Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there a protocol for titrating off Mirtazapine? I used the Ashton Manual when I was coming off a benzodyazinpine (Clonazapam - 15 years) a few years ago and it was very helpful in making slow, steady cuts.

I Can't seem to locate a chart or site for reducing Mirtazapine.  I am on 45 mg. (for one  month), have been on 30 for several years. My goal is to get down to 15 mg - I don't want to taper too fast, having been through that with. Already feeling some negative side effects after dropping my Mirtz. dose on alternate nights (30 mg one / 45 mg the next).  Any help would be apreciated.  K

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karin

Yes there is a slow withdrawal method.  I am sending you a private message as it's quite lengthy.

Wishing you well

C

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I'm so glad I found this forum - I am also desperate for information about tapering off Mirtazapine.  I tried to buy the Back to Life book from CITA but they are no longer in action and therefore couldn't download it. I've been on 45mg of Mirtazapine for 3 years now and feel great but am tired of the constant over eating and excess weight gain. No amount of exercise or healthy eating seems to shift it. I was put on it after a horrific experience with zoloft which caused me to have electric shock sensations right through my body for 3 days - it was so severe, I ended up in hospital for a week on valium! I really feel like I've got over my depression now and am in control of everything else (apart from eating!) but am absolutely terrified if I stop taking mirtazapine it will bring the depression back, which was so horrible, I just don't want to go there again.

I'm English but live in Australia and I don't think we can get the liquid solution here to taper off only the tablets. I'm only 44 and don't want to be dependent on this drug forever. Any advice is really welcome. Thank youx

• Posted

Hi - I've just received a personal email from the remaining person at CITA with some advice.  Seems like it's going to be a very long process and he mentioned that Mirtazapine is the worst of antidepressents to come off (from everyone has said).  Anyway, will try and brave it out and hopefully come off this horrible drug.
    • Posted

Hi Vicky

There is a group of us that have joined a group on Facebook. It's been set up to help each other through the withdrawal process. There is so much help on it from others that have managed to get off it. Plus some of us are going through WD. I joined a month ago and it's really helped me. It's a private group so can only be seen by the users. Why don't you join ? Let me know what you think.

• Posted

I can't remember if I thanked you for the information that you sent earlier  this week. THANK YOU!!  The charts are great and I will be able to figure out the lower titrations when I get that far.

I have never had to titrate off an antidepressant, guess I just switched from one to another. I was not prepared for the cornicupa of nasty withdrawal symptoms (and I've really just started the process).

Again many thanks.

• Posted

Very happy to help; I hope all goes well for you, maybe keep us posted of your progress?  Remember, if at any time wd symptoms get difficult don't lower the dose further until you feel stable again, even if it takes weeks or months.  It has been said that wd can also raise it's ugly head once you've stopped all together, some stay at 3.5 mg for a long time, we're all different, see how you go.

Wishing you well, take care.

Yes, you did thank me smile

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Thank you - Calmer has private messaged me and is going to add me to the group.

Best wishes,

Vicki

• Posted

Hi karin

Calmer may have mentioned to you about joining our group on Facebook. It's a support group. I joined about a month ago and it's helped me. I also had to join Facebook at that point!!

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Hope you're having a good day, i'll get back to you soon - just wanted to wish you well for now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.