My zoplicone for chronic insomnia isn’t workin

Posted , 2 users are following.

so i am meant to take 1 7.5 of zoplicone but there just not working ive taken 8 of them tonight about a hour ago still cant even feel anything not even a bit drowzy...can anyone help on what to do ive asked the doctors for years to put me on a week monitor to prove that i cant sleep

i genuinly sleep 3hours in the day then i will be up for the next 2 days & nights

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am a retired medical professional but from the U.S. so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with all of the practice restrictions and insurance provisions. I will see if I can provide a response that can help.

Regardless of location, many practitioners treat based purely upon a symptomatic approach, providing a medication designed for the intended treatment and if symptoms improve, then adjustments are sometimes made until maximum efficacy is achieved. If the medication is ineffective, alternative medications are prescribed until one is found to be effective.

While this practice is common, sometimes treatment must be prefaced by tests or studies to better target the underlying cause and best course of treatment. Insomnia can arise from many causes and disturbed sleep architecture is not always resolved through symptomatic treatment with sleep hypnotics.

In instances where sleep hypnotics are ineffective, the first response should be to examine all medications prescribed to determine whether any interaction exists between the medications. In particular, it is vitally important to determine the source of the first pass metabolism of the active metabolite in medications to discern whether two or more drugs are competing for the same metabolic pathway. In simpler terms, the body typically metabolizes drugs by one of many enzyme pathways in the liver or other organ. If two drugs prescribed utilize the same pathway then one of the drugs suffers lack of efficacy, or positive effect. If such a conflict is present, then a drug that uses a different metabolic pathway should be prescribed in order to obtain the maximum impact and effectiveness.

It is also important to discern whether any other medications prescribed possess side-effects that could be responsible for sleep interference. Circadian rhythm, sleep patterns such as naps, meal patterns and sleep provisions in the way of lighting and bedding all fall under consideration related to causal factors in sleep deprivation.

If sleep hypnotics remain ineffective, then a formal sleep study should be performed so that sleep onset, sleep phases and sleep termination can be studied to determine whether problems exist in the patient's physiological sleep architecture. Once established, recommendations can provide the most suitable direction to proceed in establishing successful sleep architecture that results in restful sleep.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.