Newbie for the Polymyalgia Rheumatica discussion

Posted , 11 users are following.

Recently diagnosed.  This is very painful.  Has anyone found something that helps with the pain?  NSAIDS don't seem to do it.  I just restarted on steroids after a relapse, and a stressful time in my life now. 

I have always been big on exercise and yoga, but am so weak now that it is impossible.  The steroids are being increased until my symptoms subside.  See Rheumatologist later this week.  Am so happy to have found this group.  Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was weaned off of Prednisone a little over a month ago, after being on it for about 10 months. I had been able to do a combination tai chi, ballet, workout DVDs while on prednisone. A week ago my shoulders and low back/ upper thighs started hurting again, so I assume the PMR is still there. Before being diagnosed I was able to do much more strenuous exercise. I always looked forward to exercising, now I can't even do the tai chi/ ballet exercises. Anyway , I'm going to try and go walking this morning. Yesterday I did and my thigh muscles hurt. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you all again!  One more question - what dosing schedule works fo ryou best?

I am in the ACTIVE throes of this demon currently, wake up unable to even stand up and walk down the s tairs.  I just took 15 mg of Prednisone.  Nothing yet after 2 hours.

Afternoon better.  But do you take Pred later in the day to tide over for the next morning when it's at its worst?

Thanks again!  I so look forward to being able to return to yoga and tai chi, but I can hardly move right now.  

• Posted

A lot of people do split their dose so that they can get relief around the clock.  The usual split is 2/3 morning, 1/3 evening, both times with food of course.  Others take the whole amount in the evening.  Still others wake up very early in the morning (like 2 or 3) and eat a little yoghurt or something to protect the stomach and take their pred before settling down for a few more hours sleep.  From what you've said I'd be tempted to try the split for a few days and see if it helps.  Everyone is different so it may take a while to find the best timing for you.  If you can improve things by tweaking your pred schedule that would be better than having to keep increasing your dose.  Good Luck!  Do let us know how you get on with this.

• Posted

Sorry for you Valdez,  the only thing I find useful is Codeine.  Either Codydramol or plain codeine 30mg.  But the steroids should do it once you get the right dose!   Good Luck with it.

• Posted

Hi Stella, if you find that codeine works for you, it is very unlikely that it is working on the PMR but something else. 
    • Posted

My Rheumatologist told me that`s the only drug  (Codeine) to use alongside Pred.....I don`t tolerate meds at all, so haven`t done so......
    • Posted

Hi Linda, it is fine to take codeine with pred, I did for sciatica, it is just that it does not really help PMR. Also your rheumatologist is not quite right in saying that codeine is the only drug you can use alongside pred. There must be several dozens of drugs that are not counter indicative with pred. 
    • Posted

There has to be some kind of misunderstanding or something because this is simply not right. As ptolemy said there are many differnent pain meds that can be taken along with pred. But if your rheumy thinks that codeine is the only one that can help with the pain of PMR then he/she is mistaken as mant Dr are. There are a lot of Dr out there that try to treat the pain of PMR with pain killers of one sort or another but PMR pain simply does not respond to anything but prednison or something that will reduce the inflamation.
    • Posted

I quite agree, my Rheumy is totally mistaken, he can`t make up his mind weather I have PMR after being treated for it after nearly 6 years, taken me back to the beginning again with dosage of pred (why??)  Have no faith in any of them, always reading on here the different and opposite views of rheumies.....where does that leave us......me, still in pain....
    • Posted

Thanks Ptolemy, I'm sure you are right.  I do have other problems and it is hard to differentiate sometimes.  However the PMR seems to attack neck shoulders and lower back mostly and as I also have osteo in the back that could be what the codeine helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.