Noticed blister like bumps on my genital region, what could it be?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm suspecting herpes but I'm praying that this is not the case.

I have what looks like blisters which can get itchy at times. There is some discharge I've noticed, and when enough pressure is applied to these blisters there is slight discomfort.

I've spoken to my partner who says he hasn't slept with anyone asides from me and yes I trust this. Could it be possible that he had the infection but it may have just been dormant for a while? He hasn't shown any signs.

Here is a picture included:

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hmmm, well, they look rather like lesions to me. Does your bf have cold sores by any chance? Did he recently give you oral sex?

Anything's possible with herpes (regarding the long dormancy, etc.), and the best thing is for the both of you to get tested for HSV-1/2 IgG antibodies (not IgM). Your lesions should also be swabbed while they are still new and tested by type.

• Posted

He was sick a long while ago and at the moment he just experiences excessive coughing but that's about it. He saw a doctor about it and the doctor said it was a reaction to his flu. Yes he did give me oral and it was 5 days ago.

I went in for a test today and I'm on Aciclovir until results come in, i'm just freaking out right now and want to know immediately, hence the post.

• Posted

The waiting, wondering and worrying is the worst, I know! I'm not a doctor, but to me they do unfortunately look like herpes lesions, and the fact you were prescribed acyclovir means your clinic thinks the same. But you luckily have very few lesions. How are you feeling otherwise? Any flu-like symptoms, swollen lymph nodes in the groin? Does it burn to pee like a UTI?
    • Posted

I think deep down, I knew it was that I just wanted someone to tell me it for sure. Yeah, my doctor highly suspected it, but I don't like uncertainty and I can't wait until results are available to me because it makes me axious. Nope, no flu-like symptoms and no it doesn't hurt to pee at all.
    • Posted

Wow, you have it pretty mild! Is this the first time you've experienced something like this down below? Have you ever had oral cold sores yourself? Just curious, since you barely have any symptoms. My first outbreak luckily wasn't too horrible, but it still burned when I peed, plus I had a swollen lymph node in my groin.
    • Posted

No I haven't ever experienced anything like this before, I've only been sexually active for a few months. Nope no oral cold sores either. That's pretty lucky, how often are your outbreaks now?
    • Posted

I'm even more impressed now by how mild you have it! Some women get it so bad the first time, they are practically bedridden or need to be hospitalised. That's admittedly at the other extreme. For most, it's an unpleasant but moderate experience. Well, hopefully your doctor will be able to confirm what it is, so you know for sure either way.

I have Type 2, but haven't had it for a long time, so I've yet to experience a recurrence and I'd like to keep it that way! I've spent a lot of time researching genital herpes like crazy, however. Read and absorbed all the key studies and expert Q&As in order to answer the many specific questions I had, which I couldn't find on any one website, so if you have any questions after your test results, just let me know. smile

• Posted

I have one question. How would it work if we were to have oral sex? Would it make us prone to cold sores?
    • Posted

If the infection is genital, then that is where it remains in your body. Cold sores are only an issue if you are infected with oral HSV-1.

Oral sex on a person with Type 1 genital herpes can possibly lead to the virus being passed to the person's mouth, if they are negative for HSV-1. If the person already has it orally, oral sex with a GH+ partner will not bring on an outbreak. Herpes of the same type cannot be passed back and forth. Type 2 rarely causes oral herpes.

• Posted

Hey alright, something is not right. I woke up today with a lot of yellow discharge on my underwear and it pains to pee sometimes. Those blister things have multiplied x 5. Is this how it works? I'm scared.
    • Posted

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that it has worsened for you! A first outbreak can often present with initial lesions followed by a second round of lesions a few days later, which sounds like what has happened to you.

Burning urination means you probably have ulcerated lesions inside your urethra. Keep up your water/fluid intake to minimise the burning. You can also pour water down there while you pee, if the burning gets too bad.

Discharge with GH is usually watery, but since it can sometimes be accompanied by BV or yeast, or should the lesions become infected, the colour and consistency may be different.

Lesions x5 sounds horrible, btw. I am guessing this is probably Type 1 GH, which can sometimes cause a nastier first outbreak, but less problems and recurrences thereafter. Hang in there! When do you get your results back?

• Posted

I get my results in 3 days. I can get them earlier but I prefer to see my own doctor for them. The blisters look really odd though, they're yellow on the inside with red lining around them.
    • Posted

That's because they've ulcerated. Some herpes lesions bypass the blister phase and present only as ulcers, especially on mucosal areas like in the inner labia.
    • Posted

So how long does it usually last for? Also I tried putting tea tree oil on it and it burned so bad rolleyes bad idea huh
    • Posted

The lesions usually heal within a week. You may still have other symptoms beyond the lesions (e.g., discharge, itching, lingering change in how it feels when you pee), but these will lessen after another week, then go away. I was worse in the first week, mostly better by the second, and 100% normal feeling down below by the third.

I love tea tree oil! But I wouldn't advise applying it at full concentration, especially not at first. Dilute the oil with water on a cotton pad and find your comfort level before experimenting with stronger concentrations. Adding water brings on the cooling effect much quicker without the initial burning sensation, I have discovered. It is also antiseptic and helps to relieves itching. I applied it lots when I had my outbreak!

Lol, good thing I always have my phone with me and my notifications set. I'm like a (non-)doctor on call! Haha

• Posted

Yeah haha you're amazing! Can I ask something about aciclovir, how long does it take for it to 'kick in'? I've been taking it since Tuesday and it's Saturday now and my symptoms are just worsening or is that how it works before it starts to heel?
    • Posted

Unfortunately, the GH antiviral meds are not 100%. Even some individuals on daily suppressive therapy can still get outbreaks, just fewer and less severe ones.

The meds are the most effective if you take them at the *very* start of symptoms. The meds can sometimes prevent an outbreak in such cases, or at least reduce the outbreak severity and duration. But even if you start them a bit late, they may still help to reduce viral replication.

The first outbreak is usually the worst and unfortunately needs to run its course (which means getting worse before getting better), and the meds can only do so much, but keep taking them as prescribed and treat your body well by resting up, eating healthily and keeping up your water/fluid intake. The symptoms will start to ease up in a few days. smile

• Posted

I'm trying my hardest to stay strong but my bf doesn't believe he is the reason I have this happening to me since he did get an std check before we started sleeping together. And no, I haven't had sex with anyone else or kissed someone else.

On top of that, urinating absolutely kills me. It doesn't matter where or what with. Water doesn't help at all. Drinking water doesn't do anything for me the pain is still the same. I'm so scared for the next time I need to urinate. I'm in so much pain, I can't even do anything. All I want to do is sleep because my have been aching all day. I'm sorry that you have to hear this, I just don't know what to do anymore

• Posted

First of all, try not to overly worry, as impossible as that may be! Your symptoms are very typical and they *will* subside and you *will* feel normal again. I know it's hard to believe at the moment, but it will get better and you will recover from this outbreak. That's the good news, so stay strong!

Regarding what to do now, I'm not sure how much water/fluids you're drinking, but I drank quite a lot throughout the day and it kept the burning at bay. First morning pee is the worst due to the urine collecting overnight and no new fluid intake for several hours, so I would start drinking water/tea immediately. You can add some baking soda to water (tastes weird) to reduce urine acidity.

I used my handheld shower over the toilet. Warm or cool water. No wiping afterwards, just patting. This usually helps most women. If not, you can take paracetamol or ibuprofen. If the pain is from urine passing over external lesions, topical lidocaine can help. Many swear by soaking in Epsom bath salts as well.

As for your bf, ask him to get a hold of his test results and show you. I bet HSV-1/2 were not included, as they are not normally standard tests and need to be specifically requested. If he did not test for those, then he cannot say he is not the source. Once you get your results, he should get tested as well.

• Posted

P.S. Many health agencies do not recommend routine herpes testing unless you have symptoms, which is stupid given how it can be asymptomatic or near-asymptomatic, yet cause real problems for others. As a result, STD panels do not typically include herpes, but people are under the impression that they do, so when they test "clean", they really think that they are when maybe they're not! That's why you should find out whether your bf tested for herpes, especially if he starts pointing fingers, etc.
    • Posted

This above is the most irritating thing. Why do they not test for herpes in a routine screening?! It is not per the CDC and many other organizations to do so, but WHY? Leads many people to believe they are in the clear when that may not be the case
    • Posted

I think I read somewhere that's it's expensive to finance blood tests for herpes. That may be why.

I don't know if this is a universal practice (I'm from Australia) to exclude it from blood tests.

• Posted

It is quite common to exclude it, unless you have symptoms or specifically request it.
    • Posted

Could be the cost issue, like Eleni mentioned, and also the fact that GH is not viewed as anything too serious, but try telling that to people who have it, especially those who get recurring outbreaks or complications!
    • Posted

It's the same with HIV too you have to ask to have it included. Really pathetic. I have had mild symptoms like you but they have been the same for 6 weeks. I get better and it goes back but the symptoms are the same. I am still unconfirmed for herpes but have the BV and yeast. It's really frustrating. I am sorry your symptoms got worse. Felis has been a big help to me, I am glad she has been able to help you too.
    • Posted

That's what mine looked like I think but it never got worse. Maybe because I was on Valtrex for 5 days to see if it would help. I think that's what it looked like anyways it was so hard to see but when I had a "shiny" area I think that's what it was, was those but smaller.
    • Posted

So just an update on my progress, but the day after I complained about being in so much pain, it didn't hurt to urinate as much and by the afternoon all pain was associated with urinating was gone. Today (one day after) I think all the lesions are healed. I took a picture and there is nothing there!! Sunday it was at its absolute worse and today (Tuesday) it's gone. I feel soooooo much better, surprised I recovered relatively quickly
    • Posted

Wow, that is a quick recovery since the worst of it! Guess that's the meds finally helping. How many days has it been since day one? Anyway, glad to hear it! It should not get worse again, only better, and soon you'll be completely back to normal. smile You must be due to get your results today or tomorrow. Keep up posted!
    • Posted

As suspected, and much better than Type 2! You should hardly have an outbreak again, maybe just once a year, if that. Bet it was from your bf giving you oral sex when he had an outbreak or was shedding. That's the usual way to acquire Type 1 genital herpes.
    • Posted

That's exactly what my doctor said. I haven't told my bf yet about the results, he thinks I'm getting it on Sunday. I'm really worried about how he's going to react since he has been very adamant that he is STD free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.