Movicol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Any one have any experience of Movicol. I started this 2 days ago for constipation Ibs. I am trying to decide if the left sided stomach cramps low Down and lots of wind are due to this or because I decided not to take Mebeverine any more. The pain is the same ad I have had in the past Ibs although I was wondering about Diverticular disease. Any comments welcome

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Movicol often gives wind when you fist start taking it. It will settle down as your body gets used to it.
  • Posted

Taken this many times. It lacked consistency for me so sometimes I could take for a few weeks with minimal effect and then spend the best part of the next day in the loo but these are just my experiences so may work better for you. It is not overly powerful and does work. I took so much I only use intermittently as my body was going used to it hence why I may have struggled with it. 
  • Posted

In my experience you have to take quite a few doses before Movicol works because it is a very mild laxative.  However, I didn't get wind or stomach cramps with it.  These symptoms may be due to IBS.  I came off Mebeverine within 4 days because it made me significantly worse.

I take it you have been diagnosed with IBS?

• Posted

I have diverticular disease. This is confirmed by a scan and tests.

So you could have this.

I have no experilence of Movicol.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks all who replied my Doctor has changed me to Fybogel/mebervine mix which I am now trying so far so good it is nicer to take as well.
    • Posted

Update on my last post.  I have been taking the fybogel/membeverine for around 3 weeks and although the bloating and wind have improved my stomach still feels upset.  Not sure if this is my IBS similar pains also low back ache which I also get with IBS and also arthritis.  My bowel movements are now regular and soft.  I am waiting to see the gastro doctor but may appointment is 4 weeks away.  I went to my gp following a bout of constipation (I have IBSC)  because I experienced bleeding and possible urinary infection (although urine test was ok).  She did a rectal exam and said all was ok but possibly a internal hemmerhoid higher up.  I have suffered from external hemmoids in the past.  I returned to see her and she referred me to the hospital.  I expected it to be a more urgent appointment but at the time she did not think it was serious.  I am going to see her tomorrow to ask about a quicker appointment.  Althouth the bleeding seemed to have stopped over the last few days I noticed that over the last 3 weeks whilst some bowel movements were soft some were hard and compact (maybe old stools) and it was these that there was most blood on.  All this is made worse because I suffer from anxiety.  My husband recently under went colonoscopy and upper endscopy because of anemia.  We go to the hospital on Tuesday for biopsy results.  He had 8 polyps removed which on the report says look benign and biopsies from one at border of anus/rectum which they said was probably a hypertrophied papilla but could not rule out anything sinister.  His upper test showed everything normal except duodenitis with erosions.  He was taken off long term ibuprofen and omeprazole but may have to go back on the omeprazole.  Added to this I had heart scan tests for angina early January and they kept me waiting for weeks just to find out everything ok.  You can imagine my anxiety levels the last couple of months.  Anyone have experience of fybogel and how it works and whether it actually clears old stool and how long this would take.  I am worried about staying on this long term although my gp says yes to do so.  By the way my blood tests have come back normal no anemia,inflammation or infection.  Any comments or advice would be welcome.  Thanks.

• Posted

Anxiety will be keeping your stomach upset. Try Buscopan instead in case Mebeverine is causing irritation.  Mebeverine can be very toxic and many people can't tolerate it.   Your symptoms are common in IBS flare ups.

• Posted

Thak you for your reply.  I was prescribed Buscopan some years ago but could not take as it is can worsen glaucoma which I have.  I had taken meberverine for some time with no problems as far as I know and it did help with cramps.  Just before all the currents problems I decided to try and do with it as I was not sure about long term use.  Maybe it was a mistake I was wondering if as well as the Fybogel/Mebeverine drink in the morning I should take mebeverine again before lunch and dinner.  I will try and remember to ask my gp tomorrrow.  
    • Posted

There should be dosage instructions printed on a label on the front of your Fybogel and Mebeverine packet.  If they are not there or you are still in doubt, ask your doctor.  I was told to take Mebeverine 3 times a day.  However, after one tablet, I had horrible side effects.
    • Posted

I used to take mebervine tablets 3 times a day for some years.  They were helpful and I did not get side effects unless I confused any of them with IBS Symptoms.  I do know that some people can't tolerate them at all.  I decided recently before the latest problems to try and come off them as I was worried about long term use.  Maybe I should not have done so. In addition to taking fybogel with added mebervine in the morning I will ask my gp if I should taking the mebeverine tablet before lunch and dinner again.  I should add that with the fybogel it does say the dose is twice a day and can go up to 3 times.  I only take one sachet in the moring which I find is enough but I still have some problems with bloating wind etc.  Not sure if this is the fybogel, IBS or my anxiety or maybe all three.  Oh well see what Gp says later to day.

• Posted

its ok to take things like movicol and fybogel long term but to be honest im surprised youre doing so well on it as psyllium can be really agrevating to the bowel. its actually not recommended for ibs lol but if it suits you then go for it - shows how different we all are hey!
    • Posted

Hello As I mentioned in my original posting I tried Movicol for 2/3 days but could not cope with the stomach cramps and bloating and wind worse than my IBS.  That is when my gp changed me to fybogel with mebeverine included in the powder.  I have just read the ingredients and it says 3.5grms of ispaghuke husk and 135mg mebeverine which is a normal dose before a meal.  It says that this product is for symptomatic relief of abdominal pain and bowel dysfunction associated with IBS.  I must admit I had never heard of before.  I will talk to my gp this afternoon about the pros and cons of taking it long term.  
  • Posted

I've been on Movicol (generic COcosmico) for many years with breaks of several months, but need it again everyday  (along with senna once a week) - only 1 teaspoon if i can as i feel my bowel has become lazy....do try to regulate with diet if you can....the constipation and bloating give me terrible pain about 4 am which wakes me up, so am always tired and vulnerable to infections.

I use Dicycloverine instead of Buscapan but too much can cause constipation too!!!!

?I soak linseeds every night with 2 organic prunes for the morning and include other starchy  veg of average fibre content - too much causes IBS

?It's a juggling act isn't it?

TaKE care

• Posted

Yes it is a Juggling act.  My gp wants me to stay on the fybogel/anxiety mebeverine for the time being have been on it nearly a month  I would much prefer to regulate by diet and was thinking of prune juice.  The trouble is my anxiety which is not good at the moment because of other health problems does not help with constipation added to which I take calcium on prescription which does the same.  I am on a diuretic for BP and I mentioned to my gp about this taking the water in the body and she did agree that could also be contributing to constipation.  It is a bit of a vicious circle really.  I am now drinking a lot more water and have cut down tea by half. I do have alot of veg and some fruit and wholemeal bread only two slices a day and porridge for breakfast.  I do think my main problem is the anxiety though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.