New hip on the horizon

Posted , 14 users are following.

Welcome. I am to have a new hip in 4 weeks time and cant wait to be pain free after soooo many years. 54 years young and cant wait to get hiking again. Can anyone advise on equipment or bits I need to buy to help me whilst I am recovering?

4 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caron

Welcome to the forum

Are you in the UK ?

• Posted

Ok great. When you go into hospital I am not sure your will be the same. But you might get most equipment from occupational therapy.

Ice packs or packs of frozen peas ( Make sure no one eats them if you use them )

Get your hair washed / done at hair dressers before you go in. Should last the time you are in hospita.

Thermal socks because your feet tend to get cold even if it is a hot day.

Let your GP know you are going in for your hip replacement incase you need more meds,

• Posted

hi caron

you will recover very quickly I amsure at your age. I am 62 and found it ok too.

I wish I had done it earlier.  I am not sure what each hospital will give you but

mine gave me toilet seat , grabber to pick up from floor, 3 pairs of the horrible stockings and the crutches of course.  I bought a second toilet seat for upstairs so had one up and down and an extra grabber for upstairs and down too.

Chair and bed needs to be certain height so have plenty of cushions etc available and extra pillows for under your legs at night sleeping on your back.

I bought two long maxi dresses which i am constantly in as so much easier to get on and off and also gives scar freedom to heal. havent wore trousers yet - currently 4 weeks post op.

good luck and you wont regret it.

I cant wait to get back to golf.

• Posted

yes maxi dresses the best (and this is from a real jeans girl)

and covers the horrible stockings. It also helps with the heat as hot at the moment and I wear canvas shoes with backs and also bought shoehorn (forgot to mention).  Sleeping on your back is a problem to begin with but gets better and I have been ok but when wake up read ipad and then get comfortable again and go back to sleep.

it will all work out dont worry.  I had never been in hospital in my life until this operation but now I have had operation happy to have my next one done.  I had epidural (but initially was worried as wanted to have aneasthetic) but really recommend epidural as recovery quicker. just bring some headphones and ipod in you will be fine. maggie

• Posted

I had epidural and was awake the whole time too. I could hear and smell what was going on but it didn't bother me. I almost felt like an observer!
    • Posted

hi annedi

my anaesthesist guy had spotify and gave me music and with requests.... asked for anything and he gave it to me. I couldnt believe it when operation was over.  was really quick.  I dont remember any smells though but as you say aware of what is going on but in a very nice way.

• Posted

I had cemented and they mix the glue up and it was quite a strong smell! Music would have been nice!
    • Posted

Age I could hear them talking and drilling but felt nothing.
  • Posted

Welcome Caron,

you have found the right place , we are all hippies on here at various stages, firstly if your in the US, you will need to hire or buy your after op. equipment, if you live in the UK, they will send round someone from your local social services to ascess your needs , they will deliver everything you need totally free, hope you have a very sucessful op. let us know how you get on.

Lynne.

• Posted

Hi Caron

i am one and half weeks post op. I am 60 and am progressing quite well. 

Do you do any exercise?  I worked on building up my muscles by going swimming beforehand which can really help. You are young like me, you will recover quickly. 

Definates for me would be comfy chair, especially as you will probably be spending quite a bit of the night in it, soft ice packs, laxative, as codeine can make things difficult in that department. Raised toilet seat. Foot scrubber (sticks to the shower floor) it's funny how you miss things like washing your feet! 

I was absolutely dreading it all, but it's not as bad as you think it's going to be. This place is a godsend as everyone can answer your questions better than most doctors. 

Good luck. Let us know how you get on

carol

• Posted

Hi- thanks so much for the advice. Currently I do no exercise other that walk about a classroom as the pain is unbearable. Will start to go swimming then to build up the muscles and look out for a chair as currently have a low loft squishy sofa that will be no good to get in and out of. So glad to have discovered this site. Life is looking rosy now.
  • Posted

I had  From the hospital - loo seat raiser, trolley - invaluable in the early days when you are on two crutches, perching stool for the bathroom, and a toilet frame for the downstairs loo -  you should be able to get these ordered at your pre op.

Got myself -3 grabbers to be kept in different rooms - v cheap off the internet, 1 loo seat raiser as the hosp only gave me one and there was no way I was going to swap it up and down all the time, a snazzy walking stick for when the crutches went back - if you get one make sure you get the right size it tells you on the internet how to measure for the correct length.

I already had a long shoe horn and sock and tight putter ons but have not used them!

I had a problem with the quilt pressing on my big toenails through lying on my back - and it's now going to take over 3 months for the inflamed toenail bed to recover and my nails have stopped growing - if you are susceptible get a foot guard for the bed or I now use a plastic storage box!  You will probably also use loads of pillows for behind your back and under your legs - I use 7 altogether!

A long handled wash sponge for legs would have been useful to me - I had to rely on my partner washing my legs and feet,

Depending on the pain relief you are given when you come home - if its codeine get lots of tins of prunes or you will probably need something like movicol!

You might have someone to shop for you but I started getting grocery deliveries a couple of weeks before and have never regretted it. Sainsbury will give you fab reductions if you haven't used them before - I've had over £80 pounds off since i started! I still use them even though I can now shop for the boring weekly essentials and just do the occasional small shop for something different.

I got cushions for the outdoor chairs as well as they were a bit low.

• Posted

Thank you for the tips. I will use the internet to buy thise grabbers and go back to online food deliveries- great tipsbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.