My journey on sertraline 50mg so far

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, just wanted to share my story and hope it helps!! 

I have always been an anxious person, and yrs ago (10) I was put on meds beginning with an a, but I stopped taking them for whatever reason I can't remember, but 4-5 months ago I was hit again with anxiety and omg I have never experienced it this bad, I could not go out, move off the sofa, have a shower, eat, I literally couldn't do anything!!! I didn't want to be around anyone feeling like this ( even my partner or my son) I just could not function and was so scared of feeling like this, I hung on for 3 months feeling like this then plucked up the courage to get to the docs who first prescribed me propranolol 40mg 3x a day which def helped the physical side of panic, I stayed on these for 6 weeks but I was still having the mental side of anxiety ie deep thinking etc so went back to docs and was prescribed sertraline 50mg to be taken with propranolol aswell, it took me 3 weeks to pluck the courage up to take them so I decided to take it just before bed so I would sleep through side effects, I have now been on them 16 days and I can now see light at the end of the very long dark tunnel I was in. The side effects I got were.... Shaking, feeling tired, upset tummy, heightened anxiety, but I had all those anyway for the past 4-5 months so I could deal with it like I had been with deep breathing, reading up on reviews, knitting, reading ( anything to take my mind off it) anyway for anyone scared of taking this med, I just want to reassure u that it was the best thing I done. I have always been anti med and before trying this I used 5 htp, kalms, b12 complex but none made a difference, I did take rescue remedy and I highly recommend it, and u can still take it with sertraline, so if u do get heightened anxiety with starting this med then use that to get u through the day cos I sure as hell did lol x good luck whoever reads this and if u need any advice or encouragement then I will be here to help in anyway I can x

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i am on day 12 of taking 50mg. I suffered from shakes, loss of concentration, loss of appetite, anxiety and generally feeling numb. I still feel abit anxious sometimes through out the day especailly if i know iv got to go to work. This is the first time iv taken any medication. I do feel abit better though already. Before starting this i was so stressed and angry. Dont know what triggered my anxiety. Im really glad i found this forum because without it i wouldnt have carried on with the meds. Helps to read other peoples experiences. So thank you vikki2303.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply blu, when did u start to feel a lot better and do u still have bouts of feeling anxious? Sorry for all the questions x
    • Posted

I started to feel much better about 9 days ago but then had a slight blip! This could have been because when I picked up my next box of tabs they were a different brand, took just 2 and started getting anxious again - there seems to be evidence that this can happen. Read my post here 2 replies down:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/different-types-of-sertraline--338186

Went to the docs to explain and got another prescription.. found a chemist with the original brand and 2 days later was back on track.

No worries about asking questions, if it helps you I'll answer as many as I can 😃

• Posted

Yeh I read your post and a few people have said the same about the brands, hopefully mine won't change  either, thanks for the info, tonight is my 22nd tab, I've come down with the flu so that's not helping as don't know what I can take for it?? I know I can take paracetamol but I've always been paranoid and where I'm on propranolol and sertraline I don't want to mix anything else with it. Glad your feeling better and I hope I'm where u r very soon, thanks for the reply and keep me posted on how u r doing? X
    • Posted

Hey Vikki, flu is all you need on top of your problems!

Hope you feel better soon on both counts... take care.

• Posted

Hi blu,It is generally said to avoid grapefruit during sert medication? I eat too much orange ,,Are they grapefruits??
    • Posted

Hi rab, I also eat a lot of oranges but I was told it's just grapefruit juice your not allowed to have. How have u been doing? It's 4 weeks now isn't it? X
    • Posted

Absolutely correct Vikki, oranges are fine but Grapefruit juice increases the level of Sertraline hydrochloride in your blood!!
    • Posted

Yes vikki,its 28th pill tonight,Obviously its working better,, but not 100%,,,probably linger intake is imp,How abt u??
    • Posted

Yeh I'm ok, up and down days, I've got a chest infection and temperature so that is not helping with the anxiety sad I'm going to give it until week 6 as that's when I see my doctor and maybe get increased to 75mg
  • Posted

Hi vikki

I am struggling with my anxiety any advice would be appreciated ive been on sertraline 5weeks on 50mg 4 weeks on 100mg had a numb/foggy feeling in my head so doc said 100 to high for me and put me down to 75mg it's been a week now and the anxitey is still high and I feel low again surely after been on this med for 10 weeks now I sould be feeling better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.