New to fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi. ive just been prescribed 20mg of fluoxetine for my anxiety. i was recently on sertraline but the side effects were horrific and really impacted my everyday life. im still feeling the effects from the sertraline such as dizziness so was wondering what the side effects are like on fluoxetine? i havent actually started taking them yet as im too nervous and cant handle anymore dizziness.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely, side effects are very hit and miss - I have started fluoxetine a total of 3 times and only once did I get side effects. As you will see on a few threads on here, they can be quite horrible, but the people on here are here because of that. There are lots of people out there who take fluoxetine and experience no or minimal side effects!

Personally for me, dizzy wasn't a primary side effect, but I can't speak for other people.

It's a horrible rollercoaster ride finding the right medication and dose, but once you have it's so so worth it!

• Posted

My side effects on Fluoxetine have been disturbed sleep, diarrhoea, hand tremors and chills. After a month I started taking 10mg Propranolol in the morning, and that takes out most of the physical symptoms. Now at two months, I'm beginning to feel quite stable.

I contemplated F. from a distance for a few days after getting them but eventually just went for it. They've not been nearly as grim as I'd expected. Hope you have the same reactions.

• Posted

thanks for replying. i still havent started them yet, im on day 5 of sertraline withdrawal and still got the effects of that (dizziness) so i dont know whether to wait until that goes away and start fresh or not, incase it increases my side effects? i dont know what to do

• Posted

Are you able to ask your GP for advice? That may be the best way forward. There's probably pros and cons to both stopping and waiting, or just swapping straight over, but only a Dr would be able to advise correctly 😃

• Posted

yes i think ill ask tomorrow. when i was given the new prescription the dr said to just take them as normal (straight from one to the other). but my pharmacy didnt have any in stock so there was a delay in getting them, ill mention that as well i think. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.