Mental health

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I suffer on and off with depression, I have found ways to help me control my depression by exercise and maiking sure I have 'me time'. Unfortunately everyone wants to rush about and we try to fit in too much which then gets on top of us. I currently work in Mental Health in a residential home in Wales, I am doing level 5 in leadership and management in health and social care, currently covering the Mental Capacity Act, i was just wondering if anyone could give me any feedback of experiences they have had good or bad, so I can see if The legislation around mental health is working also if the professionals are fulfilling their jobs? Hope someone can help. Julie 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That's a pretty broad request, but I can tell you that from what I have seen In the US, government funded clInIcs do the best they can, treastment Is often hIt-or mIss, and rely more upon the medIcal model (prescrIptIon drugs) than other types of therapy. Money seems to be the lImItIng factor, and Prozac Is more cost effectIve than talk therapy, I guess.

I prefer your self-prescrIbed "exercIse and tIme-management" regImen, along wIth a good dIet and the practIce of mIndfulness

(Now If I could only remember the above.....)

I've never met any therapIsts who prescrIbe thIs kInd of sensIble approach, although I have heard that there are some out there.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. In Wales Uk I feel that with Time for Change Wales, people are more aware and are less likely just to give medication, also due to the numerous cutbacks in funding and wards to cater for Mental health there may be alittle too late and people with mental health problems are forgotten or feel there is still a social stigma.
    • Posted

in the US, seems like everyone's nuts; it's almost chic to be mentally ill. No, really, there's still a lot of stigma attached, and too much focus on "everything as a pathology". And funding is very low for those who need help the most.

Luckily, self-help is widely promoted, if a bit hit-and-miss as far as results go.

• Posted

Hi Julie my name is geri.

I have had mental health problems since I was 17 I am now 53.

I live in the north east of England I live alone I have no mental health support at all nothing.

I take over 20 pills a day I suffer with borderline personality disorder.

When I did have mental health support it was crap.

Geri

• Posted

I completely agree with what your saying regarding exercise and giving more time for yourself.

I have suffered for years with Depression, Anxiety, and now my GP thinks i have a personality disorder.

I was in and out of school and the same with my jobs, I just cannot cope with it tbh, I have had well paid jobs, then it all goes wrong when i get stressed.

The worst thing is, are the people who do not understand, work colleagues and my family really get me down.

I keep trying to rebuild myself and then it all slips away again.

I go running and it feels great to be outside, but whilst i have been off work i know what i have missed, all the collateral things seem far less important, i think the simple life is healthier.

when i work i don't have time for nothing, i am tired stressed and then i am ill again.

• Posted

Also my GP only offered lets talk which did nothing for me, it was with CBT, but i tried and after 4 visits, i never went again.

The best i ever had was with a voluntary councillor 10 years ago, i could tell her everything about my life and she listened and gave me advice.

It cost then £5, I would see her every Saturday morning, I cannot find them now and it is minimum £40 now i see, not good if you are on ssp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.