New hip . Pain really bad ! Help please !

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi new to this group - uk. Has THR right hip six days ago . Pain very bad . Walk very slowly on Zimmer but now feel I want to stay in bed . Only going to the loo and up down stairs once day .. Is this normal ? Pain can be nagging/spasms/general ache that not much pain relief touches . Taking 2x30 mg codeine and 2 paracetamol about 4 times a day and about 4oo mg ibuprofen . Rang doctor who said this is right . Tried icing and elevating . Don't want to get up today as bed brings some relief . Please can anyone say if this is normal ? Did not expect this much pain ...thanks x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi hazel

This is normal, the first 2 week are the worst then you should start to feel better. It's still early days. Good luck.

Suzanne

• Posted

Hazel. I was in awful.pain and I was on morphine. Nothing seemed to give me much relief. Turned out I had nerve damage and was prescribed amitryptaline which sorted it. However hard it is you should be up and downstairs and doing your exercises. If getting up and down stairs is difficult and no downstairs loo. Ask for a commode. Helped me greatly. Remember its early days and we all heal at different rate. Speak to your doc abt more pain relief. It will get better. Xx
  • Posted

I think you need to contact the team that carried out your operation. As far as I can see, and in my experience, the pain is relieved by the op.
    • Posted

Auntiebeanie has good advice.  I know someone else who needed strong painkillers.  I hope you are helped very quickly!  Big hug!
    • Posted

Did you have a full hip replacement Maureen? Pain after this operation is completely normal. Everyone is different, and the procedures are different. but at no time have I ever heard on day six of someone being painfree. Would love to hear more if this was your experience, as it is highly unusual.
    • Posted

Do you know it's all a bit of a blur!  I had both hips replaced on 8th August.  It all felt very uncomfortable in hospital but I think it was as a result of the major surgery.  Possibly the drugs were a part of the blurriness!

• Posted

I think maybe after a double hip replacement you might have felt in a blur!! I felt in a blur after one! smile

You are right to point out that the pain is surgical and not the previous bone pain we had before, but I found it hard for a few days to distinguish any one pain from another. 

I wonder if Hazel could do with more painkillers, it might be better for her recovery. I hope you are feeling better now Maureen a few months on makes such a difference x

• Posted

Hi Maureen

​I had both my done on the 11th August, how are you getting on?  how much physio do you get so far I have only had 2 but not much physio more talking.  I am getting out and about, but still use my crutches outside.  Indoors I am sort of walking without... would be great to hear how you are doing. x

• Posted

Doing very well!  I've had quite a few physio sessions and just started hydrotherapy yesterday.  I've got another 4 of these then I'm supposed to start a class with the physios.  Hydrotherapy was AMAZING!  It feels like the water is pushing you on. I use crutches outside.  I hope you are doing well too!

• Posted

Thank you Maureen,  I am going to ask my physio for Hydrotherapy as feel this would benefit me as my knees are not good... I knew it would not be easy because these need replacing as well but they are stopping me progressing.  

Not many Bilaterals on here that had them done at the same time.... at least my knees will be done one at a time... think I would go slightly insane if they were done together.  

​Where are you?  I am in Eastbourne, UK...

• Posted

Cardiff.  I waited such a long time for my hips to be done...so glad it's done now.  Somebody said yesterday that all the pain had gone out of my face!

• Posted

It is wonderful to leave that pain ....... and yes I do feel better for getting them done.  I had to go out of area had mine done in Middlesex because Eastbourne said no until I was 65.... that meant another 10 yrs.. I could not function.. 

Onwards and upwards next challenge is a nice holiday where I can swim everyday. xx

• Posted

Hi Rose

Yes I rang the doc for more/ stronger ones and although sympathetic she said what I was on was right and just did a script for some more ! But I am 5 ft 8 and wrong side13.7 stones .. Maybe the bigger you are the more you need ? Like cart horse size please !

• Posted

You do absolutely have to take size and weight into consideration, I would ring again (or ask someone to do it for you) and be a little more assertive.

It is not for a dr to say your pain killers are adequate when clearly they are not, and you are still in so much pain. They ought to be doing much more to support you, and besides the dr hasn't just had one of their limbs hacked out and replaced, perhaps if they had experience it, they would be a little bit more accommodating. Don't take no for an answer is my advice! You need to be comfortable enough to manage the toilet, do the basic exercises and get some amount of sleep however small. Good luck hun x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.