Newbie for the Polymyalgia Rheumatica discussion

Posted , 11 users are following.

Recently diagnosed.  This is very painful.  Has anyone found something that helps with the pain?  NSAIDS don't seem to do it.  I just restarted on steroids after a relapse, and a stressful time in my life now. 

I have always been big on exercise and yoga, but am so weak now that it is impossible.  The steroids are being increased until my symptoms subside.  See Rheumatologist later this week.  Am so happy to have found this group.  Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I wish you well with your PMR : I myself have had it for 4 months and am also on Preds, high dose 40mg when I had GC symptoms, now going down, on 35mg but my body is not liking it at all. They dropped me 2,5 for 2 weeks and then another 2.5 for 2 weeks ( 5mg all up ) 1st 2 weeks ok, last week the worst and still in pain. But I have to have a breast operation in a few weeks so they are trying to lower them. I think to fast for me, I dont want to end up back at the beginning again.... 

They say not to take NSAIDS with Prednisone: I take Codeine or Panadol (paracetamol) to try and help. But I can only tell you what is best for me>

Good luck, and yes this is a great site, very informative :

• Posted

I was diagnosed with GCA in June, was in hospital for six days before they figured out what was wrong with me, I was very ill at that time with two many symptoms to name. I waited too long to be diagnosed even tho I was suffering, I thought it was sinus problems and aging. I was immediately put on 60 mg of Pred. in the hospital. Dr. concerned about losing my eye site. Now  I'm on 20 mg. I am tapered down to 5 mg every 14 days. My pain has subsided but the side effects are horrible n I believe it's from withdrawal, not sure.  I have mostly bad days with shaking inside n out and I'm very weak and tired. I rest a lot. I only seem to to have a few hours of feeling somewhat normal and they are far in between. I miss my exercise programs too, I loved it but I'm to weak now. I have noticed my headaches are coming back with the 20 mg of Pred but I hate the idea of going back up on it and it's not to painful right now.... I believe when your Pred is increased your pain will subside. That was the only positive from Pred for that for the first time in a very long time Ii have no crippling pain. Good luck to you and I hope you get to feel better soon. Keep us updated. 

• Posted

Sorry I did not read your post more carefully before.  How are you doing today?  I'd suspect that your reduction is now becoming too much and too fast, otherwise you would not be experiencing returning pain.  Please have a look at the link in my post to Valdez, about the slow reduction plan.  Your withdrawal symptoms should also be less troublesome if you reduce in smaller steps.  "It isn't slow if it works."

• Posted

sorry to be a complainer, but horrible pain.  my GP out of town for a month, am on way to Rheumatologist.  I'm self medicating.  Just took another 5mg.  So appreciate your response.

• Posted

Hi Valdez, I''m sorry you are in pain. The only thing that really helps is prednisone.

I don't really understand how you could have had a 'relapse' if you've only just been diagnosed. 

You have to take enough pred to reduce the inflammation and you will be on it for at least a year or two until the PMR goes into remission  - that may take many years.

You need to learn to pace yoursefl - your life has changed - but it will slowly, and I mean, slowly, get better as you learn how to manage the disesase and the drug treatment. 

My best advice is to read everything you can on here - we have all been through what you are going through now and there is a lot of wonderful advice and discussion about living and treating PMR.

What dose of pred are you on and when did you start?

What side effects do you think you have? We may be able to help you deal with some of them.

• Posted

I was diagnosed on June 25 by my GP and will have my first appointment with the rheumatologist on Friday. That's how long I've had to waiting to get into one. So I'm looking forward to getting on prednisone and I never thought I would say that. And because I have chronic pain from my back as well I'm on opiates and they aren't even working for my pain.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee,  Why couldn't your GP prescribe prednisone to get you through?  You should not have to be waiting so long.  My internist is the one who is treating, since last October, and I have done well, now down to 6mg.  Goodluck with your rheumy.      Elinor

• Posted

My GP said to go see my PM for the pain and my PM and said go see your rheumatologist for the pain so I was tossed around by every doctor I have. So it was a very frustrating situation these last few months. But two days and I see my rheumatologist finally.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed on June 25 by my GP and will have my first appointment with the rheumatologist on Friday. That's how long I've had to waiting to get into one. So I'm looking forward to getting on prednisone and I never thought I would say that. And because I have chronic pain from my back as well I'm on opiates and they aren't even working for my pain.

• Posted

Dear Val I am so sorry you are in pain. If you did not have a magical improvement with the pain either you are on too low a dose or it is not PMR. 
  • Posted

Sorry you are in pain, but Welcome to the group! I just posted about the value of staying at 10m of prednisone for one full year before attempting to reduce. I know how distasteful that is! Tapering too soon is a recipe for disaster. Others will stress the importance of this!😊 Best wishes on your journey...

• Posted

I want to thank all who responded to my posting last evening.  I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago, went on steroids, and then it went into remission.  I knew nothing about it.  But it returned this past summer, and my GP started me on low dose Prednisone, due to fact I also have osteoporosis. I took myself off of it after 2 months, and it really came back worse in more body parts than I thought imaginable!  Bottom of my feet, between toes, back of knees, hands.  Unable to sleep for many nights tossing in pain. Trying to not have to go back on steroids.

Enough is  enough.  I started back this week, increasing up to 20mg now Prednisone.  Finally feeling better!  Energy has returned also.  Finally slept.

I was so relieved to see that there is this group. My question to you - how many of you hold down jobs?  I work full time as an urban classroom teacher. 

Also, is this a lifetime illness?  A friend who is an internist told me that it will go away, but I would have to take large doses of steroids for a period of time first.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

• Posted

I work full time - I'm 'only' 52, so retirement isn't really an option just yet!

It's my understanding that while it will eventually go into remission there is always a risk of it returning.

You will have to take steroids for as long as the disease is active, but not necessarily huge doses. You usually start on a high dose and then taper to the lowest possible dose where your symptoms are controlled.

• Posted

Thanks!  I knew little to nothing about this.  I'm getting more info on this from this online group.   Very helpful.

• Posted

Wise words from FlipDover.  The secret really will be in how you taper.  Once you are sure your inflammation is under control I advise you start the dead slow nearly stop method right away, so that you do not run the risk of any flares.  You don't want to get into a yoyo situation and given recent events, the slower the better.  Certainly never more than 10% at a time. You'll be much more likely to succeed in a taper to a low level and this will result in a lower lifetime load of steroids, which I gather is a factor to consider.  Bone density can be maintained and even improved through diet and appropriate exercise.  The major risk factor for fracture is falling, so it's important to maintain muscle strength and improve balance - tai chi can be a useful addition to whatever else you may be doing.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reducing-pred-dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-method-531439

• Posted

And wise words from you too Anhaga! The secret is in the slow taper Val, so take a look at the link and don't listen to the Drs who try and get you off pred too quickly, you will only relapse.

• Posted

Thank you! You are very knowledgeable, and I agree with you on Tai Chi.  Did yoga 10+ years.  I failed to mention that I'm also supposed to have a hip replacement this summer, that I've put off for many years.  This new development is obviously going to be a complication.  I am just now accepting the reality of PMR.  thanks again.

• Posted

Anyone I know who's had a hip replaced has been very happy with the outcome.  Hope you too find relief when get your new one!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.