My haemorrhoidectomy story: Piling on the pain and pressure of Hemorrhoid Surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

This forum has been really helpful to me these past few weeks so I'm going to share my experience. It's not pretty. But it will get better.

I've suffered from haemorrhoids since I was a child.. I'm a 54 year old man now. I play lots of sport. I rarely had pain but bleeding has been a major issue over the years. Lately, I've had to have three iron transfusions to get my bloods up so this operation I'd been putting off just had to be done.

I had Grade 4 haemorrhoids and the surgeon told me he'd never taken so much out. Oh, and there was a prolapse. One of those hemorrhoids was 3.5cm long and he took away 4. So, my surgery was extremely extensive, hence the ghastly recovery I'm still going through. You, hopefully, will be more lucky.

Firstly, nothing really prepared me for this, physically or mentally. OK after two weeks? I'm still not back in the office after 5. The pain has largely receded but the discomfort and swelling is still a major handicap. I also had to deal with an infection which slowed things down. My bowel still doesn't work as it should so going to the toilet is, er, challenging.

First, let me give you some top tips.

1: Prepare

I expected a bowel prep before my operation. Constipation has always been an issue for me, despite eating well. This didn't happen. So I was already 'backed up' for two days. Try to be as empty as possible before your procedure.

2: Buy pads in advance.

I use TENA Men incontinence pads (stage 1, reversed!) I couldn't clean myself properly and there's, er, staining. I wasn't incontinent but I was getting through at least 6 a day at first. They'll make you feel more comfortable.

3: Run a bath in advance of any BM

A hot bath that you can instantly jump into after a bowel movement will be a life-saver. Sometimes the pain was so bad, it was the only place I could happily pee as the operation affects the nerves telling everything what to do. The bath will help you with cleanliness too.

The pain, certainly after attempting a bowel movement, was truly dreadful. You're not going to die, it will get better, but I've never experienced anything like it. It literally took my breath away. Remember, it will get better. But there were tears. Of pain. Not actual tearing.

Take laxatives before you start. Lactulose is your friend and dulcolax seemed to do the trick better with me.

One thing I regrettably discovered is that I don't respond to codeine, and I found out later from my mum that my late dad also had the same problem. It effects about 7% of people. So I was dealing with this with just paracetamol and ibuprofen. After two weeks I was switched to Tramadol which did make a huge difference. So, discuss your main meds carefully with your doctor.

Both are constipating. Buy your laxatives early along with loads of paracetemol. Worry about getting 'hooked' at a later days.

The second thing that hit me hard was this recovery hasn't been linear. I sometimes would have a good day. I'd really think 'I've turned a corner!', only to wake up the next day exhausted and in pain once again. One step forward, two steps back. And I'm still seeing this 5 weeks later.

All the literature on this says you'll experience some kind of discharge (buy your pads!). After three weeks, the pain returned big time. I saw a surgeon who said it was a big infection and was put on ghastly antibiotics for a week. There was pus on the pad. It didn't smell, it was just a cloudy discharge (sometimes with bubbles) that was there all the time. A week's course finally knocked it on its head and, as I said, it's one of the reasons why my recovery has taken longer than most.

So, exactly five weeks after the operation, I'm able to sit down on a nice padded seat and get some work done. Thankfully, my employer has been great and understanding. I can't sit for more than an hour. I did go out to a restaurant the other day for the first time and saw friends after taking the dog for a walk. I paid for it the next day by being in great discomfort again. Remember, the recovery won't be linear.

Some good news: I've lost 5kg, well over half a stone. I've barely had an alcoholic drink, I'm eating less because the last thing you want is an Indian takeaway with extra garlic naan followed by several pints.

My overall message is this: prepare! Prepare mentally and physically. Try to move as much as you can, even if it's in your apartment or if you can go for even the smallest walk, do so. It's horrible at first but your colon will thank you. Prepare for this taking longer than the 2 weeks that the internet says it'll take. You could well be lucky, but if you've had an extensive operation like me, it's going to take longer.

Get plenty of nourishing, high-fibre food in. It's a cliche, but make a vat of chicken soup and freeze it in individual portions. Buy nice fruit juices... prune juice in sparkling water replaced by gin. Drink loads of fluids. If your pain gets worse, and you have a clear discharge in your pants, alert your doctor. I waited too long before I did that which allowed the infection to set in.

Lastly, remember, it does get better. That terrible pain, the dread of a bowel movement? It gets better. You'll get better. Life WILL return to normal. You probably haven't been diagnosed with a terminal disease so THIS, TOO, WILL PASS.

But, my word, this has been the toughest few weeks of my entire life. But I have had to buy new belts as my trousers were falling down. So, every cloud and all that..

All the best to you.

Owen

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.