My journey on sertraline 50mg so far

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, just wanted to share my story and hope it helps!! 

I have always been an anxious person, and yrs ago (10) I was put on meds beginning with an a, but I stopped taking them for whatever reason I can't remember, but 4-5 months ago I was hit again with anxiety and omg I have never experienced it this bad, I could not go out, move off the sofa, have a shower, eat, I literally couldn't do anything!!! I didn't want to be around anyone feeling like this ( even my partner or my son) I just could not function and was so scared of feeling like this, I hung on for 3 months feeling like this then plucked up the courage to get to the docs who first prescribed me propranolol 40mg 3x a day which def helped the physical side of panic, I stayed on these for 6 weeks but I was still having the mental side of anxiety ie deep thinking etc so went back to docs and was prescribed sertraline 50mg to be taken with propranolol aswell, it took me 3 weeks to pluck the courage up to take them so I decided to take it just before bed so I would sleep through side effects, I have now been on them 16 days and I can now see light at the end of the very long dark tunnel I was in. The side effects I got were.... Shaking, feeling tired, upset tummy, heightened anxiety, but I had all those anyway for the past 4-5 months so I could deal with it like I had been with deep breathing, reading up on reviews, knitting, reading ( anything to take my mind off it) anyway for anyone scared of taking this med, I just want to reassure u that it was the best thing I done. I have always been anti med and before trying this I used 5 htp, kalms, b12 complex but none made a difference, I did take rescue remedy and I highly recommend it, and u can still take it with sertraline, so if u do get heightened anxiety with starting this med then use that to get u through the day cos I sure as hell did lol x good luck whoever reads this and if u need any advice or encouragement then I will be here to help in anyway I can x

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi there,

I just want to share my story as well, i am prescribed 50mg sertaline 16 days ago,I feel calmer,peaceful and not overthinking but anxiety and negative thoughts have not eliminated only minimised.I am continuing with 50 mg with no major side effect,i was suffered from overthinking,over analyzing,anxious with danger thoughts.I am waiting its full benefits to kick in, normally expert says 6-8 weeks.

• Posted

Hey, so we r both on the same time taking this med, I agree with everything u say but I'm so glad that I can feel that there is hope now, as before I really didn't want to wake up to another day. I wish u well on your journey and keep me posted how your doing x
    • Posted

Yes we are in same time taking this medicine,it worked me from next day,i have no single panic attacks and intense feeling,but anxitey exist somehow,lets see,,it will eliminate it gradually...wish you happy new year filled with good health and joy;-)
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your story it has really given me hope. Been on 50mg for 2 weeks now on my 5th week of 100mg and still trying to get over it all. Xx
  • Posted

Hey Chloe, so u upped to 100mg after 2 weeks on 50mg?? They do say it takes up to 8-12 weeks on each upping dose for it to 'kick in'. How come u upped your dose so soon if u don't mind me asking? X

• Posted

We should give it chance to work,consistently 6-8 weeks in same dose make difference !
    • Posted

Hi,

Been on 100mg for 6 weeks tomorrow - side effects basically gone - I feel like a different person to 6 weeks ago.

Yes there were bad days when I started but hang on in there!

• Posted

thank you edward for ur positive story ,,,lets hope it kicks mine too ,,,
  • Posted

Hi Vikki

Thx for sharing your positive story...yr journey sounds so similar to mine, altho I'm on my 13th week and have now increased to 75mg. I'd love to know, if u don't mind, specifically how you feel the sert has helped, what's changed? I only ask because I'm struggling to determine either way whether it's truly working for me. I take propranolol too, just 20mg max twice per day as I'm not comfy with the idea of messing with my heart! Having said that, I agree with u that they definitely stop the physical reactions.

I guess I can understand how a tablet can improve mood, serotonin etc but I suppose I'm struggling to believe that any medication can halt specific thoughts ie. worries.

At this stage I'm considering a final increase to 100mg, as I know a few ppl have said their drs reckon under 100 doesn't do much. My problem is I'm due to start a new job in a few wks time so don't want that to coincide with side effects of the increase.

Best wishes x

Ps. I too used to live on Kalms smile

• Posted

Hey kikidee, I just feel back to (normal) really, I can get on and do things round the house, my appetite is back ( I lost 4 and half stone in 4 months ) as I literally could not eat from anxious 24/7 I was trying to force down a banana and half a biscuit a day, I never thought I would have a good day feeling me again, but touch wood, the last couple of days I have really felt a difference, I still get anxious every now and then in the day as I think ( what if ) I have an anxious thought and have a panic like before but I can get myself out of it where before I would just sit on sofa and literally panic myself stupid. Anyway back to your question...... How long have u been on the 75mg for???? If it has been over 8 weeks on that mg then I would suggest u def need to go up a dose, I have been searching every site about sertraline and to be honest most people r on 100mg and have seen a big difference and settled on that dose for yrs, so if u still r not feeling yourself then u should go bk to docs and get it upped, u can go as high as 200mg, so just keep on every upped dose for 8 wks then if that doesn't work up it at 12.5mg until u settle. Apparantly sertraline is the better ad but everyone is different. I wish u well Hun and keep me posted on how u r doing. U will get there, always think positive, and remember the only way is up from now on xx

• Posted

hi ,it is mandatory to increase dose after 4 weeks or not?
  • Posted

Hey rab, no it's not mandatory, do u feel like u need to up the dose then? How many days have u been on it now? I'm on day 19 and I have a cold so it's brought bk abit of my anxiety. I'm still better than I was and it's not as bad as before but just want to totally feel normal. I know it's early days but how many weeks does it normally take to get back to where I was?? X
    • Posted

Hi vikki,I am on 21 pill tonight almost three weeks,surely it has relieved and minimised anxiety but hope longer intake do well.How u doing vikki??
  • Posted

Hey rab, I'm on my 22nd tonight, feeling bit better but anxiety still there sometimes, i had no anxiety at all for a few days last week but it came back, but not as bad as before I started the sertraline. How r u feeling lately? 
    • Posted

Same as u like vikki,anxiety tries to attack but feeling better ,its 21th pill tonight
    • Posted

Hi vikki, I'm on my 37th Serts tab tonight... feel so much better and in control of my life.

Hang on in, you'll soon be there 😃

• Posted

Hi binu,What is your dose pls?? Why are u taking it for???
    • Posted

Hi, my dose is 50mg and I'm taking it for depression and anxiety... it's working great at the moment although I did have many bad side effects. One was not able to sleep but last night was a good night 😃
    • Posted

thank you blu for replying,,sert kicked your dep and anx,,,congrats ,,,,!i am on 22 day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.