Mirtazipine is not working

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm looking for some help I have been taking 30mg of mirtazipine for around 15month and it has stopped working !! I feel very poorly fast heart nausea can't sleep but really tired and extremely panicked what can I do please will I get withdrawal if I cut down to 15mg then 7.5 then stop over a few month? I can't afford to be feeling this poorly any advice would be highly appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi lindzi

Sorry you are feeling so bad but I can relate as this happened to me

Don't just stop taking them you don't need bad withdrawal on top of how you are feeling

Have you spoken to the doc yet? I think that's your first port of call. He'll probably give you some diazipam for the moment while you come up with a plan for your next move.

Personally I've had to go on something else. But I'm 5 months into where you are now

Stay strong here to help if you need it

S x

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply are you feeling better now? Are you off mirtazipine? I'm at my gp this afternoon x

• Posted

When the venlafaxine I was on stopped working sufficiently, I was afraid that the psychiatrist would take me off that (and I'd have withdrawal effects) before starting me on something else, but what he actually did was to add on mirtazapine and the combination has worked well for me. So perhaps you could suggest adding venlafaxine to the mirtazapine?

• Posted

Hi, i have just come off mirtz, was on 30mg, i cut down to 15mg for a few weeks then i cut down to 7.5mg for abt 4 weeks. I have had no withdrawal symptoms at all. I was on mirtz for abt 10months. I also take fluoxetine, which went well together, but i feel that i don't need mirtz anymore. My sleeping and anxiety are all back to normal now.

Good luck

D

• Posted

I'd be concerned about the fast heart as it was the first thing I noticed when the mirt appeared to 'poop out' and I could no longer sleep. I didn't know it at the time but I had developed hyperthyroidism and this was the real reason for my sudden anxiety and insomnia after mirtazapine had worked so well for me. I only found out after I came off it and developed some other symptoms such as being unable to eat (the mirt had masked that of course). I do have my suspicions that the mirtazapine caused my hypperthyroidism. It does slow your metabolism down and I wonder if your thyroid tries to compensate for this by churning out more thyroxine. I would go to your GP and see if you can have youe thyroid tested. Not just TSH (because that is the usual first test they do and can be normal to begin with), but also T4 and T3. Just in case. I developed some quite serious heart problems before my thyroid was brought under control.

?If you do not have thyroid problems (or even if you do), take a look at the mirtazapine withdrawal thread here:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-withdrawal-tips-and-experiences-thread-498889?

• Posted

Wat u r feeling sounds like withdrawels. I would consult ur dr. For me i couldnt take that drug. I has about 50 or more tremors its kinda like wat ur feeling i just wanted to crawl out my skin. On my way to the ER i did anything i could of not 2 feel that way i even hit myself. I will never take that again and some drs call it n i hope im spelling it right but its called remeron. Good luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.