Mirtazapine and sertraline is this ok?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My doctor has just prescribed me 50Mg sertraline to go with the 30mg Mirtazapine ive been on for 6 months for anxiety which it does nothing for im reluctant to start this combo any advice greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Edited

yes it is. mirtazapine with any ssri or snri, tends to work well, better than each on their own, for more severe depression/anxiety. its much better than upping mirt. mirt effects seratonin and noradrenalune effect. high doses of mirt can be too activating because of the high noradrenaline effect. you have a decent dr, who is aware that mirt combos can work very well. depending on how it goes, you might reduce mirt to 22.5mg, and increase the sert dose. sert only effects seratonin. therefore by adding it to mirt, you are increasing seratonin, but nit nordrenaline effect. it shouldnt be too stimulating as 45mg of mirt would be. there are synergies using combos. be thankful you have a dr that is aware of using combos, most arent.

• Posted

given its anxiety you have, if it was me, id have the mirt dropped to 22.5mg, and sert increased to 100mg, if you dont feel better after 4 or 5 weeks or so.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice,just not keen on the side effects of sertraline.Had 22.5 for last 3 or 4 nights because i only had a couple of 45mg tabs left until i got my prescription today but doctor told me to go back to 30 which i have now tonight

• Posted

follow your drs advice for now. for most people with anxiety, up to 22.5mg of mirt works best. your dr knows what he is doing, so follow there advice. they know that 45mg of mirt is likely to make your anxiety worse, hence adding sert. a poster on here, seratonin surfer, knows loads about different doses of sert and mirt.

• Posted

I have awful tension in my chest area no rapid heart beat i dont think,Its there from when i wake and is really bad then a dull ache general tension and nausea zero appetite feel like just stopping these mirtazapine dread to think what ill feel like when i add sertraline any thoughts of what to do

• Posted

I have dropped the mirtazapine to 22.5MG and havent started the sertraline yet dont know wether im going to either dont want to feel worse,getting chest pain feels like im going to have a heart attack sometimes its that bad feel like i want to stop taking anything altogether.Anxiety is through the roof once again in left of chest cant take this much longer.

• Posted

hello lee, your symptoms are normal. its good youve dropped the mirt. it will take a while to settle down. personally, i feel drs and pyscs pescribe too high a dose of mirt, thinking the higher the dose, the more sedating it will be. for most people its not. you get more sedation, but the increase in dose means that the increase in the noradrenaline effect of mirt, energises/stimulates people too much, and over powers the sedation effect. lots of people on here say they were okay on up to 22.5mg, but when they went to 30mg, thats when their anxiety got seriously out of hand. trouble is with anti depressants, and dose changes, they take so long to work. your anxiety symptoms are typical, and can be worse than you are currently experiencing. tell your dr about your symptoms, and ask if you can have a benzo, while you are sorting out your meds. a benzo will get rid of your anxiety immediately. drs dont like pescribing, as you quickly become dependant on them. if you reach a certain level of anxiety, where you are losing control, a dr will then pescribe them. stick with it, and make sure you describe your symptoms to your dr accurately. all the best. unfortunately, you are waiting for the changes to take effect, which can take weeks or months.

• Posted

Have to stay on 22.5 and see how it goes unsure about starting the sertraline at same time got to have bloods done and ecg tests doctor talking about something called venlaxfine im lost with all this.Thanks once again for advice

• Posted

i take venlafaxine and mirt. started on ven only, got up to a very high dose of 337.5mg. my diagnosis is recurring depression. above 187.5mg of ven, i didnt improve. the dose would be increased, just to stand still. i pushed really hard for mirt to be added. ive done loads of research, the combination of ven and mirt is the most successful anti depressant, bar none. thats either a single anti dep, or a combo. its less well practised in uk. pysc said no. id recently found an excellent dr (rare as hens teath), he okayed it. i know so much about depressiin and anti deps, that my dr allowed me to find the best dose. i settled on 225mg of ven, and 22.5mg of mirt. the improved effect was almost immediate, and has taken my recovery to another level. my pysc was so utterly wrong. it works quicker when you add mirt to ven, than the other way around. show this message to your dr. ven and mirt are symbiotic, they compliment each other so well. i managed to get 2 other people on here to get their pyscs to do the same. the pyscs didnt have any other recommendations or ideas, so they did it for them. 1 has had an amazing recovery, complete turnaround, the other is still a work in progress but heading in the right way. he hadnt been on ven very long, so addition of mirt is taking longer to work. the 1 very successful one, had previously been on 45mg of mirt, which wasnt working. she switched completely to ven. got to 300mg, and ven still wasnt doing it, not far off from being hospitalised. told her to get her pysc to reduce ven to 225mg, and add mirt back in at 15mg. in 3 weeks, had a complete turnaround. her pysc took 10 days to agree to it, but wow what a difference. her pysc actually wanted her to go to 375mg of ven only. she cannot believe her recovery. same with me, but difference it made was not so large, as i wasnt in as bad a conditiin when i did it. ven on its own, is poor for anxiety, better for depression. ven plus mirt, is better than just ven or mirt on its own. ven has a flaw in it, which mirt addresses. same for mirt, as so many people cannot tolerate mirt at 39mg or above. at 30mg and above, mirt can be a beast.

• Posted

if you suffer mainly from anxiety, ven will probably not work, as going above 150mg is unlikely to work, as thats when it starts working as a snri. mirt is dual action, but at 22.5mg, the sedation deals with the noradrenaline effect. dropping mirt to 22.5mg from 30mg, and adding ven up to 150mg, will reduce noradrenaline effect, and increase seratonin effect.

• Posted

Yes its anxiety mainly life events made it worse which everyone has,Runs in my family history of depression bi polar all on medication,Now i have succombed to taking it. its constant while trying to remain normal to outside world,just wish could cope better with something that helps the anxiety im sick of looking for an answer to it.Gone down to this 22.5mg for last 5 days feel worse than ever a different kind of anxiety all in my chest keep thinking its my heart got ecg and bloods next wk also take propanolol 40mg up to 3 times a day which dont think does anything at all for me.Hopefully 22.5 will settle down?

• Posted

what anti dep were you on previously, and what dose. you should try cbd. it works, but takes time. have been taking it on and off for 5 months. took for 2 weeks then would stop, as wasnt sure was helping. watched a programme recently where a mother gave it to her child for seizures. nothing happend at first, after 6 weeks, they stopped. realised they probably work like anti depressants, ie 6 weeks. ive been doing cbd for just over 3 weeks now, starting to feel a benefit.

• Edited

its pretty standard to get the heart issue feeling. used to get them years ago. after a few years, realised i hadnt died, and chest issues went away. its highly unlikely your heart, its chest muscles, large and small ones, contracting, due to anxiety. anxiety chemicals cause muscles to tighten.

• Posted

Havent tried any other antidepressant ever properly until mirtazapine had prescriptions for citalopram fluoxetine amitriptlyne them all but too scared to take them because of side effects so i dont know wether to try a different 1 dont want to be on 2 different meds really

• Posted

you need to find out results of your heart test. then do as they say. mirt is a step up from citalopram. citalopram is very good if its right for you. its a question of finding the right med. side effects go away. when you start a med, you almost always have side effects, for a month of two, then they go away and you feel normal. you need to carry on taking them, as youll probably go back to being anxious. i dont know much about beta blockers for anxiety, but benzos get rid of anxiety immediately. theyre addictive, so drs only give them when you start an anti depressant, to get you through the anxiety period. when the anti depressant is working after a couple of months, you come off the benzo, as you dont need them. most people have to go through the initial side effects, before they get better. let me know how you get on.

• Posted

as its anxiety, your drs advice about adding sert to mirt is a sound choice. one i would accept definately. taking two you may not want to do, but it will give you a better result, and easier, than trying a new one, especially venelafaxine on its own.

• Posted

Thanks so much once again you have been a great help.Going to stay on this 22.5mg of mirtazapine and try pluck up the courage to take the sertraline over next few days.Also had an assessment for councelling and been offered cbt but 8 week wait so fingers crossed.

• Posted

I am a lot better than i was not been on here in a good while but struggling again so im back here for advice?im on 200mg Sertraline and 30mg Mirtazapine been up and down but feel anxious agsin last few weeks lot of life events loss greif so am thinking to up the mirtazapine to 45mg along with the 200sert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.