My hydrocelectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I wanted to start a hydrocele thread for 2015 as it seems to be a pretty common operation.  This medical forum for the patients' side of things is a great idea.

My hydrocele was really big and was actually getting bigger so it had to be stopped.  If not, it was nice having along on long bike rides, like a built-in pillow.

I'm in the States so maybe the hydrocelectomy procedures differ but mine didnt require a drain tube.  The doc said he would make a large cut in the scrotum, get the liquid out, and remove the lining that contained the hydrocele so it wouldn't come back.  That's the best explanation I have.  Whether or not it makes sense, it worked out real well.

The operation was done in Feb, 2015.  That was 6 weeks ago.  There was no swelling or discoloration.  I must've had a mild hydrocele most of my life because I haven't seen my scrotum this small in years and years.  It was only in the last year or two that it started to balloon up after I took up bicycling as my fulltime exercise.

My doctor had me wear a support for two weeks, which I was glad to have, and it held the dressing in place.  He also prescribed antibiotics as a precaution for the first ten days.

Pain was moderate the first day or two, mostly from the incision, and quickly got better.  I was able to go to the gym and do some light exercise after just four days, although the doctor advised me to wait a full month to exercise.  Just was so bored sitting in the chair at home.  I was careful not to stress that area with my exercises: lifted weights while seated, did sit-ups on the slant board, and walked on the TM.  It went fine.  On day five, went back to work.

Can't say why my op was so uneventful, don't really have any bad things to say about it.  Hard part for me is getting back to my routine of pretty rigorous exercise.  I've only been doing light and moderate stuff for six weeks and I've put on a few pounds.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am glad to hear your operation went so well. I am fine now but for several weeks following the procedure, I swelled something terrible. It was worse than before the operation. I began to wear compression breifs (2 at a time) and after 3 weeks of that treatment, the swelling went down. I too went to the gym early. I actually went a few hours after my surgery dling a light workout. It took a few weeks but I am back up to the point I was prior to surgery.
    • Posted

Hey, William.  Glad to hear those briefs helped out.  I've read many, many cases already where the patients seem to fare no better afterward than before.  It's amazing you could do a workout the same day!  I don't think I left my chair at all the first day, not to mention being nauseous and dizzy from the anaesthesia.
    • Posted

Hi, William.  I've been curious.  What kind of workout could you do at the gym same day as your surgery, and how did it go?  Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.