My PMR Journey

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was reading another post and helenemiles and Eileen were talking about pain in their big toes. Since I've never posted before and those comments caught my attention, I thought this might be a good time to share my personal PMR journey. I've read so many of yours and they've helped me, so maybe mine will help someone else know they aren't alone either. Speaking of toes, my first symptom (in hindsight, because at the time I couldn't figure out what was going on), was sudden onset severe pain in the base joint of my left big toe. That lasted a few weeks, and during that time, while out on a walk, my left calf cramped up. At least I thought it was a cramp, but it never went away. After 3 months & numerous trips to the doctor, and not finding out what it was, it eased up. Then my big toe joint suddenly started hurting again. I thought I might have gout or something, but x-rays & blood tests for gout showed nothing.  Then I blew out a disk in my back and ended up have a fusion a year ago in January. After surgery I felt great and was doing wonderfully on my rehab, even walking 3 miles a day 5 wks post-op. Then I went to bed one night feeling fine, and woke up not fine. The pain in my calf muscle was back and way worse than before. Then my neck, left shoulder and muscles in my upper left arm started to hurt. I felt like I was falling apart. My back surgeon suspected a blood clot, but an ultrasound showed it was okay. I had MRS's on my back, hip, and knee and an EMG on my back and leg and everything came back negative. I was beginning to think I was going nuts. I started PT and nothing there helped either. My PT found a big knot in my calf that would NOT go away no matter what. He and another PT he consulted with thought it sounded like a myofascial problem, but it wouldn't respond to anything & it was horribly painful. Also during all this, I started seeing my chiropractor for my neck & he couldn’t tell if this was coming from my shoulder or neck, as both seemed to be involved and all the muscles in both were spasmed up. With chiropractic they gradually felt better, but still came and went some. Those didn’t hurt as bad as my calf, so that was my first priority to treat. Then suddenly, last July, the pain in my calf slowly diminished and went away over the course of a few days, but at the same time I developed bilateral groin pain. That became so severe that I couldn't even stand to wear underwear because even the touch of the elastic was more than I could bear. Then the pain starting in my upper leg muscles too. I ended up in Urgent Care because I couldn't stand the pain, and they had no idea what was wrong with me. I think they were trying to find anything to do for me, so they put me on a Medrol dose pack thinking it was probably still stemming from my back. By the next morning I was feeling pretty good and I had a good 4 days, then it all started back in again and in addition, my hips and buttock muscles were also stiff and sore. Then about a week later my right shoulder joint started to hurt and then the upper arm muscles too. I was noticing that I hurt more when I went to bed and for the first couple of hours after I got up. I had NO appetite, and I would spend most of my nights up walking the house because it hurt too much to go to bed. During all this, I tried to do my normal daily walk, but I was kind of shuffling because I hurt so much, and I caught my toe on a root and twisted my left knee and tore my medial meniscus. This was just about more than I could take. I'm a VERY active and physically fit 58 yr. old woman and I felt like my life was crashing in on me. I was so sore everywhere that I scheduled a therapeutic massage. Normally I LOVE a deep massage, but I could hardly stand to have him touch my muscles and I don’t think there was a spot on my body that didn’t hurt. He couldn’t even figure out why I was such a mess, but he worked on me for 2 hrs. and had me come back for two more massages. Each time I came in, I was in just as bad of shape as the time before & it was horribly painful.  I finally gave up and decided that they weren’t going to help me. I didn’t know what to do to get relief at that point because I didn’t know what was wrong and if I told anyone I was sure they would think I was a crazy hypochondriac . A few days before my pre-op appt to have my knee repaired, I was sitting at home one evening and I suddenly felt like I was getting sick, kind of nauseated, chills & fever, and then the weirdest thing I've ever felt in my life happened. The pain in my right shoulder migrated across my collar bone and into my left shoulder too. I had no idea what was happening to me, but it was very scary. I tried to go to bed, but I couldn't lay down for more than a few minutes due to pain, and when I tried to get up, my arms wouldn't work and it would take me several minutes to be able to even roll over and try to get up. Again, I walked the floors all night. Through all this I literally went for 2 wks with no sleep, I lost 10 lbs., and I looked like death. My pre-op appt for my knee surgery was the next morning, and I told my surgeon I didn't know what was wrong with me and he suggested I make an appt with my GP as it sounded like some kind of myalgia to him. By the time I left his office, I could hardly lift my arms to drive my car. I stopped at my GP's office on the way home and made an appt for the next afternoon. That evening I got up from our couch to go to bed and I couldn't move my arms more than 6 inches from my body. I couldn't even get undressed to go to bed, but I couldn't lay down anyway. Finally at 3 AM I woke my husband up and had him take me to the ER as I was getting really scared. Even after telling all this to the ER doctor, he thought I had rotator cuff syndrome in my right arm and had overcompensated and got my left one involved too. Duh!!!!  I told him I was sure that wasn't it because I was running a low grade fever too for the last few days, and I’d done nothing to hurt my shoulder. Regardless, he still thought that was it. He couldn't give me any anti-inflammatories due to my upcoming surgery, so he gave me a steroid injection and sent me home still in pain. I was sooo upset!  But wait, after about an hour I realized my shoulders didn't hurt as much and my groin pain was less. Within 4 hours, I couldn't tell anything had been wrong with me. At this point, I had never even heard of PMR, so this didn't make sense to me at all. I went to my doctor that afternoon & I told him I actually felt fine right then, but told him about what was happening. He had some labs drawn and called me the next day to tell me my sed rate was 53. (When my groin pain was at its worst, my sed rate was only 9). He said to come in as soon as I felt up to it after my surgery and we would discuss it. Since all my symptoms were returning right before my meniscus repair, I made sure I was in his office 3 days after surgery to see what in the heck was going on. I had Googled high sed rate to see what that meant and saw PMR as one of the things causing it and looked it up and discovered it was me, so I had a little idea of what the diagnosis was going to be. He started me on 20 mgs Pred on a Friday and I was in to a rheumy the next Tuesday. I didn't respond real well to the 20 mg, so he gave me an injection that day to give me a boost and said to call in 3 days. I was still feeling muscle and joint pain, so be bumped me up to 40 mg and I got immediate relief. Of course, I got every Pred side effect like a VERY upset stomach, my eyes went goofy on me, etc. Got into the eye doctor immediately to make sure we saw no sign of GCA, and have been back again because the eye focusing stuff has continued to be a problem, but now that my pred dose has gone down numerous times, some of that stuff has eased. From about the time my shoulders were affected, I developed the most crushing fatigue I've ever felt. I think I've taken about 2 naps in my lifetime, and all I could do was lay in a lounge chair with my body feeling like a lead weight, and sleep. Luckily, this has eased too and I can at least go for my daily walks, but I learned very quickly that a day of activity means I'm good for nothing the next day. I've always been a night owl too, and now if I don't get things done by about 3 PM, it's not going to get done that day. My social life has definitely gone to pot too, since almost all social functions are at night and by then I don't even want to go. This whole saga started 18 mos. ago and my diagnosis was 7 1/2 months ago. I still have problems that ebb and flow, but I'm learning to deal with it and just trying to be happy I don't have cancer or the MS that my younger sister died from. Having some pain issues in my neck now and in the muscles between my neck and shoulder. I've been listening to all of you and found a Bowen therapist here and have had two sessions. No great results yet, but the muscles have loosened up some.   Sorry to be so long-winded, but I've been lurking and just reading everything posted for a while to get familiar with how this forum works. You have been my best source of information through this whole ordeal and I'm so thankful I found you, since I don't know a soul with PMR. It would be a very lonely journey without reading post and saying "My body is doing that too!!"

7 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Vicki, what a story!  You have suffered a lot until you were diagnosed with PMR.  The right amount of Prednisone can do wonders!  Welcome to this forum!

Wishing you continued relief.

Erika

In which country do you live?

• Posted

I thought so because of the time.  Which state?  I live in Vancouver, WA.
    • Posted

Hey Erika, I'm in Spokane, WA--practically neighbors! lol  

One of my brothers lives in Brush Prairie a niece and nephew also live in Vancouver.

• Posted

Hi Vickie, maybe we can meet sometime and talk about our PMR problems.

I don't know anybody here in town who has PMR.  Please, let me know when you are going to be in my area.

• Posted

Erika, I would love to meet you sometime. This last year and a half i haven't really felt like doing much and even the thought of sitting in the car long enough to go to Vancouver sounded overwhelming to me (This is coming from someone who's ridden her bicycle across the US twice and didn't think a thing of it!). Hopefully, one of these days, I'll perk up enough to do that. I have faith that i can beat this eventually, but I'm finding that this is so unlike any injury I've had. With PT and hard work, I've been able to overcome anything, but PMR has a mind of its own and it keeps reminding on that. I've called it a few choice words too, but it doesn't seem to care! lol 
    • Posted

You are right, Vickie --- this PMR thing was a big shock to me, too when I was diagnosed last September.  I could not believe what was happening to me.  I was jogging one evening in my nearby park, and the next day I found myself in utter pain with my shoulders and back hurting.  Hardly being able to move.  Like you, I was always active and athletic.  I took cycling classes at the nearby gym. 

None of this I can do anymore. 

I get out of breath climbing the stairs up to my townhouse.  My back is hurting when I only carry 2-3 pounds up the stairs.  Now I need to move to a one-level apartment.  I just moved here 2 years ago to be close to my son and family.  I help out with my granddaughter.  If she would not be close by I would be just miserable. 

I am seeing my doctor today to check if  he/they can do anything with my left shouder which seems frozen. I don't want surgery. PT helped somewhat a few weeks ago.  I may have to try this again.

It would be nice to meet, when we feel better.  I don't like sitting in the car for more than 1/2 hour.  I flew to Vancouver B.C. while my son and family drove up there to spend time with my daughter and family for Easter.

Hang in there.....with determination one can try to overcome this eventually, and careful dosage of Prednisone.  I needed 40 when I could not get out of bed, but now I am taking 20 mg trying to taper carefully with 1 mg a month.  It is quite a challenge. The fatigue is uncomfortable, and I have to rest often, like I am sure you have to also.

A few choice words and tears......help! sadErika 

• Posted

Erika, looks like we have a lot in common, from the state we live in (Washington, not the state of confusion, or is it??) to when we were diagnosed, and the higher dose it took us to get things under control. Sept. 24, 2014 was my offical diagnosis date..The more I look back over my life the last few years, more and more little things come to mind where I had joint or muscle pain that I couldn't figure out where it came from because I hadn't done anything to injure myself. I'm beginning to think that this was trying to get me a long time ago and it wasn't until after the stress of my spinal fusion surgery that it was able to take hold. Let's keep in touch, and maybe one of these days we can meet.
    • Posted

Vickie, any kind of severe stress can put our immune system in overdrive, and it might take some time to show up with strange pains we don't understand where they came from.  I had this stress with bereavement --- like you --- a difficult move 2 years ago, and sure enough  a few months later I started having shoulder and back pain which became worse.  Luckily my GP diagnosed it early enough that I did not have to rely on my Rheumy who did not think I have PMR.  I have RA but it has been controlled with Plequenil, and RA is nothing in comparison with PMR.  PMR is HORRIBLE and only Prednisone makes our life worth living.  So, we have to deal with it and respect the power this drug has --- changing our body to something different unfortunately......sad like hamster cheeks, double chin and a roll at the waistline which I never had. These are only some of the side effects, and I did not think they would happen --- but they did. 

I am still in shock and bewilderment of being told I have a disease that nobody else has even heard of.  It is so difficult to explain to friends and family why every day can be different and we are so tired.  This disease does not go away so suddenly,  it is only managed with prednisone.  People don't understand including my own sister who thinks I eat too much because of my round face.

It is great to have this forum and the caring advise of especially Eileen. I would be so lost.  

This is the best support group out of UK! 

Let's keep in touch.  All the best to you, Erika

• Posted

You said it all just the way I would have!!  Thanks Erika.
    • Posted

Hi Erika and Vicki,

Vicki, welcome to the forum. As you have already found there is endless information and support here. It is truly wonderful. 

Erika, if you ladies ever arrange a meeting please let me know and I'll drive down and meet you to.  I started my return home on Saturday via my sisters in Florida and will email you soon.  Love the photos😊.

Hugs,

Diana🌸

• Posted

Hi Diana, I had to look up Pitt Meadows because I had never heard of it. Sounds like we girls in this part of the world need a get-together. I don't see me getting to Vancouver, WA this summer, but you never know. If I do plan a trip, I'll let both you and Erika know. Good to hear from you!
    • Posted

Diana, it would be great if we all could meet sometime - half way distance.

Safe travels back to beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

Hugs,

Erika

• Posted

Hi vickie, welcome to the crazy world of PMR and to this site. What took you so long to become acquainted? But now you have, welcome!

i can really relate to the not sleeping bit. I am a bit of a fidget in bed, always turning from one side to the other, and of course when you're in so much pain that's one thing you can't do. I used to get up and wonder aimlessly about the house because of the pain and the insomnia. My GP had no idea what could be wrong with me so this went on for 3.5 months steadily getting worse. I was so worried that I believed the GP knew exactly what was wrong with me, I was going to die and she didn't want to tell me. I updated my will and got a few things organised so that when I died everything would be easier for my husband to sort out. I said to my husband that I wanted the cheapest coffin and funeral possible and he said that that was exactly what his plan was because he'd need as much money as possible to purchase a new sports car and attract a new young, gorgeous lady friend!!! I was in so much pain I couldn't even laugh. 1 &1/2 years on I am doing really well. Sometimes when I look back I can't believe that person that was in so much pain and so stiff was me. So thank you God and medical advancements.

hopefully we'll hear from you again, good luck with your recovery. Regards, christina 

• Posted

Oh, forgot to add, Bob, my husband did get a new car but nothing else.....not yet!!! Regards, christina 
    • Posted

Husband's comment!  I believe that is what my husband would answer too😄.  We love them dearly, don't we?
    • Posted

Hello Constance, I am very lucky when it comes to my husband. He has really stepped up the mark when it comes to supporting me with this condition. However, he is a northerner, comes from Barnsley in Doncaster, Yorkshire and simply has the most terrible sence of humour. It is very dry and when he says some of the things he says with the straightest of faces I can't help but laugh. He was an engineer and so when it comes to fascinating facts absolutely cannot stand drivel or show offs.

For most of my working life I worked as a broadcast journalist for a regional radio station, (best not name it as some people may recognise themselves), anyway, I sometimes used to have the station playing at home and he used to say that this presenter or that presenter sounded like right know alls. I would reply that in real life they were ok. One Christmas the station held a party and all our partners were invited. We all met up in the local pub for drinks before heading off to a privately hired room where the party would continue. In the pub all the presenters were speaking so loud showing off that they were radio presenters just so the whole pub could hear. When we arrived at the private room, we all walked in and someone said "oh crikey this room isn't that big, I hope we all can fit in" at which point Bob (that's my husband) said, "well, given the size of some of the heads round here, I agree there may be problem!" Needless to say I didn't get the job of head of news that I had applied for! But yes you're right we do love them dearly. Regards, christina 

• Posted

Christina, it sounds like our husbands have the same sense of humor. Being pretty athletic, I've injured quite a few joints, plus I've got a genetically crappy back, so I've had numerous joint surgeries and 4 back surgeries. After the last back surgery my hubby said that if I hurt anything else he was just going to have me put down because it was the only humane thing to do! Then I tore that meniscus in my knee. He didn't have me put down, but said I must know him pretty well after 38 yrs to have called his bluff like that. Of course, there were many days through that initial period of ungodly pain with my PMR, that I WAS wishing someone would put me out of my misery! Luckily, my doctors know I'm not a whiny person and seldom take presription pain pills even after my surgeries, so when I complained of severe pain, they knew I really was, and didn't give up on me trying to find out what was wrong. My back surgeon felt horrible after I finally got my diagnosis, that he didn't pick up on this. I told him I didn't fault him at all, because until this hit my shoulders as the last thing, all my symptoms could have been related to my back and since I'd just had the fusion, it made sense. Back to the husband.....mine was considering retiring in a couple of years, but with my history of screwing things up on myslef and now this PMR, we need him for his medical insurance. He jokes that he could retire quicker if I'd hurry up and die. I tell him I'm making sure I tell that to everyone, so if I disappear suspiciously, he won't get to enjoy his retirement in jail. If you don't keep a sense of humor with all this this, you could go nuts!! (Even if we do have a warped sense of humor!!) biggrin

• Posted

Oh vickie, you are quite right, their sense of humour is identical! Last Monday I started my newest medication, high blood pressure tablets. The GP told me that because my blood pressure was so high the tablets would reduce the pressure considerably so to not do anything sporty or demanding for the next couple of days as I could get a light head and I could even pass out.

i told Bob and he said "why don't we go for a walk tomorrow then", "oh yes" I said, "where shall we go". "For a cliff walk"! (I live in Cornwall by the way). Regards, christina 

• Posted

Christina, sounds like our husbands are twins! I had a bicycle accident once (went over the handlebars), landed on my head, split open my head and ended up in an ambulance headed for the ER. They called Cece & he met me in the ER. As they were suturing up the big gash that started in my eyebrow and went down past my eye into my cheekbone, he asked the doc if he could tuck up a few crowsfeet as long as he was there. I was going to smack him, but then I began to think that it might be a good idea except I would be asymmetrical. He told me I could go out and crash on the other side if I wanted to even it up. Oh yes, what would we do without our crazy husbands??
    • Posted

Vickie, now you are a member of this very prestigious club that none of us want to be a member of I'm sure we both with the help of other members will have enough quips for a very large book!

just one for the road- Bob very often didn't get on with my mother who could be very difficult but despite that I loved her dearly. One year she had terrible flu and said that she had fever and ached all over and could not move as her legs felt like lead. Bob replied that perhaps she should go for a swim!!! Regards, christina 

• Posted

Thanks for my morning laugh Christina! We'll have to keep comparing husband stories!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.