More advise please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am just about to start my 3rd 10% reduction dose from 30mg Mirt which is slightly under 19mg which I plan to take for 2 weeks. I have to say 'so far so good' That said, I am already stressing because all that I read seems to point towards problems coming further down the line eg 7.5mg etc. Please could someone advise if this is likely. Also today I read that someone reduced to 15mg and has already started losing weight (I have gained and need to shift almost 3 stones gained since starting 30mg around 18 months ago)

I remember reading that weight doesn't start moving until the dose is below 15mg. Once again, advise please. Many thanks.

Apart from the weight gain this drug suits me well, if I thought I could reduce the dose and achieve weight loss I would settle for that. At least 2 stones of this weight has to go, it is proving detrimental to my health in many ways and makes me so lethargic. I feel as though I am wearing a suit of armour made of fat.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lorraine - is the reason you are coming off is because of the weight gain.  I was  on 15mg for 21 days and then increased to 22.5mg because still had no energy and felt hopeless now been at this dose for 27 days.  I have actually lost another 2 pounds. I am again feeling no energy.  I also have to take Clonazepam for the anxiety that I still get inthe daytime.  Did the 30m reduce your anxiety?  Are you are any other meds?  Have you started a doing a lot of walking and maybe going to the gym to try and lose the weight? Cut back your portions of food.  I really have no appetite for food just eat because I need to.  I do not know what Stones are for weight as I am from Canada..  I was hoping Remeron would help taper me off the benzo?   
    • Posted

Yes, the reason is the weight, it's dreadful. I am hoping that the lower the dose the food cravings will go and so will the weight and I will then have more energy.

i am not on any other meds other than HRT. 

I am 65 and I still manage to do domestic cleaning work for a couple of hours three days per week, I also walk my dogs for 20-30mins most days. 

(3 stones = approx 17kilos) I think.

• Posted

Oh wow that is a lot and I keep losing since I got the anxiety.  I have lost about 42 pounds.  But you say the Remeron is good for anxiety and depression
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine. I did notice a reduction in my appetite when I got below 15mg, but I actually put on two pounds between 7.5 and 0.5mg! Part of that is because I stopped rigorously counting calories though. I did manage to lose a stone whilst still on 30mg but it was very hard! I was expecting to start to lose weight without much effort by the time I got to where I am now, but even at this very low amount (only 0.4mg) I am not losing any. I am hoping I will when I come off it fully.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

No need to stress, good news is I'm below the 7.5 doing a very slow taper similar to yourself and its been ok ... although we are all different and suffer different symptoms, mine is fatigue, it's quite common, but at your stage I was fine, just keep waiting for any sensations for up to 2 weeks (or 3 weeks) and hold if you get any - they pass.  

My appetite was like yours and I put on a lot of weight, once below about 9 or 10 mg my appetite was back to normal.

You'll be ok, keep it slow like you are doing, don't let your ego kick in and do a big jump down the mg because this is hard to recover from if you get sick.

Wishing you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.