Milk/lactose intolerance

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've had IBS and been diagnosed with GERD for years now. I've always suspected I was intolerant to some foods but wasn't sure what

But i sort of knew I had a problem with milk so last month I bought lactase enzyme tablets and I must say so far it's improved my symptoms of severe diarrhoea after almost every meal. Maybe it's psychological and placebo effect so I don't want to celebrate just yet till after a month of taking them

I have got an appointment with a consultant in 2 weeks. My questions are

Can a consultant do an allergy test for me as I suspect its more than milk I'm allergic to

Is it possible to get the lactase enzyme tablets on prescription as they are quite dear

I'm allergic to a few things as I have an auto immune condition which is also diagnosed already

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I have a lactose intolerance and no you cant get Lactase tablets on prescription. If its only Lactose you have a sensitivity to then they will work but they dont work against eg dairy protein or dairy fat. Its a question of trying them and seeing if they help. I always have some around in case I need them but have found its easier to try and avoid all the foods with dairy in them. In Uk you should be able to look at all pre packed food and find the allergies listed. Gluten and milk are always listed in darker type. It becomes easier as you begin to learn what you can and cant eat.

Dont only buy the expensive "free from" foods , there are plenty of things that are outside this range...just look at the allergens

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.