New side effect from Aledronic Acid?

Posted , 12 users are following.

two weeks into taking th I drug..stomach pain is gone which is good. However, I've been constantly clearing my throat and it started worrying my husband. Never did this before and it's probably been since taking AS that it started. I didn't connect it until I googled it and saw that medications can be a culprit. Had anyone else has this problem?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I don’t have any side effects because I don’t trust the drugs. But everyone has the right to choose. About to have another Dexa scan but not much point as I won’t be agreeing to taking the drugs. I don’t think my GP will have a problem with it because she avoids a drug she needs lol. I will remind her if she presses. 
  • Posted

Yes, vitamin K2, vitamin D3 and magnesium. Foods to support my bones include bony broth, avocados, yoghurt and fruit and vegetables, etc.

I try to walk every day as well.

• Edited

I was on alendronic acid for a total of ten years, yes, ten years and if I knew then what  know now I would never have taken them.  I had a cough for months but the doctor put it down to acid reflux/heartburn and put me onto omeprazole.  I have had a couple of endoscopies, the second one showing oesophagitis and gastritis which I believe was probably caused by the tablets. Yes, I know you only need to swallow them once a week but I still think it could be those or perhaps other tablets I was taking for blood pressure and cholesterol.  

Anyway, after seven years of being on the tablets I decided to stop because I was getting pains in my thighs and during the two years I was off them I slipped in the garden and broke my femur and had a nail and screws inserted.  A while later I had a DEXA scan and was put back on the tablets for another three years but decided to stop taking them again because I was getting the thigh pains in my other leg.   I had been reading about being on the tablets for a long time which can cause problems and have since found out that people can easily break their femurs when they are on or have been on the tablets, called atypical femur fractures.  I saw an orthopaedic surgeon a few months ago and was surprised to find out that I had a tiny fracture in my other leg and I don't know what caused it.  They wanted to put a nail in that leg as well but because of blood problems that I have they can't do it.  I was told NEVER to take the alendronic acid again and it would have been what caused me to break my femur, although at the time I told them that I had slipped and heard the crack before I hit the ground which should have rung alarm bells it wasn't picked up on.  I can't be given any other drugs but wouldn't take them anyway because of my previous experience of them.  My advice to anyone taking alendronic acid/Fosamax/Alendronate etc. - if you get pains or aches in your femurs or hips then get it checked out and don't be pressured into taking the medication if you don't want to.

• Posted

Re: cough. I take lisinopril, the lowest dosage, for high blood pressure and the only side effect my doctor warned me about was a cough. I've been on it for years and never had any cough but have heard other people with it.

Thanks for the info. I am keeping a close watch on all possible side effects.

• Posted

It's crazy to try and understand how a drug for Osteoporosis can increase the risk of fractures?!?!?!

That's one of the reasons why I'm not taking it.

Also why if it has a half-life of 126months (!!!!) does it need to be taken weekly?!?!?

Puts me off it for life!

I'm sticking to trialling Vitamin K2 (which I'm glad to see the UK is finally trialling 😉wink

• Posted

As a cardiac nurse, not all peeps on an ACE inhibitor will develop a cough 😉

Some do, some don't - you're one of the lucky ones 🙂

• Posted

On FB - the National Osteoporosis Society (NOS UK) were looking for subjects already taking AA to potentially join a trial of Vit K2.

It appeared just a couple of weeks ago.

• Posted

That is good. It is in high demand in Australia. I buy one packet ahead so I don’t run out of K2.
    • Posted

Are they also going to sstudy a cohort with similar t-scores NOT taking an OP drug?
    • Posted

Have you been taking it long?

I'd love to know if someone has been taking it for a couple of years and has had a repeat bone density scan to see if it has had an effect on them?

I know I'm going to ahve to wait 2 years minimum befor they'll scan me again - I certainly won't be waiting 5 years as suggested by the GP I saw!

• Edited

I can help you here. More info to my story above.   

I have been attending the Twin Research Unit in London for many years and in 1999 I was told by them that my bone density was low but I wasn't put onto medication until 2005. Since then I have had several scans, the details are below:-

Twin Research Dec 2004         Spine -3.1 Hip -1.2

Started Actonel Jan 2005

Twin Research Aug 2005        Spine -2.9 Hip -1.3

Hospital            Dec 2007        Spine-2.9  Hip-1.2

Stopped alendronic acid for two years during which time I broke my femur in 2014

Hospital            June 2014      Spine-2.5  Hip -0.9 

Started alendronic acid Jul 2014 for three years

Hospital             Aug 2017       Spine -2.7  Hip -1.1

Although the scores looked very slightly better at the start they more or less stayed the same for years. It's interesting to note that my T scores were BETTER while I was off the tablets and got worse when I went back on them!   Hope this helps but remember that other people may benefit from taking the tablets.

• Posted

I have been taking this drug for 2 years and am stopping it this week as not happy with the side affects and now I am going to have teeth extractions I am really worried. Have not talked to my dentist yet but tooth ache is starting so know its got to be done . My GP is speaking to the bone doctors to see if there are any safer alternatives to take. I am 6 9 this year and have had a small wrist fracture, and a T12 spinal fracture whilst taking these tablets. does anyone know how long the drug stays in your system after stopping them? I am terrified now of having teeth out and just looking for answers and reassurance. thanks

• Posted

As far as we know AA stays in the bones indefinitely, but gastric side effects will stop when you are no longer taking it any more.

Do you take Vitamin K2? This is an essential nutrient for bone health and should be taken as well as calcium and Vitamin D. You may find in time it will help your dental health as well. Lots of good info on the internet.

• Posted

that is concerning that it stays in your system but hopefully as I have stopped it as if today the side affects will stop, just got to try and sort out the dental side now which is really worrying me.

I am taking calcium, Vitamin D and Turmeric but will now add on K2 so thank you for the info.

• Edited

Any benefit your bones received is still there, unlike with some of the newer drugs. So look on the bright side! Meanwhile you can work on getting your bones stronger more naturally. Google this: healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey

This should take you to my story where you will find some ideas how to improve bone density.

Others who have taken it and later discontinued would once upon a time have been along to share their experience, but this site has become rather quiet since some ill-advise technical changes made it too irritating to use. Mostly fixed now, but too late! We tend to direct people over to HealthUnlocked now as there are more people participating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.