Mirtazapine, Cipralex and Melatonin

Posted , 3 users are following.

in trying to reduce mirt without losing sleep, I took 10mg of melatonin at night along with the 7.5mg mirt. The last two days have been hell. Nausea, headache, feeling weird and increased anxiety. Took melatonin to help me sleep but what I didn't know is that melatonin has side effects like nausea, headaches and depression. This is the last time I take melatonin. Please b careful out there.

im determined to get off Mirt but I wonder if I would be better if I stayed on 30mg Amiri and drop the cipralex.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi PaulMar,

10mg is WAY too much melatonin. You only need 1-2mg, unless you have something like Alzhiemer's or a problem with your brain where it doesn't make enough melatonin itself. My mom had Alzheimer's and I would buy her the 10mg cherry-flavored sublingual tabs and only give her half, every night.

I tried melatonin myself a few times while on mirtazapine and it was just weird. Now that I'm not on mirt I can take melatonin occasionally and it's ok. But really, melatonin is only for resetting your clock, not to be taken every night. If you're coming off mirtazapine you're going to have a few nearly-sleepless nights while your brain adjusts. That's normal. It gets better. If you can get a week's worth of benzos from your doctor to help calm you down and sleep while you're getting off mirtazapine, that would be ideal.

Have you talked to your doctor about coming off mirtazapine? In my experience, whenever someone cuts down mirtazapine while they're on another AD, it's tougher to do. I just went off mirtazapine cold turkey 6 weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all, but then again I was only taking that one med.

• Posted

Yes, my doctor thinks mirt is causing me to be more anxious and this is why he wants me to get off of it. After this I could try to increase cipralex from 10mg to 15 and 20. Yesterday I had a pretty good day but today I woke up with mucous and anxiety. Took clonazapam which isn't helping. 

• Posted

I agree with mud93433 that 10 mg is way to much. A doc would prescripe you 3-5 mg. I occasionaly take melatonin to help with sleep. Take three small tablets (a little less than 0,3 mg). If you decide to take melatonin, don't ever take it in the middle of the night. I take 0,3 mg at 21:30, then I take 0,6 mg at 22:30. By 23:30 when I go to bed, I usually feel really sleepy. If you sleep really, really bad, I guess you can double this dose to 6 tablets, which is a little less than 2 mg. 

Works for me most of the time. Hope you start to feel better real soon!

I actually think if you take it in small doses, it can actually help your depression since your serotonin stores are spared for a small amount.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.