New hip . Pain really bad ! Help please !

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi new to this group - uk. Has THR right hip six days ago . Pain very bad . Walk very slowly on Zimmer but now feel I want to stay in bed . Only going to the loo and up down stairs once day .. Is this normal ? Pain can be nagging/spasms/general ache that not much pain relief touches . Taking 2x30 mg codeine and 2 paracetamol about 4 times a day and about 4oo mg ibuprofen . Rang doctor who said this is right . Tried icing and elevating . Don't want to get up today as bed brings some relief . Please can anyone say if this is normal ? Did not expect this much pain ...thanks x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Hazel  I'm 5 wks post op and yes I was in tears really got me down I didn't expect the pain either but I think as you go day to day you do improve some more than others I walked twice last week with my little dog only short walks with no sticks but my muscles really did hurt me . Just keep doing small exercises each day and I'm sure you will feel better soon. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Chloe well done on walkies .. My dog is going nuts but he is not so little ! Xx
  • Posted

Hi hazel , I'm 9 days post op and all I want to do is stay in bed too 😢 ,stairs are so painful , getting up and down or in and out of bed is painful . I'm totally feeling your pain my love xxxx we must do our exercises lovie , little and often , eat well , get help in as much as you can. It's a long road but we will get through this 💘😘😘

• Posted

Oh Bobbie

I feel better now someone else wants to stay in bed .. It's safer ! I am sure it will get better .. It's just that in bed there is no pain and getting out there is .. Simple !!

• Posted

Hazel for now you have to stay in a cocoon of comfort - and that is your bed. You have A LOT of healing to do, and clearly your body has decided you need rest and tons of it. Follow your body on this recovery and you won't go far wrong.

Once we decide we are going to do things our way, and not place expectations on ourselves, then things get easier instantly.

If you need to be in bed, stay in bed. There will come a time when the pain lessens and you can move more, you start to feel comfortable with mini journeys, and they soon blossom into longer walks, and before you know it you will abandon your coccon and be ready to take on the world again, this won't happen instantly or for some time, but you will get there.

It is very literally one step at a time. Now back to bed you, and do your exercises in bed religiously! x

• Posted

Very wise Rose

I am normally a do too much wear myself out sort of person so I think my body already had me Sussed out . Everyone said your going to be a nightmare as you do so much so I think the old body just said your going to go on shut down baby whether you like it or not !

Isn't it amazing it knows what we need ?

Pain a bit less now ..

Thanks so much for wise words X

• Posted

Hazel,

Looking at my website blog, that's about normal - you have a long way to go yet, and it is a slow journey, sometimes you make a step or tw backwards ... it's not as fast as we think it should be, but it's better that the pain we had before the operation.

Best Wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hello, i had THR on 26th aug. I was the same as you . I stayed on that amount of painkillers for three weeks. Its been 7 weeks now and that level of oai. Is gone. Just remind yourself that you will have to rest . Depression set in with me but its good to talk it out. I had demons because of living with hip dyplasia all my life. Hip pain can make you frustrated and angry. Talrry to get sleep too . The lack of sleep is probably a factor . You will feel better . Let us know and good luck with 6 weeks check up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.