Mirtrazapine not helping me sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Been on sertraline since may last year and dose gradually increased to 200mg but gave me debilitating anxiety. Am cross tapering 1 week 150mg, next week 100mg and this week 50mg with 15mg mirtazapine at night. Was hoping for great sleep but first night woke up 3 times and last night woke up 4 times then got up at 6:30am. Have been taking at 9pm. Anyone have similar experience? I am hopingbthey will start to work soon!

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Even though mirt knocked me out I still didn't sleep until I'd been on it a few weeks and my dose was increased to 30mg. After that I slept really well for over three years until it suddenly stopped working. So even though it is very sedating, you have to find the dose that's right for you. 15mg didn't work for sleep for me.
    • Posted

Evergreen thanks I hope the 30mg works for me. Just starting that dose today.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying...feel more hopeful now you've said that
  • Posted

Hi I started with 15mg and i knocked my out for a few days but then again I am also taking Clonazepam which is a double whammy.  It is a benzo and I was hoping by going on the Remeron we could taper me off hasn't happened yet.  Hang in there is does take 1-2 weeks before you really notice.  Everyone and bodies are different.  Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Kathy

• Posted

Thank  you very much Kathy....good to know that it could still work!
  • Posted

I been all the way up to 200mg sertraline although it's helped it's not enough for my depression and fear which I feel just comes with the depression after the birth of my daughter (pnd) I'm now down to 100mg and dr wants to add mirtazapine but I'm worried il get fat sad I don't want to gain weight I'd rather a different drug but my phyciatrist seems to think mirtazapine gets results. Nor so I want to be a zombie I already feel like I'm only half living in a fog and don't care. Any advise would be great. I hope it goes well for u !!! X
    • Posted

Hi Rachel. When I had very severe PND I was put on lofepramine. It took around 3 weeks to work, but when it did, it gave me my life back. I actually lost half a stone on it. After six months, my GP took me off it and I did two weeks at half dose then off. I had absolutely zero withdrawal symptoms. However, when I tried it again fifteen years older, it did nothing for me. But neither did several different SSRIs. Mirtazapine worked like a dream this time. However, if weight gain is really an issue for you then steer well clear of mirt. Whilst not everyone puts weight on, the vast majority do. Even those, like myself, who have always been slim. I put on 20 pounds. I did manage to lose most of it whilsst on mirt, but it meant a whole year of writing down every single calorie I ate or drank and working out virtually every day; not something that was sustainable and I am pleased to be almost off it now. The other consideration is that it is a very difficult AD to withdraw from. You have to do it very slowly, esppecially that very last bit.
    • Posted

I was on sertraline 5 years after my son and it worked at 50mg now it now got me back after 12months on it and up to 200mg. I came off it while pregnant and went back on it when my daughter was 6weeks old. I feel dizzy all the time but pnd makes me feel dizzy and disconnected it's not the med. It's like I don't wake up I'm only half here but I'm not deeply depressed anymore but the lightheaded feeling is awful and I'm flat sad I can't face been fat iv always been slim and the extra weight after a baby upsets me. I'd rather be happy of cause but if there is other options to try I feel I'd rather avoid them. I was think about venlafaxine maybe. I tried trazodone it make me very sick. Fluoxetine sent me very agitated sad
  • Posted

Update....had better sleep last night although still woke up twice during the night. Went back to sleep quickly and slept very well. Felt woozy during morning but a pleasant wooziness....very calm, chilled and smiley. Haven't noticed increase in appetite at all....hopefully it stays that way! Thank you all for your help X 
    • Posted

Great to hear.  Yes you do get a little dizzy until your body becomes acccustomed to it.  I still do not sleep straight thru the night but at least I am sleeping and not feeling tired inthe morning.  On wards hope it keeps working.  Did my 1st 30mg last night and slept deeply but restless.  Body needs to get used to the new dose for me.  Hope you hvae a better sleep tonight smile
    • Posted

Good luck with the 30mg Kathy! Slept again this afternoon for couple of hours...feeling v. Stoned but v. Relaxed
    • Posted

No there is something else going on with me and the anxiety.  I have actually lost another 2 pounds.  Altogether 42 pounds.
    • Posted

Yes you might need those cat naps at first but it does get better
    • Posted

Yes I remember not eating and been sick a lot. I'm not as bad as a was but I still have constant background anxiety and dizziness like my head just can't take anymore. I'm exhausted after having it 15months. Would people recommend mirtazapine for anxiety and low mood ? I'm concentration is rubbish too.
    • Posted

Only on 4th pill and anxiety has gone....though I'm sure it was caused by sertraline. Also feel good if very drowsy. Mirtazapine looking much better than sertraline for me so far, though it is early days. Hope you find the right med soon Rachel....so far so good for mirtazapine!
    • Posted

Maybe I shouldn't worry about weight but I'm getting married soon too; I know it sounds so vine. I'm a bad eater as it is snaking all the time. I went on sertraline after they tried me on fluoxetine and omg that did blow my head off with manic anxiety: dangerous! So from that anything was better but sertraline has been a up and down road but never rid of anxiety (sometimes lower) do u ever feel like your in fog ? Like u real unreal ? This is my main issue I'm in a weird haze x
    • Posted

I would give it a try if you are not on anything else.  I never really had any adverse reactions except being tired for the first while.  Did help lessen the anxiety but now that I have started the 30mg yesterday seems to have eased quite a bit.  I do not do well on meds but this one I seem to tolerate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.