My PMR Journey

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was reading another post and helenemiles and Eileen were talking about pain in their big toes. Since I've never posted before and those comments caught my attention, I thought this might be a good time to share my personal PMR journey. I've read so many of yours and they've helped me, so maybe mine will help someone else know they aren't alone either. Speaking of toes, my first symptom (in hindsight, because at the time I couldn't figure out what was going on), was sudden onset severe pain in the base joint of my left big toe. That lasted a few weeks, and during that time, while out on a walk, my left calf cramped up. At least I thought it was a cramp, but it never went away. After 3 months & numerous trips to the doctor, and not finding out what it was, it eased up. Then my big toe joint suddenly started hurting again. I thought I might have gout or something, but x-rays & blood tests for gout showed nothing.  Then I blew out a disk in my back and ended up have a fusion a year ago in January. After surgery I felt great and was doing wonderfully on my rehab, even walking 3 miles a day 5 wks post-op. Then I went to bed one night feeling fine, and woke up not fine. The pain in my calf muscle was back and way worse than before. Then my neck, left shoulder and muscles in my upper left arm started to hurt. I felt like I was falling apart. My back surgeon suspected a blood clot, but an ultrasound showed it was okay. I had MRS's on my back, hip, and knee and an EMG on my back and leg and everything came back negative. I was beginning to think I was going nuts. I started PT and nothing there helped either. My PT found a big knot in my calf that would NOT go away no matter what. He and another PT he consulted with thought it sounded like a myofascial problem, but it wouldn't respond to anything & it was horribly painful. Also during all this, I started seeing my chiropractor for my neck & he couldn’t tell if this was coming from my shoulder or neck, as both seemed to be involved and all the muscles in both were spasmed up. With chiropractic they gradually felt better, but still came and went some. Those didn’t hurt as bad as my calf, so that was my first priority to treat. Then suddenly, last July, the pain in my calf slowly diminished and went away over the course of a few days, but at the same time I developed bilateral groin pain. That became so severe that I couldn't even stand to wear underwear because even the touch of the elastic was more than I could bear. Then the pain starting in my upper leg muscles too. I ended up in Urgent Care because I couldn't stand the pain, and they had no idea what was wrong with me. I think they were trying to find anything to do for me, so they put me on a Medrol dose pack thinking it was probably still stemming from my back. By the next morning I was feeling pretty good and I had a good 4 days, then it all started back in again and in addition, my hips and buttock muscles were also stiff and sore. Then about a week later my right shoulder joint started to hurt and then the upper arm muscles too. I was noticing that I hurt more when I went to bed and for the first couple of hours after I got up. I had NO appetite, and I would spend most of my nights up walking the house because it hurt too much to go to bed. During all this, I tried to do my normal daily walk, but I was kind of shuffling because I hurt so much, and I caught my toe on a root and twisted my left knee and tore my medial meniscus. This was just about more than I could take. I'm a VERY active and physically fit 58 yr. old woman and I felt like my life was crashing in on me. I was so sore everywhere that I scheduled a therapeutic massage. Normally I LOVE a deep massage, but I could hardly stand to have him touch my muscles and I don’t think there was a spot on my body that didn’t hurt. He couldn’t even figure out why I was such a mess, but he worked on me for 2 hrs. and had me come back for two more massages. Each time I came in, I was in just as bad of shape as the time before & it was horribly painful.  I finally gave up and decided that they weren’t going to help me. I didn’t know what to do to get relief at that point because I didn’t know what was wrong and if I told anyone I was sure they would think I was a crazy hypochondriac . A few days before my pre-op appt to have my knee repaired, I was sitting at home one evening and I suddenly felt like I was getting sick, kind of nauseated, chills & fever, and then the weirdest thing I've ever felt in my life happened. The pain in my right shoulder migrated across my collar bone and into my left shoulder too. I had no idea what was happening to me, but it was very scary. I tried to go to bed, but I couldn't lay down for more than a few minutes due to pain, and when I tried to get up, my arms wouldn't work and it would take me several minutes to be able to even roll over and try to get up. Again, I walked the floors all night. Through all this I literally went for 2 wks with no sleep, I lost 10 lbs., and I looked like death. My pre-op appt for my knee surgery was the next morning, and I told my surgeon I didn't know what was wrong with me and he suggested I make an appt with my GP as it sounded like some kind of myalgia to him. By the time I left his office, I could hardly lift my arms to drive my car. I stopped at my GP's office on the way home and made an appt for the next afternoon. That evening I got up from our couch to go to bed and I couldn't move my arms more than 6 inches from my body. I couldn't even get undressed to go to bed, but I couldn't lay down anyway. Finally at 3 AM I woke my husband up and had him take me to the ER as I was getting really scared. Even after telling all this to the ER doctor, he thought I had rotator cuff syndrome in my right arm and had overcompensated and got my left one involved too. Duh!!!!  I told him I was sure that wasn't it because I was running a low grade fever too for the last few days, and I’d done nothing to hurt my shoulder. Regardless, he still thought that was it. He couldn't give me any anti-inflammatories due to my upcoming surgery, so he gave me a steroid injection and sent me home still in pain. I was sooo upset!  But wait, after about an hour I realized my shoulders didn't hurt as much and my groin pain was less. Within 4 hours, I couldn't tell anything had been wrong with me. At this point, I had never even heard of PMR, so this didn't make sense to me at all. I went to my doctor that afternoon & I told him I actually felt fine right then, but told him about what was happening. He had some labs drawn and called me the next day to tell me my sed rate was 53. (When my groin pain was at its worst, my sed rate was only 9). He said to come in as soon as I felt up to it after my surgery and we would discuss it. Since all my symptoms were returning right before my meniscus repair, I made sure I was in his office 3 days after surgery to see what in the heck was going on. I had Googled high sed rate to see what that meant and saw PMR as one of the things causing it and looked it up and discovered it was me, so I had a little idea of what the diagnosis was going to be. He started me on 20 mgs Pred on a Friday and I was in to a rheumy the next Tuesday. I didn't respond real well to the 20 mg, so he gave me an injection that day to give me a boost and said to call in 3 days. I was still feeling muscle and joint pain, so be bumped me up to 40 mg and I got immediate relief. Of course, I got every Pred side effect like a VERY upset stomach, my eyes went goofy on me, etc. Got into the eye doctor immediately to make sure we saw no sign of GCA, and have been back again because the eye focusing stuff has continued to be a problem, but now that my pred dose has gone down numerous times, some of that stuff has eased. From about the time my shoulders were affected, I developed the most crushing fatigue I've ever felt. I think I've taken about 2 naps in my lifetime, and all I could do was lay in a lounge chair with my body feeling like a lead weight, and sleep. Luckily, this has eased too and I can at least go for my daily walks, but I learned very quickly that a day of activity means I'm good for nothing the next day. I've always been a night owl too, and now if I don't get things done by about 3 PM, it's not going to get done that day. My social life has definitely gone to pot too, since almost all social functions are at night and by then I don't even want to go. This whole saga started 18 mos. ago and my diagnosis was 7 1/2 months ago. I still have problems that ebb and flow, but I'm learning to deal with it and just trying to be happy I don't have cancer or the MS that my younger sister died from. Having some pain issues in my neck now and in the muscles between my neck and shoulder. I've been listening to all of you and found a Bowen therapist here and have had two sessions. No great results yet, but the muscles have loosened up some.   Sorry to be so long-winded, but I've been lurking and just reading everything posted for a while to get familiar with how this forum works. You have been my best source of information through this whole ordeal and I'm so thankful I found you, since I don't know a soul with PMR. It would be a very lonely journey without reading post and saying "My body is doing that too!!"

7 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Vickie 

When I read your entry it mirrored my journey in so many different ways .

On reflection over the past few years I have experienced a couple of symptoms which have had me back and forth to the GP.

painful hips : awful pains in my groin area , increased if hips out of alignment 

severe neck and left shoulder pain : over the last couple of years I have had a number of flares and have spent loads on every therapist going to attempt to receive some relief .... Sports massage , osteopath ,ciropractitioner, physio , Pilates .... You name it I've tried it . 

The noiticable change on starting pred is that I have more movement in my hips .... Ligaments appear looser not as tight especially on my inner thighs .

I can sit crossed legged .... Something that I haven't been able to do for a number of years .

The inner thigh pain is very different to the deep ,drawing boney pain that I have in my hips on exercise . 

I too had very similar symptoms to you .....when my body appeared to be 'attacked' 

I had been feeling under the weather, severe pain in elbows which worsened over a number of weeks . I then felt feverish, sickly and the pain restricted movement , severe loss of muscle tone/strength travelled through my body in waves !!! I thought this is it my times up !!!! Have never felt so ill. This led to me being seen by the acute medical team in hospital a month ago.

pred prescribed and within 24 hours I was amazed that the severe pain in elbows, shoulders, etc had gone ... But I was left with what I can describe as severe muscular damage .... Back , arms , base of my neck , awful head ache . The feeling of pooliness lasted approx 2 weeks , not helped by my attempts to reduce the pred !!!!

sweats like I can't describe , feeling as if I have a fever ... But temperature normal ....

i am now back to 20 mgs and have had to learn to manage the best way I can .

if I do a little bit ... Then I pay the price !!! But once rested I am now experiencing times when I feel comfortable . 

I do not have a confirmed diagnosis as the rheumatologist feels that I am far to young !!! (Have only had 1 emergency consultation following my admission ) this was the onset of my assessment and have a few tests to follow .

thank you so much Vickie for sharing your story 

I too have felt a bit lost, scared , as if I'm losing my mind ....

I Wish you all the best and do hope that you are able to get to a point where you can manage the pain and symptoms .

I too have found this forum very informative and helpful during my journey .

take care 

Helene x

• Posted

Welcome to the club no-one wants to be in!!  You will find all ( or rather most) answers on this forum.  Keep asking.  There is always someone on here to listen, give advice, etc.  As we seem to have "friends" over the whole world it doesn't matter about time differences, someone will be there.

Good luck with your PMR journey.

• Posted

So glad you have one one of the 3 UK clubs that no-one really wants to belong to! 

That is a superb description of how PMR started for you and the effect on your life. Someone else in the US, Dan in California, was speaking yesterday about a new publication called ""I suddenly felt I'd aged": A qualitative study of patient experiences of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).Twohig H, Mitchell C, Mallen C, Adebajo A, Mathers N"

This paper reports interviews with patients and describes the effect it has on us - and for the first time it is being made clear for doctors just how disabling PMR can be. Helen Twohig is a GP in the Sheffield area in England and she and the Leeds rheumatology group are active in doing this sort of research, clarifying symptoms for the purposes of diagnosis and research. Christian Mallen is also involved with the Leeds work - and so am I as a patient associate. 

Your diagnosis is actually typical - someone gets a steroid injection for shoulder pain and suddenly realises that other aches and pains have improved too. Now you have taken the plunge and posted please keep doing so! And see - you've already found someone closer to you than you could have dreamed.

However - all the best! And keep resting!

• Posted

PS - I do realise that Spokane to Vancouver WA is still a fair distance!
    • Posted

Yes, it is,  5 1/2 hours --- it is good to know that there is another PMR sufferer who lives in the same state and belongs to this forum.  One does not feel so alone and one can relate.
    • Posted

Maybe you could advertise and find someone who lives halfway wink
    • Posted

I got lost after trying to get to Mt Rainier from Oregon without using the I5 - foolish move - ended up in Morton WA in the middle of nowhere everything looked the same driving thru' the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.  As it was getting late I pulled into a Motel, it's was something out of 'Psycho' very rundown, with the owner sat in a rocking chair on the veranda, no cars in the parking lot and then when he showed me to number one - well!!!   Strange thing was when I asked the price he said we don't do state tax (I think it was then 8%) I'm sure I only paid about 5 dollars for the night!!   Got about 500 yards down the road the next morning and came across the only other Motel in the area - what a difference, brand new! 

Will not be coming to Oregon this year, don't think I could stand that length of time in an aircraft and a 180 mile road trip to West Linn in my condition.  Taking a 3.5 hour one to Cyprus instead.

• Posted

Hi John, interesting story about your experience in Oregon years ago.

I don't blame you for not taking a long airplane flight to Portland.  I prefer short 1 hour flights to Vancouver, B.C. or San Jose, California.

Cyprus sounds good --- just 3.5 hours are doable.  Have a GREAT time!

Erika

• Posted

Usually fly into Seattle direct from London.  Unless you change somewhere in the States can't get to Portland, this just makes it even a longer trip.  The 180 miles is just down the I5.
  • Posted

Wow Vickie - you are not alone in the journey.  Thanks for your post and the very best for the rest of the journey.

Regards, John

• Posted

Wow!  What an awful long and painful journey for you.  I guess I'm

lucky, my doctor suspected PMR the first time I went in when I couldn't

get up out of a chair without difficulty.  He drew blood right then and

called me later with news that sed rate was 92.......that was a year

and a half ago and am doing well....pred dose goes up and down

somewhat and most of my problems are in my butt, legs and thighs.

I had never heard of PMR.

I hope things continue to improve for you and can't imagine the

anxiety of knowing something is very wrong and docs can't find it.

Like you I don't know anyone with PMR and in fact had never

heard of it and I, too am glad to have found this site so

can at least do some comparisons with my problems and

what everyone else is dealing with.

• Posted

Hi, Vickie, I loved the bit where you said you have been "lurking and just reading everything" !  It's certainly what I did for some months before I felt able to contribute anything about myself. . .  For me this forum was a life-saver as most of those close to me dismissed PMR as like a  'bit of arthritis in the muscles'  that probably goes away eventually . . and  'you should be glad you don't have RA' . . . I worked in a hospital for 37 years and have had many "coridoor consultations' and then back to work. I also have a family full of doctors whose attitude was to just get on with it. When PMR struck I found I just couldn't and I felt so isolated. .  . You certainly have been through the mill. Good luck with your recovery. Kind regards and thoughts.
    • Posted

On my profile it says I joined 3 years ago - I actually joined this forum about 5 years ago, or maybe it is 6! The forum had a major makeover 3 years ago and all the previous stuff was discounted. But I too read every single post on the existing forum before I felt I could say anything - and then one day there was a post asking something I knew the answer to! Then I got in contact with the NE of England support group. The rest is history as they say lol

I have met so many wonderful people and it has changed my life. I hope all of you have a similar experience - PMR or not.

• Posted

Juno0309, I felt as you did that I didn't have anything to contribute at first because I knew nothing and was just trying to learn what was going on with me. I've read so many things that have happened to people on this forum that aren't listed in the symptoms of PMR that you find when you just Google the disease, and some of these I've had. I just thought I had something going on besides the PMR that wasn't making sense. It's so wonderful to find out that you aren't alone. Even though I've explained all these things to family and friends a zillion times, they still forget I can't do some things because I look healthy--in fact I look better now cuz the Pred has given me fuller rosy cheeks! I was getting rather gaunt & ill looking when I was losing so much weight and getting no sleep. I guess if you look good, you're supposed to feel good!
    • Posted

Eileen, you have no idea how excited I was when I found this forum. When I was diagnosed, I had never even heard of PMR, not to mention knowing anyone else who has it. I still don't know anyone here in Spokane that has it, although I'm sure someone else must. A friend said her father-in-law had it, but she's been down south for the winter so I haven't been able to pick her brain on what he went through. Just knowing you're not alone in all the weird things yor body does with this disease is like a weight has been lifted off of me. When my doctor told me the prednisone would make me feel so much better, and it did, I thought I had this licked and I would sail through to my recovery. Ha, Ha, Ha, the joke was on me because then the pred side effects started, but I didn't know that's what it was. I still don't know if some of the things going on are due to pred or my PMR as both can do some of the same things. Anyway, i learned very quickly to not be too cocky, as I upped my activity level when I felt better, then found myself back in pain. Too bad I hadn't found the forum at that point to read all the posts from people who have done the same thing & ended up in the same boat.  Maybe I would have listened..or maybe not, since I learn the hard way sometimes. smile
    • Posted

Eileen, just to register that you have played no small part in my coping with the dreaded PMR - and I guess this the same for MANY others over the years who may never have made contributions to this forum.  It must be great to know that, as just one human, you have made such a significant difference in the lives of others. Take a bow !   x
    • Posted

Well Vickie, I could do with some plump rosy cheeks ! It was great to hear you mentioning that you were "gaunt and ill-looking"  and had lost so much weight. . . I lost almost a stone and have only put back a few pounds. No weight gain on Pred. and still have those dreaded panda-eyes. . . So I'm looking bad and trying hard to feel good !!!  Difficult. Take care. 
    • Posted

Lord, I left out a bit at the end of the first sentence . . . supposed to be " but have now improved" . . . Very sorry. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.