Noticed blister like bumps on my genital region, what could it be?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm suspecting herpes but I'm praying that this is not the case.

I have what looks like blisters which can get itchy at times. There is some discharge I've noticed, and when enough pressure is applied to these blisters there is slight discomfort.

I've spoken to my partner who says he hasn't slept with anyone asides from me and yes I trust this. Could it be possible that he had the infection but it may have just been dormant for a while? He hasn't shown any signs.

Here is a picture included:

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's not necessarily looking like herpes to me. It looks more like an ulcer
    • Posted

Herpes lesions ulcerate (plus she just tested positive for Type 1 genitally).
    • Posted

Can I ask you a question I forgot to ask my doctor? So, is there a chance I can get cold sores?? Or does the virus only target the original site of infection every breakout? That's the only thing that's really bumming me out.
    • Posted

It is possible to be infected in both locations at or around the same time, but since you only broke out in the genitals, that is a "good" sign, so hopefully just the one location.

Until you build up enough antibodies (usually after 4 months), you can still acquire/spread HSV-1 elsewhere, so don't kiss your bf if he has a cold sore or has tingly sensations around his mouth (he'll need to be more aware of any signs) and wash your hands after touching your genital region.

P.S. If your bf only has oral HSV-1, that is not considered an STD (even though his cold sores gave you one!), so he shouldn't worry about that, and if anything, ought to be sorry for passing it to you down there!

• Posted

Wow! The more you know. I thought HSV-1 was kind of like the common cold. Mostly everyone has it. At least the cold sores on the mouth thing. I get them almost every winter. I didn't know it was considered an STD. Can you tell me more about that?
    • Posted

Think you misunderstood me, but no prob! Oral HSV-1 is *not* an STD, but it can cause genital herpes, which *is* considered an STD because it's on the genitals and called herpes (but technically, imo, HSV-2 is the true STD). Kinda messed up, if you ask me. Either they're both STDs or not!
    • Posted

So the only probable way of me contracting it would be from oral with him? I just need to know if there is any other likelihood. He's the only one I've ever slept with.

Also, if he gets tested for herpes will there be a chance it won't be picked up on?

• Posted

Wait, so confused... So because I have it on my genitals, although I have hsv 1, it is considered an std. But having oral herpes isn't? What?
    • Posted

The only other way would be if you have oral HSV-1 and passed it to yourself, but that is unlikely because you've never had cold sores before, besides which autoinoculation tends not to occur after 4 months (unless maybe your immune system is compromised).

I am suspicious of your bf's sore throat just before you came down with your first outbreak, and suspect this may have been due to oral HSV-1, or if not, the illness weakened his body, thus allowing it to shed more than normal from his oral region.

If he has had cold sores for a while, then the IgG antibody test for HSV-1 should be positive, but that's probably not necessary to do now, if you know for a fact that he has a history of cold sores (even if from a long time ago).

• Posted

To people who don't distinguish between the two types, essentially yes. Although I would always make a point of stating that it's the same as the oral virus, so it's not such a big deal. Unfortunately, I have the sh!t type, so can't do that!
    • Posted

I don't know if he has cold sores or had them for a while but if this was not the case and he recently got it through kissing someone else (which I'd hate to be the case), could it still be detected?

• Posted

If he only acquired it recently, he will still probably test negative (especially if in the last couple of weeks or so). If from ages ago, he will test positive.
    • Posted

P.S. I guess you need to find out whether he has ever had cold sores before. When he was ill recently, did you notice anything different on or around his lips? Even if a completely unrelated illness, it could still have served to trigger a mild outbreak or shedding. I am having a recurrence myself, btw. Just discovered a new lesion! Ugh
    • Posted

No I didn't notice anything around or inside his lips. I didn't pay much attention to that. I did once notice a bump on his penis but I didn't say anything about it because he has a bit of acne on his body and I assumed it was that. But yes, he was sick a month ago and hasn't stopped with the coughs since.

No way! That's so sudden! Keep me updated on whether the experience is less painful than your first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.