New hip . Pain really bad ! Help please !

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi new to this group - uk. Has THR right hip six days ago . Pain very bad . Walk very slowly on Zimmer but now feel I want to stay in bed . Only going to the loo and up down stairs once day .. Is this normal ? Pain can be nagging/spasms/general ache that not much pain relief touches . Taking 2x30 mg codeine and 2 paracetamol about 4 times a day and about 4oo mg ibuprofen . Rang doctor who said this is right . Tried icing and elevating . Don't want to get up today as bed brings some relief . Please can anyone say if this is normal ? Did not expect this much pain ...thanks x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ten years ago you would have still been in hospital, where you would have had lots of support.

10 days, I was still in bed, doing nothing other than going to toilet and then back to bed, no stairs I could not have managed them, so for a start you are using muscles to climb those stairs that I didn't, can you avoid the stairs for a few days, just give the muscles a rest, and don;t be in too much of a rush, listen to your body it will tell you when you feel able, and keep your legs elevated, works wonders for swelling.

Once or twice a day for a short while I would come out to the lounge room and sit in a upright chair and watch TV for a little while, but even that was very tiring, so back to bed.

When you are in bed flex you feet hard as you can, first one way than the other, and squeeze your butt muscles together, hold relax and do it again, you must keep your circulation going in your legs, do these exercises maybe every 60 mins or so, variation on the theme is to draw your knees up a little, be safe and don't go past 90 degrees, and then straighten out again.

Watch out for dry heels, some moisturizer was a god send for me, good job for carer to massage into your feet.

REST REST and more REST is the order of the day for now, you will turn the corner at about 14 days.

You will already recognize the hip pain has gone but the surgery pain is doing you in, us fellow hippies feel for you.

Remember they have dis-located and broken your leg to put that new joint in place, they have wrenched you muscles fiercely to do that, and they have also stolen alot of bone marrow to fit the prothesis and replaced with steel and glue.

Your poor body is still adjusting to the lack of red blood cell manufacturing marrow tissue, loss of blood generally from circulation and the whole shock of the surgery. 

It does get better, I have done this twice over, thinking of you.

• Posted

Thanks Lynn, see my post about being in for 28 hours then out ! Bit of a shock but they want the bed ! Very helpful what you said much appreciated X
    • Posted

I was about the same, tossed out of the hospital far to quickly, with my second THR, first hip i was sooo ill with their Morphine, they had to keep me a few more days, so much for reporting I was allergic/bad reaction to it.

Queensland had just had a cyclone the same day I was operated on, in the north, and they were clearing beds in hospitals in Brisbane for projected influx of patients, didn;t happen thank goodness.

• Posted

I go next week to hopefully get my surgery date, but I can say being released from the hospital so soon is my main worry.  I usually run fevers and even got an infection once when having surgeries.  My surgeon mentioned that many people go home same day.  This worries me as I just want to make sure that I have enough support the first day to ensure a successful time at home.  I think I'll ask to be in the hospital for 1 full day at least.

• Posted

Hi

?The pain is the all the healing process, your body has been through alot, have you watched the video on utube..... I tried but seeing what my body was put through I could not watch it all.

?We all have bad days and walking around helps, saying in one position for to long just adds to the pain when you do move. 

?You need to use the toilet more than once a day or you will end up with a UTI.

?Everyday will see you improve, set yourself little goals, "I am going to walk.... "  and increase the distance slowly over a few days.

?I am now 8 weeks still have pain, not the hips its the muscle, nerves and tendons all trying to heal, and some days are worse if I try to do to much, or my body is protesting at what I have tried to do.

?Each person is different so you need to read all comments and then look at your situation. 6 days is very early days, I was still in hospital on day 6. 

Good luck and best wishes

• Posted

Elaine

I tried to

Watch video last night but likewise gave up .. I swear it was making pain worse ! Thanks for your reply xx

• Posted

Hazel, there is also an animated version --- real good one -

I was so impressed with mjy body and her ability to repair after I watched the video - 

sending you light, love and healing

renee

• Posted

I made my son watch the real surgery (sped through some of it) just so that he would appreciate what I will have to go through and why I'll be calling for him and my husband for every little thing.  He has a pretty strong stomach and was a bit squemish from the video.  This surgery is very major and healing takes time!  Although I haven't had my surgery yet, I'm told that you need to do the exercises to help you help better.  Your muscles are not as strong as they were before all the issues so I can only imagine that it is not abnormal to feel the pain you are in.  Good thoughts are being sent your way!

• Posted

Hazel the first ten days are challenging, but after that it gets much better, hold on in there. 

I think you need some more pain relief, you should not be left in this much pain. Please call the doctor and ask for more painkillers, there is no point being left in so much pain you can not function, esp when there is good pain releif out there. You didn't mention whether you are allergic to anything, but I am assuming you were okay with morphine based pain killers? There are plenty of options, so your dr should have really offered you something to help.

Secondly I have to be honest, for the first two weeks I barely left my bed - the thought of going to the loo filled me with dread, I would stay in bed if this is the only place  find any kind of comfort. Guard against bed sores by placing sheepskin coverings under your heels, and watch our for your elbows etc. Please try and make sure you move often even if you are in bed. 

You can do almost all of your exercises in bed, and the others you can do on the way to and from the toilet. 

The first few weeks are the worst, after that you will feel so much better and then day by day you will really start to see huge improvements, certainly a few months down the line it will become a distant memory. Nine months on you will you be like me and won't even know you even had it done. Big hugs to you, you will come through this stronger an better than before xxx

• Posted

I 100% agree with Rose on this. It sounds like you are under-medicated. The doctor may say you are getting enough, but everyone's reaction to pain and meds are different, and you may need more! Be a squeaky wheel and get the treatment you deserve!

• Posted

We love squeaky wheels - I have been one on one or more occasions!

How are you Annie? How are things with you? 

• Posted

I've been that squeaky wheel! Ditched first surgeon and found a great second team when OS couldn't diagnose or treat me with post-THR problems.

I'll reply quickly, Rose, not to derail Hazel's thread! Thanks for asking. I'm not great. I have my hip revision/gluteus medius repair coming up on Oct 27, after such a long, long wait. In the meantime I've had a vertebral compression fracture of my T11 which postponed my Aug 15 date, and has caused no end of pain and disability. Had a kyphoplasty where they shot cement into the vertebra to stabilize it. I've hurt my back again, to a lesser degree, twice more since then, suffering now, and hoping it doesn't postpone surgery for the third time. Discouraged and feeling like this will never end.

Hope you are doing ok!

• Posted

hi hazel, a warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies, darling -so sorry that you are in so much pain ... what kind of pain is it ?remember that you just had major invasive surgery where your muscles were severed, joint forcefully dislocated, and  hardware jammed in hip cavity and thigh bone -are you full weight bearing? do you have a fever? please call your surgeon if the pain gets worse or  you have a fever okay?and let us know how you are getting on ---big warm hugrenee         
    • Posted

Hi Renee

The pain actually is lots of things .. Burning spasms, deep muscle trauma, deep inner pain, stinging .. The lot . I watched some of the

Video and can see why ! Going to stay in bed today to see if it eases and do foot exercises ... No point in actively inducing pain just cos they tell you to move about ! I

Notice a great difference between the health professionals who give advice but not had surgery and those who have experienced it xx

• Posted

good thinking ...

I had to go to the toilet  a million times during the day and night, and considered that exercise ... how about you?

be gentle with yourself -  

know  that all is well

• Posted

Ha ha! Yes the million loo visits I forgot about those, yes it is more than enough exercise for anyone at this stage!!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.