New hip on the horizon

Posted , 14 users are following.

Welcome. I am to have a new hip in 4 weeks time and cant wait to be pain free after soooo many years. 54 years young and cant wait to get hiking again. Can anyone advise on equipment or bits I need to buy to help me whilst I am recovering?

4 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi  Caron

Bet you can't wait!  I didn't think I'd look forward to major surgery so much, but I think that's just the way that hip pain gets to you in the end.  I had a THR six weeks ago, and I think the answer to your question is that it depends where you are in the country as to what you are provided with.  I joined this forum after my op and couldn't get over the variation on support/advice/follow-up/equipment there is throughout the UK.

I had mine done in Rugby on the NHS and I had to attend a compulsory pre-op hip education course as a requirement of going on the waiting list.  This was a very useful couple of hours, where we were given some idea what to expect on the day of surgery and after.  It was also our chance to order (free) equipment - raised toilet seat frames which go over existing loos, elephant feet bed raisers, perching stool for the kitchen.  They don't provide height adjustable seats e.g for the living room, so that may be something you want to lookout for/borrow.  Getting comfortable without risking dislocating your new hip is a daily challenge to begin with!  We were advised to buy a handy grabber (not provided free) to help with dressing and picking stuff up off the floor.  I used one  my father had bought many years ago and it has been brilliant - I think Argos do them.  Also, we were advised to buy a longhandled shoe horn - again, very useful.  My hospital did sell them at cost price c. £3.50 but also told us we could get them for £1.50 in IKEA, if you have one near you.  Walking aids are provided for when you leave hospital and I was able to get three crutches, so I could leave one upstairs all the time when I was on two crutches - you don't really have enough hands to carrying anything to begin with, so big pockets are very handy.  Also advised not to wear slip-on slippers or shoes - crocs ok with back strap on heel.  So had to invest in new slippers and flat shoes.  I usually wear jeans, so had to start a hip-replacement wardrobe with jogging bottoms/leisure wear from M&S, also harem pant-type soft material trousers.  Your wound will feel tender for quite some time after the dressing is removed, so you need something soft against it.

In my area, they don't use TED stockings, but plenty of people on the forum have had to wear them.  I think that a V pillow is a good investment, if you haven't already go one, because you may find that whilst you have to sleep on your back for the first 6 weeks, your heels can get quite sore.  If you can put a leg/foot on each of the branches of the V, it can help with this and any swelling you may get.  I'm still using mine to get comfortable, even though I've had the sleeping restrictions removed now, because I think I've forgotten how to sleep on my side now!

We also had an A5 booklet on information/exercises to take away with us.  Again, this aspect of hip-replacement surgery does seem to be area specific.

Good luck with your surgery - it will be worth it, but it is a gradual recovery period and it can be frustrating at times.  Just go slowly!

all the best

Cheryl (55)

• Posted

Thank you so much for the helpful advise. I am in the UK and am awaiting my pre- op advise session but only  4 weeks away means that I need to get these things ordered online to help with life after the op. I will let you know how I get on.
  • Posted

Hi Caron

I am 63 and 2 weeks and 4 days post op and doing well

My essentials are loads of pillows and the grabber or grabbers as you are never in the right place when you need one. Ist day out of hospital I was using mine to put washing in the machine and take it out. Also useful for using with a towel to dry your legs and pick up the hundred and one odds and ends you will accidentally drop on the floor. I have been wearing loose fitting jogging bottoms / t shirt since I came out to hospital and felt very comfortable.

I have been out for a meal several times and take a raised seat cushion with me wherever I go - you can get them from 'Coopers' on line (dining room chair size ). I have also got a larger one for settee/armchair at home. They are a godsend and even if just stopping off somewhere for a coffee are essential as you don't want to be sitting on a low cafe chair and breaking 90 degree rule

I am sure all hippies will agree with me that getting any sleep is difficult in and out of hospital so an iPad or Kindle and plenty of books, magazines, and puzzle books as well as TV will be your nightime companions.

Shopping online is essential and sorting out your order on your IPad is something you can do post op to keep you occupied. I started a few weeks before so that I could get hubbie used to unloading and putting away!

I am sure you are so looking forward to your new pain free life. This forum is amazing and will be such a support to you both before and after your op - log in as much as you can. There is so much information to be had and even if you just want to share your thoughts and worries, folk are here all the time to help you.

I don't know what I would have done without it

Warmest wishes Linda xxxx

• Posted

Hi Caron 

Like you, I wanted to be thoroughly prepared and bought loads of stuff before I went.  Some I haven't used at all and others have been invaluable.  I haven't used a perching stool because I'm always on the move.  From about 8 or 9 days in I have been cooking and clearing up in the kitchen without using my sticks.  I hold on to the worktop and move around and back and forth and enjoy myself creating new dishes.  I'm pleased to say that my mind is enjoying the break from work and is looking for new ways to be creative.  My shopping is all delivered which has been a delightful new discovery and, like others, I've found many ways of achieving shopping discounts.

my armchair is my number one favourite thing in the world.  It's a normal electric recliner which a friend has screwed onto a large wooden block.  It is soft and comfortable, high and easy to get into and out of and I can raise my legs gently with the electric button (no sudden jerking from the mechanical type) I also fully recline it for a nap when my hip/ groin need to be stretched out flat.  I've had absolutely no swelling and I can't help but wonder whether my lovely chair is helping with all this. Oh, and big table next to chair to hold all the things I want to hand. 

the day before my op I had a good haircut and went to a podiatrist and got toe nails cut back.  They don't look beautiful now but are not pressing on covers like someone else has said. 

I shower normally and have crutches (and husband) ready when I get out.  Wish I had bought a shower mat as have to use small towel on shower floor to stop the slippiness. 

I also stock piled packets of ordinary painkillers as hospital say you have to get them from GP and I didn't want the hassle of going out to collect prescription. 

Oh, and clothes, I have been living in the baggy/ loose trousers that are everywhere this summer.  Not sure I could cope with lifting dress etc for loo but we are all different.  

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on. 

Laura 

• Posted

Oh sorry - didn't realise how long this was...
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the great tips. Im looking into getting a high armchair as my furniture is that IKEA low loft living stuff.
  • Posted

Hi again Caron,

I forgot to say, you will have to sleep on your back for 6 weeks!! it's a nightmare for most of us, but I found a giant 12ft u shaped pillow on ebay, it's called a slumber pillow for pregnant ladies, but it works fine for keeping you in the right postition while you are sleeping, also if you have an over bath shower that's a big no no for the first 3 months!! yes I know what your thinking, but they seem to think that giant wet ones will suffice lol, so I got a shower stall put in,the thought of 3 months without a shower!! arghhhh! the loo booster seat they will supply, and the grabber, also crutches and the lovely 200 denier support socks!!lol, please let us all know how you progress, there is always somebody online in this group, you are not alone,

Love,

Lynne x

• Posted

Dear Caron,

I have bought two very soft and loose jogging trousers ...With the help of the grabber it is very easy to put them on. I also bought toilet seat, shower stool and grabber from Argos catalogue. The hospital gave me two  crutches and a walking stick.

I am also using a lot of pillows and cushions to raise the level of chairs and arm-chairs ( you have to keep 90 degrees for 6 weeks)and also in bed you will want extra pillows. I cannot think of anything else...Yes: go to the haidresser just before your op, and have pedicure but don't put any nail polish/varnish on nails.

Please don't worry, it will be ok...I am 65 , 4 weeks after op and I am doing very well, almost back to normal!

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Caron, we must be about the same time - I'm 30th July? You can find lots of handy gadgets at Complete Care Shop online - good prices too! I've just bought two swivel seats, bound to come in handy and an extra non - slip mat for when I can have a shower. This is the place to come for good advice and support, Welcome!
  • Posted

Hi  Caron ... aren't you glad you found us ????? welcome to your new found home - are you living alone ? I do live alone and have the pots and pans I use most on counter/stove ... Electrical outlets are ground level, so I have one of those remote controls - brilliant - 4 lamps are connected to it and I just have to push and button to turn them on/off ...my couch is on wooden blocks and has the perfect height ( about 20 cm) ---  you will get very creative, especially with the grabber ...

good tips here !! you will be well prepared ... 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you so. much. I have help at home and my daughter who lives in London may come up for a few days to keep me under control!! So glad I found this site.

Caron 

• Posted

I would agree with all the things everyone else has mentioned but from Basingstoke hospital we were allowed to use an over the bath shower at two weeks so long as the occupational therapist checked you could get in and out OK. I had no problems with it at all.
  • Posted

Volterene Pain cream 2%

Have at least a couple tubes on hand.

It's odd but you will get little pains say in your knee or your shins, even on the non operated leg. Also back aces from sleeping on your back.

It has a slightly different name in the UK but it is Volterene pain cream, I'm sure your pharmacist can help you find it, it is sold without a doctors prescription.

I love that pain cream, it really works. It takes about 30 minutes for it to work and it doesn't last that long, but it does take away almost all of the pain. I had terrific pain in my butt cheek, and at night I rubbbed on the cream, took the pain pills and I was able to fall asleep. A lot of times you will have a small pain and instead of taking a pain pill the Volterene Cream can knock down the pain, just by itself. The 2% is a lot better than the 1%.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.