Mucus plug

Posted , 49 users are following.

For years I’ve suffered with a post nasal drip and build up of mucous at the back of my nose! When I get a cold it gets 10x worse. The mucus builds up to the point that it feels like it moves around and blocks my nasal passages so I can’t breath. Blowing normally does nothing to help. Eventually it will get so big it will drop now my throat making me gag and want to throw up!

Recently I’ve found that if I can make myself sneeze several times (by sticking tissue up my nose at tickling my nostril) to loosen it then I can blow it out. When I do get it out it’s a big 2p size blob of thick browny yellow mucus and tissue. It’s honestly the most figuring thing I’ve seen and due to the size I get why I gag and can’t breathe. 

Has anyone experienced this or have a solution to stop it? I’ve been to my doctor and they just give me beconase nasal spray which does nothing. 

Thanks

1 like, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you want to see images click the links below but be warned it’s gross 

Also only one nostril is big enough to blow it out of

Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they went to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. Users can upload images directly to this site by using the icon at the top right of reply boxes.

• Posted

Hi Renee, sounds to me like you may have a deviated septum. Did you get a ct scan of your sinuses? You may need to tested for Allergys. With a cold it will be worst because your nasal passage is narrowed if you have a deviated septum. Have you tried any medications or nasal sprays? I just had a ct scan all my sinuses are perfect . But I'm having a weird pain in my nostril. Feels like something stuck in there. But like you No mucas. I have to say I have a lot of facial pain, nerves, clenching, jaw pain, ringing in the ear, lip burning.I feel my jaw pain is causing severe pain in my nostrils. I too get post nasal drip after i eat. Do not have a clue, maybe allergy or reflux. Try the new flonase sensimist. It is very gentle and will not dry you out. Try Sudafed for post nasal drip. Try saline irrigation. Definitely get the ct scan it will help rule out problems.Keep me posted. Hope your feeling better.

Also try steam ,breathe thru your nostrils helps.

• Posted

I have the same THING!

JUST had surgery Wed., 3 days ago. Doc said mucus in there is like concrete ... TELL ME ABOUT IT! So hard to deal. I wonder, is it smthng like CF? What they spray in our skies? My Autoimmune diseases? It. Is. Not. Right!

• Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms and it just got severe in the past days. Nasal spray does nothing for me. I have trouble eating because whenever I swallow I feel it’s stuck at the point where the mucus is. I’m going to see an ENT. Have you done any endoscope or other test?
  • Posted

I've had endo's and all sorts of tests. But I have Lupus & Sjogren's Disease, Autoimmune diseases. It sounds like you could be having Autoimmune issues, too. ONLY a Rheumatologist will diagnose such conditions. You might Request an appt (or, Referral to see one, if Required by your insurance). One thing that Has helped: Getting off meds & chemicals & preservatives, and eating more organically. Blessings!

• Posted

I've had this for a few years. It's absolutely disgusting. Randomly the plug will travel from deep inside my nose, down my throat and into my mouth and I have to spit it out. The only thing I've found is helpful is this nasal spray called "Xlear Max." It's painful because it has capsasum and grapefruit seed extract but it's super moisturizing so it thins the mucous so it doesn't dry and create a "plug." Or at least it doesn't nearly as often. I've seen sprays with hyaluronic acid which holds a freakish amount of moisture in as well. I want to give that a try but I will once I use this stuff up. I've used a Neti Pot and tipped my head back far enough that the water runs down your throat then kinda "sucked it into my mouth." Super gross but it can be effective if you're just super miserable. Those of you who have had doctors check you out.. I'm curious if it attatches to the adenoids. 

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Do you have dry nose as well?

I’m having very dry nasal passages, I was always wondering why there’s glue-like clear mucus dripped and stuck between the back of my nose/soft palate and the top of my throat, even though l don’t have runny nose, which means there’s no excessive mucus in my nose...

I can’t even swallow it down or spit it out because it feels really sticky. It feels horrible when I swallow my saliva and drinking liquid, it’s like they got stuck up there. Is your mucus always stuck there like mine? Or they just come in to your mouth?

I want to try the spray you recommended. Are you much better now with less mucus?

• Posted

I know this was discussed a year ago but I had to reply..I have the exact same as you described above...Its sp frustrating too!I can feel mucus/infection sitting in my soft palate right where the throat is..And it almost feels like it could come out my throat any minute but won't budge..Than sometimes it's in my nose but can't blow it out.Its embarrassing bc I feel the need to clear my throat and nose almost all of the time.I know ot aggervates my partner but he's a trooper and rides it out with me!!!

• Edited

It's always dry... Like painfully so sometimes. I take a medication that dries me out severely. It creates dry mouth but also just dries any mucous membrane. Usually it dries hard inside my nose and then it makes it gluey between the back of my nose and my soft palate. It doesn't come into my mouth without doing this thing where I sort of use my tongue to create suction into my mouth by sticking my tongue to the roof of my mouth and pulling it away. I don't really know how to describe it... Some people do it when their throat itches? Otherwise it sits there and just accumulates. Coughing doesn't work usually at all and sneezing very rarely. When it does it's usually a disgusting surprise. I've also had issues with having my ears pop during pressure changes (they won't pop.. pressure accumulates in my skull) like while riding planes and during whether events that cause pressure changes. It gets so bad it causes migraines. Recently I traveled by car across country and spent time in the mountains.. I found that this dryness and thick mucous also played a part in these super painful changes in pressure. When I was able to keep it moisturized, I had zero problems keeping sinus pressure headaches at bay.  It was a really nice thing to figure out. I hope that helps.. and you aren't thee only person this happens to. I thought I was for a long time and doctors just thought I was crazy.

• Posted

Omg same...I don’t know how to cough out the phlegm, so I can only do the same thing as you do, sucking it out by sticking my tongue on the roof of my palate, but most of time I can’t pull out much just very little bit...and it’s back there right after. I’m having a bad habit of constant swallowing now although the mucus cannot go down.

I also have my right ear making strange pounding sounds when I belch. I just feel that my eustachian is affected by that too...don’t know if there’s any connection.

But you’re giving me an idea that maybe dryness can worsen the symptoms, the nasal passage is too dry so the mucus id unable to come out normally from the nose, and also result in thick mucus building up at the back instead.

How long has your problem been going on? Do you also find it very uncomfortable when you swallow your saliva or drinking liquid? Like a blocking feeling.

• Posted

Wow ladies on one hand I’m glad I’m not the only one but in the other hand sorry you’re suffering! 

Yes I constantly have dry nostrils too. Painful ones.  After I wrote this I went doctors and she gave me antibiotics and a diff nasal spray. Antibiotics cleared sinus pain but still get the mucous. 

Maybe not so bad with the good weather but still gross enough that I hate swallowing. I’m going to go back for an ent referral

• Posted

Hi Renee, me too I’m waiting for another ENT appointment, I just can’t give it up. I went to my GP like 15 times in the past month and he thought I was crazy and told me it was just anxiety and asked me to distract myself and eat(easy said than done). I couldn’t be convinced because only myself know how terrible the feeling is...man I can actually feel the gluey mucus/phlegm stuck at the back of my soft palate/back of my nose, which affects my swallowing a lot, and I sometimes I feel like choking on it when I take a deep breath, my saliva is very sticky. I also feel my voice is a bit lost. These are just not “all in my head”!!! 

It’s not cancer, but it’s killing you slowly in a different way...I lost so much weight because I wasn’t eating well and I withdrawn from so many activities. No life.

At least I find a bit comfort by knowing that people in this post understand how each other feels...but I really hope there’s something can help us get some relief.

• Edited

Wow, this is so me! I have had the sinus balloon surgery in the past six years, and I swear I think that my symptoms got worse without getting any better. I every so often, especially after sleeping will get up and have so much of that mucus in the back of my throat near my ears and throat meet in the back will be so sore that it will literally hurt to swallow. I use netibottle, nose sprays, etc... and the doctors will do that endoscope and say it looks fine and will tell me it is my anxiety. I know that it is not my anxiety, I believe that it does have something to do with the flap in the back of my throat near the eustation tube, that comes from your sinuses. I have always been that I have a large sinus cavity - and I have more teeth my mouth than most people do. I did not loose a few teeth when I was a child. So it makes me wonder if all that is inter-related. All I know is that I always feel like I have to swallow, or pop my ears, or feel like I have stuff in my nose that does not want to come out. I know that doctors are pretty smart, however sometimes I think even some things can stump them to make them think that they are going crazy!!!

• Edited

hi & WOW! You're the FIRST person i ever "met" besides my own sister that not only has the "baby teeth" (i have 4 ! ) but ALSO the EXACT same nose/disgusting plug issue!

For MANY YEARS, I was able to blow my nose once in awhile- like once every 2 weeks or so- to remove it, painfully at times but at least i had relief. The last couple of years it is DRIVING ME CRAZY because it moves around way back there- i can FEEL it- but its now so FAR back & so big i cant remove it. My doc thinks i am crazy . I Always had thought this had something to do with my overindulgence decades ago but now i dont know- i just know its hard to breathe & this is the FIRST PLACE i found where ANYONE has the exact same issue as me! I know i am replying to an old msg but i need to figure out what to do - no insurance

• Posted

also- I have the SAME ears needing to pop all the time issue as well - i used to have to do the hold your nose thing to pop them but after so many years of this - especially my Left ear always feeling blocked, i can now just like, pop my jaw without even trying for relief - as you would when yawning but w/o actually yawning-

I recently got a headcold type of flu- first time in many years i was so sick- my head felt completely underwater because of ears being completely blocked i ended up with a secondary infection of the sinuses & lungs - doc said he could see only solid white in my throat & sinuses but he cannot see what i KNOW is there! Anybody have answers yet? relief?

• Posted

hi! i know this an older thread but its the first time i found other people with the same thing as me! i was rereading these comments & "choking" caught my rye because as this gross sinus thing has gotten worse & worse, one of the newer symptoms i have experienced in the last few years is that Choking on my own saliva thing- its really scary when it happens & i hadn't really put the 2 together until i read what you said-

im sorry you or anyone here has been going thru this but feel like at least im not going crazy! I would love to know of any updates!

• Posted

hi hopeless

sorry you're suffering too. i literally just saw an ENT last week! A few months ago i started getting mucus in

my throat too like when you have a bad cold but i've been fine so pushed for an EnT appointment . He put a camera down my nose and said i have a lot of mucus and signs of acid reflux and recommended i use a sinus rinse! he said if that doesnt work then i have to go for a scan of my sinuses. so not much of an update here i'm afraid! just feel even more disgusting than i did a year ago

• Posted

wow! You know, my dr said those same exact words too?! i did everything he said for months- NOTHING! He had said i have lots of mucous down in my throat / Sinuses ( i smoke so he thinks it that naturally) Earlier this week i really thought i might get some relief as i was able to blow my nose by relaxing my nose & sinuses but i cant get the rest out- i really think this is some weird thing we all maybe have from birth? not sure - all i know is that now that i am older - all kinds of strange things are happening & it is awful to never find an answer from our Doctors! Thank You so much for giving an update! Please come back should You find out more okay ? xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.