Mucus plug

Posted , 49 users are following.

For years I’ve suffered with a post nasal drip and build up of mucous at the back of my nose! When I get a cold it gets 10x worse. The mucus builds up to the point that it feels like it moves around and blocks my nasal passages so I can’t breath. Blowing normally does nothing to help. Eventually it will get so big it will drop now my throat making me gag and want to throw up!

Recently I’ve found that if I can make myself sneeze several times (by sticking tissue up my nose at tickling my nostril) to loosen it then I can blow it out. When I do get it out it’s a big 2p size blob of thick browny yellow mucus and tissue. It’s honestly the most figuring thing I’ve seen and due to the size I get why I gag and can’t breathe. 

Has anyone experienced this or have a solution to stop it? I’ve been to my doctor and they just give me beconase nasal spray which does nothing. 

Thanks

1 like, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your post. I have the same issue, only mine started after having my deviated septum "FIXED" supposedly. When I went back to Dr, he said everything is great.. I have to pull scabs/hard mucus out of my nose really high up, but nothing come out the nose. Do that to breath and throw up to release mucus..

What the heck is this... How is this "looking great" per Dr...

• Posted

Thank you for your post. I have the same issue, only mine started after having my deviated septum "FIXED" supposedly. When I went back to Dr, he said everything is great.. I have to pull scabs/hard mucus out of my nose really high up, but nothing come out the nose. Do that to breath and throw up to release mucus..

What the heck is this... How is this "looking great" per Dr...

• Posted

I have the exact same issue. I share the issue with some people on here with ear pressure always being off and some other things as well. it feels great to finally know I'm not the only person on earth suffering with this. I hate having it because I love to talk and sing but since I get the plugs every day I gag everytime I say/sing any vowels. it is especially bad right after eating. as others have stated here netty pots work wonders but it doesn't really help since mine form every 2-3 hours after getting one out, and I have to be at school all day. I went to an ENT and he saw the plug and basically said I'm screwed because I had surgery there a while back to have my adenoids removed and there is no cilia hairs where it healed which is why the mucous dries up in that spot.

if anyone has found any way to quickly remove the plugs without a netty please reply, its miserable to deal with these.

P.S. so far I've found that by blowing against my thumb and forcing pressure up into my nose I can sometimes knock it loose after anywhere from ten minutes to an hour of messing with it.

• Posted

I have had the same problem! I've had a CT Scan, seen 3 different ENT doctors and I believe they think I am crazy! So I've tried all the meds. including the one for silent acid reflux. So these are things I do: Steam(Helps), Neti Pot(Helps), Essential Oils(Helps), Herbs(Helps), plenty of water, herbal tea and honey. I feel like I found a miracle and it has begun to release the mucus plug that resides above my soft palate!

Here is what I've tried today, I warmed virgin organic coconut oil and added a couple drops of eucalyptus and laid down on the floor while tilting my head back and administered about a half of dropper full in each nostril and I also gargled about a tablespoon or so of the same recipe and 5 minutes later a large mucus plug released into my mouth and I already experienced relief not completely, however I am confident that with continued applications I will see much improvement.

• Posted

I too experience the same symptoms and here is what I guarantee WE all have in common. I never was a big WATER drinker...soda, juice, Gatorade, coffee, tea...but never water. I drank 32 ounces of water and notice that my mucus was thinning out. I will drank another 32 ounces when I get off from work. This will probably take a week before I notice a considerable difference. WATER...and More WATER....is the solution. There is not enough water in our bodies to dilute the mucus . Thus the thicky and gluey due to lack of fluids....mainly Water.

• Edited

First and foremost I'd like to offer my condolences to everyone here that are unfortunately dealing with this mystery problem as well! I've been struggling with it for 10 long years now, it is aggravating, agitating and above all else extremely embarrassing. For me it all started around my 18th birthday. During that year my best friend broke my nose, and I also discovered cocaine. I cant really be sure what started it, although I personally lean towards the drug use as I've used far more drugs than I care to indulge since then, but just know if you can snort it then Ive snorted it. Thankfully I'm over a year clean though today. I never used drugs to fill some void or hide my scars. I had a great upbringing and childhood. I used soley because I enjoyed it. Even once I graduated up to Heroin during my recovery from a horrific car accident I got in. I very much so enjoyed it. However overdosing twice in the same day was far from enjoyable. I never wanted to die, I just wanted to get high. I've been sober ever since, I still smoke cigarettes but that is all. Now that I'm sober though this issue is severely affecting my quality of life and After reading up on several forums and dealing with this on my own. I believe for me at least it is caused by a combination of smoking, dehydration and anxiety. I don't drink enough fluids so the smoke immediately dries up my nasal passage. This leads to me trying to clear my throat/nose obsessively, each time making matters worse. Lately I've started to start practicing meditation during these situations. Anyone still dealing with this I suggest that you go down a bottle of water, refrain from smoking and throw some headphones on and become one with the music for a half n hour. Then continue on with your day. Its a pain in the ass sure, but its worked every single time for me. Please let me know if this works for you or if anyone else has found any better answers to this annoyance.

• Posted

i have the same issues. I got allergy shots a long time and that really helped a lot but was so expensive. yesterday I though I was going to die I used all your suggestions drinking more water I have my salin spray here and I take Claritan D but when it gets into the eustachian tubes its the most painful thing. my ent said i have really small eustachian tubes.

• Posted

for some reason bubbly water feels so good on the back of my throat

• Posted

Has anyone with this ever tried homeopathic remedies or herbs to treat it? or seen a holistic/alternative type practitioner that has any ideas?

• Posted

Yes..look up Austin Goh and the Natural Method. If you decide to take the course you won't be sorry. I found relief and now I just want every to know there is help for this terrible malady!!

• Posted

I went to the ent. and she said they were called mucous scabs. she attributed it to medications that dry(dont take several antihistimines at once especially if you take other meds that have side effects that dry you out) but also having had been a smoker the cilia is f****d up. I told her i use a neti pot and she said to go get a neti bottle. She does it 2x a day to "force that s**t out." I think she was just refering to the germs she is exposed to in her office and not the scabs. But the neti bottle pushed gunk into my eustation tubes. and hurt like hell. The neti pot 2x a day doesnt feel good either so i just do it when i feel it in my throat or realky dry and headachy. Since then I bought a damn tent from amazon to go over my bed that has a flap on the side where I can leave the bottom unzipped enough to put a humidifier on a stand to blow into the tent. Instead of having to basically suck on my tongue while leaning my head back a little while using the neti pot to suck it into my mouth everyday and spit it out everyday, its just every other day. I also use an additive in my neti pot.. some himalayan salt solution with hyaluronic acid that's supposed to moisturize really well. Drinking lots of water and hydrating drinks makes a difference for some. I thought I kicked it once but they came back. I think its an evolving thing where solutions work for only so long.

• Posted

Hi Renee,

i saw your post and had to reply. i too have suffered with severe sinus issues all my life. Doctors were little help.

Recently I stumbled upon a teacher who specializes in simple exercises to stimulate and heal sinus passages. Long story short I decided to try his full online course and it worked!!

Look up Austin Goh and the Natural Method. I can only say if you are suffering with this you won't believe how Austin and his team can help.

Best wishes,

Deane

• Edited

I also have the same annoying problem. At times i feel like I'm suffocating. Has anyone got any answers?

• Posted

This week I have managed to have both nostrils clear, the left side has been blocked for years, I couldn't blow my nose and often have large pieces of shoe leather type stuff appear on the back of my tongue. Following a camera investigation I was prescribed antibiotics for 14 days 1 tablet twice a day, a nasal spray once a day 2 puffs plus an antihistamine. After the first 5 days my nasal passages cleared, the feeling of the air coming through my nose was amazing. Gradually the mucus started to disappear and so did my long lasting constant urge to suck it back.

I have noticed I sleeping better too.

Hope this helps,

• Posted

do you know the name of the nasal spray you were given?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.