New to Zoloft, please give me hope

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently started Zoloft for depression and I started out with 50 mg and didnt have too bad of side effects. Went back to doctor after 2 weeks and she upped me to 100 mg. It has been 2 weeks now at 100 mg and I still don't see any changes. Do I have to wait the 6 weeks to see if it kicks in?

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Also wanting to know anyone who is on 100 mg of zoloft and how long did it take to get a theraupetic level to help you feel more like yourself? Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time on any type AD. Thanks for all replies!
    • Posted

I've been on 100mg for 6 months, pretty much levelled out but still have occasional blips of up and down mood.
    • Posted

Hi philip. Did you get any relief earlier than 6 months? That seems like a long time.
  • Posted

It could take up to 2 months. I felt I was my best at 150mgs but that was for Sertraline (Zoloft generic) , and I'm not sure the mg levels are the same. I remember it took about 4 to 5 months for me to reach my best, but you should start feeling some better effects soon. Keep pushing through. If it isn't hurting you, there is no point in stopping now. smile
    • Posted

Thanks Johoben! I am on 100 mg for now and have been at this amount for 3 weeks. I am hoping my next doctor visit which is 2 more weeks that I will be upped to 150 and that is where I would like to remain. As long as I can see some glimmer of hope, I know I can move forward. Did you stay on generic the entire time?
    • Posted

Are you feeling at all better yet? And yes, I stuck with the generic. It's usually cheaper and works similarly to the brand name one.
    • Posted

I actually took it for over 4 years and weaned off from 150 over a year ago. I was completely off the medication by the beginning of August. Unfortunately, the anxiety symptoms came rushing back full force and I decided to go back on the meds. Tonight's dose will be my 7th. Moving from 50 to 75 tomorrow. I'm feeling a lot of bad initial effects right now myself. Heightened anxiety, insomnia, bad dreams, upset stomach, no appetite, night sweats and diarrhea. However, those are all quite common side effects so I'm not too surprised it's happening. I just don't recall feeling this bad the first time I started. But that was in 2011, I was 17, and I had no idea how to deal with anxiety or what was going on with my body. Turning 22 in 3.5 weeks and I've had a lot if time to grow and learn different ways to cope with my anxiety. This was just a bad time for me to go off, especially considering I'm on my 4th (but not final) year of college and taking some if the most stressful classes my program offers, while balancing a job on top of that. Plus, I moved to a new home and Michigan winters are brutal on the depression. I have a lot on my plate right now, and I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed by it all. I look forward to the Sertraline kicking in again because I know, for me, it works.
    • Posted

What time of the day you take your medication. It doesn't make me drowsy so I take it early in morning upon waking. Also I take on empty stomach.
    • Posted

I take it before bed. I don't think it makes me drowsy either, I've just always taken it before bed. That's what my doctor initially recommended and I've stuck with that.
    • Posted

Hi Johoben. How are you feeling since your increase from 50 to 75? How quickly will you be titrating up and at what interval. Since you have previously been on dose of 150 then you should not have all the bad side effects that comes with titrating upward. I started on Brand Zoloft as of yesterday and it seems as though I am having the initial side effects all over again especially the diarrhea which I felt was odd since I am on week 5 of taking medication all together.
    • Posted

It's a bit of a roller coaster for me right now. Some days are great, others are very difficult. I haven't felt any difference from going up to 75mgs. I'm still not sleeping too well and I'm still having bowel issues. It's probably going to take at least another month for me to balance out.
    • Posted

And I'll be sticking with 75mgs for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to stay on the lowest effective dose possible.
    • Posted

So the recommended time to give an increase time to balance each time is around 4 weeks. So if I go up to 150 next week in which I am hoping my doctor will say, I will have to wait another 4 weeks to feel better? Thanks for clearing this up for me.
    • Posted

You'll start feeling better after at least 6 weeks on meds in general, but it will take a few extra weeks to get the full effects from your current dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.