New to Zoloft, please give me hope

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently started Zoloft for depression and I started out with 50 mg and didnt have too bad of side effects. Went back to doctor after 2 weeks and she upped me to 100 mg. It has been 2 weeks now at 100 mg and I still don't see any changes. Do I have to wait the 6 weeks to see if it kicks in?

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd say no. But that's only because they gave such bad side effects no weaning off.....if it makes no difference of you take then or not stich with it. Let me know how you go
    • Posted

I have pushed through all the side effects and now just hoping it kicks in. But don't know if I should continue upping dose or wait it out at 100 mg.
    • Posted

Hello Shirley, I'm on day 24 of the tablets, 50mg the whole time. I had my follow up appointment and asked the dr if I should increase as I still feel anxious some of the time and not really feel much better.  He said I should wait until week 5 before any increase.  I understand from others on here that you should level out on each dose for a few weeks before increasing again.  
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. I was wondering was I moving too fast. I will stay where I am until my 6 weeks are up. How are you feeling thus far?
    • Posted

HI Linda. With almost having a month at 50 mg, are you feeling any better?
    • Posted

Hello Shirley, yes I am feeling better, still have anxiety at times but definitely feeling better than 2 weeks ago.  Starting to sleep a little better too. x
    • Posted

Hi Linda. I am about the same but hopeful. I am starting Zoloft Brand name today to see if that may help kick in and be more effective. Trying everything!
    • Posted

Hi Linda. What time of day do you take your medication? I take mine upon waking each morning on empty stomach. Does the medication absorb better on empty stomach?
    • Posted

Hello Shirley, I take mine in the morning but the dr told me to take it with or after food, I think it can make you feel sick on an empty stomach.
    • Posted

According to the big sheet of warnings and info that you get with the medication, it says it doesn't matter if you take it on an empty or full stomach.
    • Posted

Oh that's interesting and takes the pressure off when you take the medication then.  How are you at the moment and how far are you into the Sertraline.  I'm 27 days into it and have a good few days but today I woke feeling very jittery again and feel like I'm shaking inside although my hands are steady, strange really.  I had a busy day yesterday and didn't sleep too well last night so think maybe it's just tiredness.
    • Posted

I took Sertraline for 4 years, got off of it, anxiety came back pretty bad, so I went back on. It's been a week so far. The first day I thought I had the flu, the 2nd and 3rd days I felt like I was recovering from the flu. The last couple days have been fine. Higher levels of anxiety, harder to sleep, and night sweats, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before.
    • Posted

Sounds like it's something that passes in time, I've had a few good days but think I'm having a bit of a blip today, tired I suppose.  At least you know it works for you and you will soon feel better, I love your positive attitude.
    • Posted

Sleeping better, from about 11 to 5 but then can't get back to sleep but am getting the 6 hours.  Still feel slightly anxious but not as bad as it was, have had a couple of good days but never 2 together, but overall I'm coping but not feeling as well as I would like yet, on day 32 of the tablets. How are you Philip?
    • Posted

Slightly anxious still, coming up to six months on 100mg, overall better than when this started
    • Posted

Hi Philip you've been on them same time as me don't u think you would be feeling the full effect by now ?
    • Posted

That's good you're better than you were, do you think you need to up the dose a little or are you happy as you are? Might be worth speaking to your dr? Are you working?
    • Posted

Hello Don, are you feeling fully fit after 6 months then? Hope you are.
    • Posted

Happy at the moment, dr is useless, having cbt which I'm hoping will help, not working as I can't face it right now.
    • Posted

Take care Philip, I'm not having cbt, wasn't offered it but I've heard others on here say it's helped them so hopefully it will help you too.
    • Posted

No I've tapering down I have them 4 months and had no joy I've been having Cbt and we had a good talk and I'm going to try and go without ad,s I need to deal with the problems not cover it up that's what ad,ado then when you stop taking the it all comes back ice got down to 12.5 mg every other day this is the first week at this dose feel a bit low and dizzy at times but anxiety not half as bad fingers crossed how are you doing r u on sertraline ?
    • Posted

You sound very positive and that goes a long way to getting right again.  I'm on day 32 of 50mg sertraline, have had bad side effects but starting to sleep better 5 hours without waking and feeling better, less anxious but still feel shaky inside, I try to keep busy and remind myself that the shakiness is just my tired nerves, I also try to let the worries pass over me rather than give them too much attention.  I know when I'm well I don't normally worry about the things that seem so worrisome at the moment.  Getting there.  I wish you well and hope the cbt helps you, great way to deal with the problems I'm sure.
    • Posted

Will do, let me know how you are getting on, wish you well
    • Posted

Hi Linda. It has been a while since we last conversed. How are you coming along and how many weeks are you in now? I am in my 7th week and that switch that everyone speaks of has not happened yet. I am going to pray that my lucky week will be 8 and if not, I will have to head onward to something else or try a more holostic approach. Looking foward to hearing your success in the past weeks.
    • Posted

Hello Shirley, At about week 4 I started to level out a little although I still had some slightly anxious days and my sleep wasn't too great but by week 5 I felt back to normal and now I'm at 6 weeks today and I feel so much better, no anxiety, not too tired and my sleep is much much better. I'm still on 50mg and seeing the dr for a follow up appointment on 22nd, I would like to stay on 50mg.  I've tried to use a positive approach and just allowed any worries or thoughts to be there and not fight or try to get rid of them, I just haven't paid them any attention and thought to myself that it will pass and it has.  Hope you soon get back to your normal self, are you still suffering with the anxiety?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.