Mucus plug

Posted , 49 users are following.

For years I’ve suffered with a post nasal drip and build up of mucous at the back of my nose! When I get a cold it gets 10x worse. The mucus builds up to the point that it feels like it moves around and blocks my nasal passages so I can’t breath. Blowing normally does nothing to help. Eventually it will get so big it will drop now my throat making me gag and want to throw up!

Recently I’ve found that if I can make myself sneeze several times (by sticking tissue up my nose at tickling my nostril) to loosen it then I can blow it out. When I do get it out it’s a big 2p size blob of thick browny yellow mucus and tissue. It’s honestly the most figuring thing I’ve seen and due to the size I get why I gag and can’t breathe. 

Has anyone experienced this or have a solution to stop it? I’ve been to my doctor and they just give me beconase nasal spray which does nothing. 

Thanks

1 like, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I have this same thing, does anyone know what it is yet?

My doctor told me it was silent reflux and gave me anti acid meds!

He did also suggest tiger balm to moisten my nose passage, I'm also rubbing this on my neck and chest like you would with vicks. He also said inhale steam using oils I'm using olbas oil!

This does seem to be having an effect.

I'm also sucking Strepsils and drinking honey and lemon! Anything for some relief!

• Posted

My nose has been hurting a lot lately so might try the tiger balm. Not heard from ent yet.

Why did they say silent reflux? 

• Posted

omg I have this same exact crap going on with me and it's driving me insane!!

• Posted

literally thought i was just dying from brain aneurysm or something. ears ringing straight day and night for 2+ months. severe headachs. jaw very tight, eyeballs hurt...... saw 4 different docs and none of them know a thing about all these symptoms couldnt get a diagnosis for the life a me........

• Posted

described me perfectly. google has me thinking i am dying for sure. could be so many things. and frustrating drs all dismiss as nothing. prolly end up in a crazy house bc of this!!

• Edited

holy s**t i cant believe i have finally found some people that actually understand what i have been going thru.

• Posted

Soooo I posted about this a long time ago and something happened recently and it stopped. I was on several medications for depression, anxiety, PTSD, migraine prevetative and allergies. I broke my foot and got a medical marijuanna card for pain but noticed that if i missed a dose of my medications that I felt fine while on the marijuana so i came off all but one tiny dose of my antidepressants and all anti anxiety medications using edible marijuana(i was a cigarette smoker for years so i didnt want to chance smoking anything for fear of becoming a smoker again). Right as I came off those medications and went onto new ones I was having intense pain dryness and a side effect of one of the new medications i started taking, had a very low possibility of causing something called Stevens Johnsons syndrome and it was also allergy season.. so i was taking Allegra, benadryl at night and a very low dose of amytryptyline(a migrain profilactic and antidepressant which is very drying). My pain got so intense i was doing neti pots, nasal sprays, laying under cool mist humidifiers, and the pain kept getting worse. My wife came in one particularly bad day and said the humidity was at like 85% so i get up and look at my the back of my throat and its BLEEDING! I immediately thought i had this stevens johnsons syndrome called my psychiatrist and was informed to go into urgent care (in a full blown panic attack as Stevens johnsons syndrome is where your skin on your body and organs bubles up and sloughs off and is irreversible and starts in your mucous membranes). I get in and the doc asks what meds im on, all of which are drying agents and tells me to consult with my psychiatrist to come off the one antidepressant that was drying, to stop using benedryl and sleep aids, drink 64oz of water a day, use saline nasal sprays and take a course of antibiotics. My mucosal membraines were so dry any level of agitation even blowing my nose or working out caused cracking and bleeding. The pain stopped with the antibiotics, the mucous plugs stopped, the pain came back into my sinuses after an emotionally traumatic event so they gave me valium for the anxiety that somehow relieved the pain in my sinuses and stopped it from turning into a migraine. Now im staying hydrated, using only allegra for allergies, and not using any antidepressant medications that cause dryness. I have a prn for anxiety and can now consciously relax my sinuses(almost like you relax the tension behind your eyes in meditations) and guess what?!?! no mucous plug in months. So my best guess is that this is a dehydration issue induced by medications, possible infection, and not enough fluid intake. I only use saline spray maybe once a week now and if i manage my stress my sinuses aren't painful. Medical Marijuana may have helped put everything into balance too. Long story short.. dont discount stress, and hydration. Even if you drink coffee or pop or other things still drink as much water as possible as close to 64 oz as possible. Check side effects of medications for dryness and make changes where possible,, make sure there is no infection. Use saline sprays as much as needed. I have an inkling its a combination of several things for many as it was for me. And maybe weed helps if its an option to eat it.

• Posted

hi! thank you very much for sharing that! Very Interesting! also much appreciated

• Posted

thanks so much. i have been dealing with this mess for quite some time and thought I was losing my mind. I wish you well and I thank you so much for taking the time to write all that because it really shed some light on what's going on probably and it looks like there are a lot of people that could really benefit from what you had to say and I thank you for it God bless

• Posted

soooo a few days ago i woke up to a fever, inflamed tonsils and a sinus infection. ive always had sinus issues, every dentist xray ever taken they laugh and say "do you have sinus issues?". Anyway last night i wake up at 3am because of the amount of phlem in the back of my throat.. it honestly feels like i didnt swallow my food all the way. So i go to the bathroom so i can so unlady like hack this thing up. I try over and over and finally i feel it and i cough because i was choking on it and BAM.. 2 inches by 2 inches this nasty phlem plug is staring at me in the bathroom sink. i was scarred. i still am, so of course i google wondering if this is normal and im so glad i found this post. im calling my primary tomorrow.

• Posted

I've had the same things - usually1-2 times a year -- ugh! Ever tried a netti pot? It Is Wonderful! I couldnever imaginedoingit, but after my nasal surgery, the ENT demanded it. So I watched some YouTube videoson it, did it, and beendoing itover a year now. The Saline rinses clears it out!

• Posted

coming across this makes me realize i am not crazy. continuing issues since i had all my teeth pulled and got dentures. if i had a dollar for every hour i spent in the bathroom trying to relieve all or some of my symptoms. my ears have given me a lot of problems. lots of discharge. feeling full. i take a shower daily and spend almost an hour coughing up crap. for a short time after i feel unclogged for the most part but not completely. and clogged feeling short time later. i wonder if it all ties together. i know it has affected work. social. all of it. days in bed just not feeling good. i have thousands of dollars in dr bills now that have accumulated. not to count all the money on different or the same meds. lots of antibiotics and steroids. it would be a temporary relief. my husband is so irritated by it. i cant explain it. sigh of relief i am not alone!!!

• Posted

i never respond to these forums but it is the first that i came across that explains the same issue i am having.

this sticky piece of gunk in my nose that comes and goes but this time i cant get rid of it.

its so frustrating, absolutely cannot even sleep because of this and when i use saline solution, i end up getting a sinus infection, plus for the first time my ears are blocked too. bah!!!

have you guys read the book called "sinus survival", it might help as the doctor author himself had sinus problems. a different angle to virus and bacterial triggers.

have anyone been able to find a way to remove and prevent this from happening?

• Posted

Thank you for your post. I have the same issue, only mine started after having my deviated septum "FIXED" supposedly. When I went back to Dr, he said everything is great.. I have to pull scabs/hard mucus out of my nose really high up, but nothing come out the nose. Do that to breath and throw up to release mucus..

What the heck is this... How is this "looking great" per Dr...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.