dealing with facial hair amongst all the other symptoms we have to cope with. I have posted about this before and had lots of suggestions for dealing with it.

I now use a facial hair removal cream every 10 to 14 days to remove the downy fair hair and pluck out the darker course ones when I need to.

My mum goes for waxing every 3 weeks and is happy with the treatment.

Someone suggested spearmint, as a herbal tea, to reduce facial hair. I drink it when I remember. And even apply spearmint oil with your moisturiser to gradually reduce the hair growth. I haven't tried that yet! 

For the night sweats and hot flashes, I take super strength sage as suggested by lovely ladies on here,  and they stopped within 3 weeks. 

Hope you find something to help you, don't despair xx

• Posted

Facial hair during this phase is indicative of high progesterone imbalance. I don't understand why you're so concerned with waxing. I tried electrolysis, took forever to do just a few hairs and it hurts. I use to dye it but you could see it so I bought my own waxing machine and started doing it myself after having watching how the salon did it a few times. Nowadays, I wax my legs, hardly any hair now, my underarms maybe once every month and face twice a month. When you wax the hair gets thinner, lighter and less. It's easy and cheaper. I was hairy before I started waxing and now it's less. Also, with waxing the hair grows much slower. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I'm interested in your reading that suggests this is created by high progesterone.  Most all studies I have read suggest a high testosterone profile, overshadowing the estrogen effect. 

• Posted

Ah yes, you're absolutely right! I meant to say testosterone, thank you for the correction, wrote it at 3am so my brain wasn't fully awake.

• Posted

Jay,

While many women do experience an increase of facial hari with menopause, I believe that we need to call this a HORMONE IMBALANCE.   And the amount of hair that you are describing is not something to be ignored.  Generally speaking this type of excess facial hair is often caused by the over expression of testosterone which is over shadowing estrogen effect.  Since you are also having night sweats that cause you to shower during the night, I guess I'm a curious why you wouldn't be interested in trying a little estrogen therapy?  

I am sorry to disagree with your doctor that estrogen therapy will not change the facial hair.  I have been plucking and tweezing for years, but even with some vaginal estrogen, the first thing I noticed is that I didn't need to tweeze any more.  

And I'm not certain how to feel about your words that HRT "delays the process."  

You are not looking for enough estrogen to start your periods again, but just enough to provide some counter balance for your system and allow it to run better.  If you don't like it, you can always quit.  While losing our sex steriods isn't going to kill us, it certainly does change us in very profound ways.  My deal breaker was vaginal atrophy, dryness and painful sex.  That doesn't go away either, instead it only gets worse.  

Jay, I'm being really honest here when I tell you the thing I find difficult, is that no one would reject thyroid, if they were found to need replacement.  So what's wrong with admitting your body may need a little estrogen?  Quality of life is important also.  Don't suffer with this misery if you don't have to, do something about it.  You might feel like a new woman, if you weren't in pain, decreased the facial hair, could sleep a whole night without getting up to shower, and didn't feel like people are laughing at you.  

You did ask for some advice, and this is the best I can offer.  Research your options, and then go get some estrogen and see how it feels.  

• Posted

Thank you for your comments. I am aware this is testosterone doing this and that eostrogen could be the answer. However the doc really did not show any interest in how I was feelig and suffering. It was almost as if I was just a statisic, which in reality I am. I know women are made of strong stuff, but all I was shocked how blunt she was.  Those words came from my GP," delays the process". I did not have problems with periods as I was on a combination pill unitl I was 53. I came off the pill and never saw a period again. I have decided to go and see another GP.

• Posted

Good Jay, I am glad you will see a different doctor.  You shouldn't have to live with all these symptoms.  

I wish you well.

• Posted

Yes, go see a different one. That is horrible! I would see a good gynecologist rather than a GP. Or an Endocronologist. They specialize in hormones and see it all the time. Hope you feel better. I also had some horrible Dr experiences. I had them tell me it was just anxiety and to take pills. I had one Endo tell me he won't prescribe estrogen. I have come to think the reason a lot Dr's aren't sympathetic is because they don't know what is is like because they are male or they themselves had an easy menopause or haven't gone through it. smile

• Posted

Sounds to me like you need estrogen. There are low dose estrogen options that are safe. I would try it if it means not dealing with feeling like that smile

• Posted

Thank you, I am going back to my GP and will suggest this. smile

• Posted

Yes and if they don't test your hormone levels and adjust then get a different Dr. I had a Dr. that went by symptoms alone and made me so much worse. For example sore breasts can be caused by too much progesterone or too much estrogen. The endo I saw put me on way too much progesterone and my breasts were sore and huge. I told her and she said, "It's the estrogen!" I asked her to retest and she said, "Why?" I go by symptoms. A lot of Dr's do that. Find a Dr. that will test and get them balanced. It may take a few Dr's to find one that will work with you but sooo worth it. I had to go to a gynecologist and 3 endos. The 3rd endo is making me feel alive again. So, don't give up. I know! I went through absolute misery for 2 years and am finally beginning to see a light. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.