New to orlistat and feeling anxious.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I am new to orlistat. I am 5ft 7, weigh 13st 4lb with a bmi of around 29.1. I was diagnosed with poly cystic overlies a few years back. In 2013 I lost 2st in weight for my (belated) honeymoon. I managed to do this in around 4 months. A while after my return from my honeymoon I started experiencing strong abdominal pains which later was diagnosed with gallstones leading to me having my gallbladder removed in September 2014. On the day of my surgery I weight 11st 6lb. It is now may2015 and I am touching 2st heavier. I have been eating relatively healthy, bran flakes for breakfast,fruit and veg for lunch and a salad or jacket potatoe, rickety for dinners, yet I still experienced this weight gain. So yesterday my doctor put me on orlistat. I have read a few reviews and people seems to be loosing the weight, which excites me, however I have also read about the sudden need for bowel movements and "accidents". I am worried about being caught off guard with such sudden "urgencies" can someone give me advice on how to avoid such issues, whist still loosing weight? I am eager to loose the weight I just want to know how best to avoid/prepare for the not so nice side effects. Any or all advice is welcome. Thank you in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah10137, its simple really, you wont/shouldn't  have any side effects if you stick to a low fat diet(less than 5g fat per meal)

Its trial and error, your body needs to adjust to the medication, you may experience some gurgling and or pain in your tummy and need for the toilet where you  may pass very loose stools but this only happens if you have eaten a meal with high fats, for instance fried foods, salami, sausages,pastries etc. Best to start taking them when you can be #at home# so that you are nearby(in case of any urgency). But othgerwise you should be fine-let us know how you get on after about a week, take care good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Day 2 and a few gurgles but that's it. Although I keep coming over very hot and shaky, not sure if this is a side effect ( have you heard of anyone experiencing this?) or if it's because I currently have a cold . I will stick with the tablets until the cold has cleared to see if it is just where I am under the weather. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.