Need Help! Traditional or THD? Time sensitive decision

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, and thank you to anyone that reads through this,

I have suffered from horrible hemorrhoids for over 2 decades now. I had surgery scheduled last year, but chickened out ( after my doctor rescheduled me several times and I began researching and reading these forums.)

My job is very physically and mentally demanding. Additionally, my new administration expects nothing less than 200%, put me on an employee improvement plan ( I have been in my position for 26 years and NEVER received a negative review prior) and basically expects me to get this sorted or resign. Making it through this previous school year was agony. For the last year, I woke up at least 2 hours early to manage b.m's, medicate to relieve the pain after and used extreme amounts of suppositories/creams throughout the work day. Unable to perform any but the most required daily living tasks after work, so I have to do something now.

I have a traditional closed hemorriodectomy scheduled for July 13th, I would have about 6 weeks recovery time before I must return to work.

Pros:

Doctor is a colo-rectal surgeon, with limited but good reviews

Office is less than 10 minutes away and every time I call, I get a live person on the line

Hospital is also 10 minutes away and is a good hospital.

He uses Exparel and stated he would give me the most pain medication possible.

Cons:

Doctor barely glanced at my butt for 1 second and did not do any type of exam.

He uses Ligasure, at times, but could not tell me if he would use that for me ( he said he does not know what he will have to do until he gets in there, so I have no idea what type or how many hemmies there are).

He stated the standard "you will be in pain the first week, week two will be better and by 14 days, you should be fine."

Only pre-op instructions were nothing by mouth the night before.

No post-op instructions/pain management plan, as of yet.

Slightly higher rate of post-op complications

After MUCH research, I found a colo-rectal doctor that performs THD (why are they so hard to find?)

Pros:

This surgery sounds much more appealing. Less pain, less time for full recovery.

No cutting, so preserve anatomy.

Just less scary

Cons:

Initial appointment isn't until July 17th, no idea when surgery would be scheduled and I must return to work by August 28th.

Don't even know if I am a candidate for this yet.

Hospital is sub-par according to reviews.

This doctor and hospital are a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Do not get a person on the phone frequently when I call and no call back 2X.

Does not use Exparel

Higher rate of recurrence

So, if you have read this far, I thank you. I have no-one to really discuss this with. I do feel that I am being pushed by my employer to get surgery done as quickly as possible and am sure there will be no sympathy or understanding if I elect to wait to get the less invasive procedure.

I live in the U.S. and have good insurance.

Any advice, experience or even thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks to anyone that reads this and I hope for swift resolution to your difficulties.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't have much advice on which option to choose but just wanted to reply. I'm 4 weeks post Halo-rar which is the same as THD I think. Its not been easy especially the first few weeks but things are improving gradually now.

It does sound like you need a full examination. Have you had a flexi sig and colonoscopy, I had both as part of my surgical work up and I'm assuming they can diagnose your grades etc with a physical exam and the camera tests.

There seems to be a few posts on here of people who have had haemorrhoidectomy's and a few who have had halo, I'm sure you have already done so but maybe reading those to compare.

The only experience I have of someone who has had a haemorrhoidectomy was my aunty and she did end up having it done a second time for further piles.

I had to google exparel as not heard of it before but I have to say that sounds amazing, especially if it can last a few days. The pain post procedure was pretty horrific and a nerve block would have really helped in the first few hours/days.

Hoping you can get some answers to help you make the decision and whatever you choose works out well.

• Posted

Hi Jemo,

Thank you so much for your reply. It means so much to me to connect with others that are going through this.

I am terrified, but really have no choice but to get this fixed. I have read EVERY thing available on the internet regarding this problem. From the info and your posts, it appears that HALO/THD, which are basically the same thing, is also extremely painful. Honestly, how much pain can a person experience, how much worse can the traditional surgery be? I'm so scared that it is beyond my ability to imagine and scared to be in such excruciating pain like the people I have read attest to. But, I don't want to go through THD and have it fail.

My doctor says "do not google". I think ALL colo-rectal surgeons would say "do not google" because they would have no patients! Honestly, what other surgical procedure has DECADES of medical professionals researching ways to decrease post-operative pain. This alone makes me think the recovery pain is so much more than I can phanthom .

I hope you are feeling a little bit better today. At least you have taken the plunge to have this horrible problem cured and are somewhat well into your recovery! You made it this far! Cheers to a hem-free life!

• Posted

I'm going to have the traditional hemorroidectomy early tomorrow morning. The doctor that does THD did not instill confidence. She basically told me she would do the procedure, with NO pain meds, prescribed after or exparel. She also stated that THD would be a painful recovery for 1-3 weeks and it would help relieve my symptoms, but will not eradicate the problem. I was actually NOT happy with the consult I had with her. She really hurt me when she inserted a plastic scope thing into my (inflamed) butt.

I don't know if I am making the right decision. Tomorrow morning, I am going to have my hemorroids cut out. I am scared. Resting, they are not causing me too much pain at the moment. If I could retire now, I think I would just deal with them. But, I have to work for 4 more years to get full retirement, so this is it.

2 decades of fearing this surgery and I'm just going to do it. I'm not well prepared at all, but I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.