Mirtazapine and propranolol

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys.

Was prescribed these at the same time. 40mg propranolol twice a day, 15mg mirtazapine at bedtime. I'm one week in.

Anyone else been put on this combination? What are your experiences? Thanks, Ant.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I am taking 15 mg of Mert but was wondering what the Isoproponolol is for? Is it for anxiety?

• Posted

As I understand it, the mirtazapine is to address my depression, the propranolol is like a baseball bat to my anxiety. And it really works, within two hours of the first tablet, all the adrenaline that was making me nauseous and shaky every day was gone, and as a result I find daily situations easier to cope with, which in turn immediately raised my mood.

I'm still waiting for the mirtazapine to have an effect other than weird dreams, but I have high hopes now. The downside is a different kind of mild nausea and fuzzy headaches, but I'm told they will pass, I'll be sticking with it.

• Posted

Glad to hear you're making progress. I have some anxiety too but I'm not taking anything besides Mertazapine. Some days are better than others. The Mertazapine is mainly for insomnia. They say it's not addictive but that's not true. You get addicted to having a good night sleep.

• Posted

Very true. about the addiction to a good nights sleep
  • Posted

Hi Anthony,

I have experienced mirtazapine and propranolol. The latter...the beta blocker I did not like .  it was prescribed as an safe alternative to diazapam. It just me feel physically unwell if I took any exercise...even just walking . Not for me

• Posted

Really glad you are feeling okay on both.  Propanolol is generally for high blood pressure and can make you feel like you are carrying a ball and chain on your ankle.  It would kill me.  Bear in mind that mirtazapine is a known cortisol suppressant.
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on Mirt now for 7 years and recently was precribe Propranolol due to palpitations caused by Hyperthyroid. I take Propranolol 40mg 2 times a day and 30mg Mitt at bed time. I notice am having really problem sleeping. Please any advice?

• Posted

Hi Charles.

I'm now on 30mg Mirt and 40mg Prop twice a day.

I too am having disturbed sleep. Before I started Mirt and Prop I had no problems sleeping.

However, the benefits I'm getting in terms of reduced anxiety and improved mood make it worth a bit of sleep disturbance.

• Posted

Me too and I still have palpitations. So I don't really know if Propranolol is working for me

• Posted

Hi all.

I found this post just when was looking for some advice and I know that the post is over a 2 years old 😃

I just been prescribed 15mg Mitr and 10mg Prop.

Hope some of you guys still linked to this post and could advise me how you been doing now? what to expect etc...

fingers crossed

AJ

• Posted

hey hope u good. I was in 15mg of mirtaz and 20mg of propananol up to 3 times a day. i suffer from severe aniexty. the mirtaz helped to sleep but made me feel super groggy. all the time which in time made me anxious. I stop the .mirtaz and went to propa anol as and when. I feel so much better. please speak to ya dr as its bad stopping like did. but it also worked. r

• Posted

i know this post is like 4 years old but i felt compelled to chime in with my experience. i have been on 40mg of propranolol and 30mg of mirtazapine for 4 years now (although i did start out on 15mg of mirtazapine but it just didnt work out for me). when i first started taking the medication i made the stupid stupid mistake of drinking whilst trying to get used to them. this was the worst thing i ever did, and i urge anyone who has just started this medication to NOT do this!! i would blackout completely after like 2 drinks, apparently i was non stop crying but non verbal for hours. i did this 3 days on the medication, knowing i went through this i went and drank the next day!!!!! that next day was worse. please let yourself get used to the medication before trying to have a drink. it'll save you from just hurting yourself even more.

but!!! i am now 4 years in. i do see an improvement, im not perfect and im still a while away from being completely better. but the propranolol honestly saved me. i dont get panic attacks nearly as bad, my heart rarely gets palpitations. and the mirtazapine completely cured my insomnia. i fall asleep within 10 minutes without a doubt. its also really really helped my depression. not completely!! i do have bad days. but nothing like before i started my medication.

some side effects tho.... i do get horrible nightmares. like nothing could prepare me for them. they are quite bad, not gonna lie. annnd i have sadly put on quite a bit of weight. but honestly its all worth it for better mental health.

i think the mix of propranolol and mirtazapine works really well. propranolol keeps you up, but mirtazapine knocks you out hahahaha.

i definitely agree with whoever said mirtazapine can be addictive. i genuinely believe i wouldnt be able to sleep or go about my day without it now. but yeh, whatever

• Posted

mo this is an old post nut so scared to take the mirtazapine and prop together did amyone feel strange or weird i suffer with bad anxity

• Posted

Hi I have just taking 15mg Mitrazapine at night and 40 mg propranolol twice a day no symptoms yet anybody else ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.