Methimazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

7 months ago, I had bad hyperthyroidism and lost significant weight. TSH only 0.002 at that time. Everything else was high and off the charts.

My endo put me on 15 mg of Methimazole and about three weeks later there was a sudden turn around. I stated putting on weight and was perfectly fine. 6 weeks after being on 15mg Methimazole, my levels were ALL normal.

Three months ago, in December my doctor had me reduce reduced dose to 10 mg. No problem, I felt good for two more months and maintaining with my normal weight until suddenly about 4 weeks ago I started losing weight again.

I still am on 10 mg Methimazole. Latest blood work two weeks shows all levels normal. So why am I steadily loosing weight again ??

I am now down 3 kgs already. Pass volumes of urine at night. I am not diabetic. Loosing muscle weight very typical of the first time around.

Very worried. Has anyone experienced this ?. Any comments would really be helpful thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Had the same hyperthyroidism almost 2 years ago. But finally after my thyroid was normal, we stopped that medication. Then blood sugar was a little bit above average and now for the last 1.5 years am on metformin and even that all my numbers are normal now, still have to take the metformin.

Not a doctor, so won't give you any advice, but i would get a second opinion like your regular doctor and see what he/she says.

• Posted

hello david..i have hyperthyroid sept of 2018 ..start methimazole nov 1...5mg 3 times a day..dec bloodtest normal already but still feels miserable..feb of 2019 my endo lower the dose to 5mg 2 times a day because my tsh is 5.3 already but still miserable..until may of 2019 start to feel good..blood test normal as always..then i didnot consult endo anymore..i just check my bloodtest every now and then..august of 2019 i change it to 5mg a day..still feeling good..by november 2019 i change it to 2.5mg mondays and fridays only..by january 2020 i stop methimazole..still feels fine..but buy March 2020 bloodtest still normal middle range but starting to feel weird..muscle tightness..tremors..shaking..panicky..anxious always..up to april it becomes unbearable..so i take 5mg methimazole 2 times a day..up to now its been 12 days already on methimazole feeling better..so my point is even tho my bloodworks normal..but i can feel that hyper is knocking at my door again..

• Posted

Thanks Edward. So does this mean one could still have normal thyroid blood test results and still experience the symptoms of hyperthyroidism ?. My issue is the weight loss. I was on 15 mg a day for about 4 months doing perfect well, then in late December last year reduced dosage to 10 mg at my doctor's instruction . Suddenly in mid March, I started steadily losing weight. Very frustrated and don't know whether I should start thinking of going back to the original 15 mg.....just need to stop this weight loss , the insomnia,..etc...

• Posted

yes..exactly...im feeling muscle tightness in my arms and legs like its so heavy and tired..and feeling off balance feelings..like im floating so in March 13, 2020 i went for a bloodtest came out normal tsh 2.80..ft4 15.something..so i told my self maybe im just tired or just anxiety because of the lockdown..but it became worst..my whole body was trembling.shaking.vibrating..and my heart is pounding..so i started methimazole 5mg twice a day..its been 12 days and im feeling better..

• Posted

I appreciate the support and encouragement....

If you read my earlier post, I have been on treatment for hyperthyroidism now for about 8 months . Originally I was put on Methimazole 15 mgs / day which after taking for about 4 weeks, I had my thyroid function under control, rapidly gained the weight I had lost and got all my thyroid hormones level at normal ....

In December, after 3 months of 15 mgs / day of Methimazole, , my Endocrinologist had me reduce dosage to 10 mg. I was fine on this dosage for a couple of months then suddenly started loosing weight and getting back some of those familiar symptoms of hyperthyroidism, despite the fact that blood work for thyroid function was good at normal level..... now, this really bothered me....

Desperate because I was going down fast....I upped my dosage of Methimazole back to the original 15 mgs about a couple of weeks ago...

I am glad to report that finally after about 10 days on 15 mgs I suddenly have positive results....

I have stopped losing weight and within days, gained whatever I lost. Symptoms are in check and feeling much better....

I just thought I'd post this positive remarks to perhaps encourage someone who might be facing similar a situation. Of course always important to consult with your doctor .......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.