Numbness All Over For 3 Weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Female / 15

I've posted on the anxiety forums before, but it's gotten to the point that I can't believe it's anxiety anymore.

I have numbness all over my body (everywhere is the same). It doesn't feel numb on the surface, for example if I run my nails over my skin I can feel it just as I normally would. But if I'm massaging my arm / leg / face whatever for example, it feels numb. I have no problem sensing hot and cold and I can sense pain as long as it is on the surface. I have had this for 3 weeks now, and it is consistently like this.

There is no weakness in my body, and I'm having no trouble doing normal things like walking, writing, etc.

I had an anxiety attack about a sickness (the headaches) that started this, although everything has waned except for the numbness (which presented itself AFTER most of that was gone).

I'm so confused -- what is going on??

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Nicole-Brown,

You just desribed my symptoms almost perfectly. 

I am a 21 year old female and have also felt this entire body numbness (exactly how you described it) which began from what I perceived to be an anxiety attack.

I had been getting horrible head pressure/slight headaches and blurry vision for almost a month and couldn't understand why. My doctor gave me muscle relaxers which seemed to help a small bit but she didn't want me on them for too long. The head pressure didn't completely go away, but it was better.

Still, the next week I continued to have blurry vision and feel head pressure (it was the only thing I could think about), and this is when the numbness began. It started in my head/face, but quickly felt like it was happening over my entire body. I went to the ER and they did a CT scan, a urine test, and CBC. Everything came back normal. They also gave me "the migraine cocktail" which helped me to feel so much better for the time being. However my numbness was still there.

The next morning, I woke up and my entire body still felt a loss of sensation over it. It has been this way for about a month now and it's driving me crazy. I am getting an MRI this week and I will let you know how it goes.

So I don't have any answers for you, but I thought our symptoms were too similar and wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Please let me know if you are feeling better soon!

• Posted

Thank you for your response!! I do not get the blurry vision but the headaches are very similar (pressure). Numbness started the same, it was only my head / face before it spread everywhere suddenly. I hope your MRI goes well and that there's nothing wrong smile

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for your quick response as well! It's somehow comforting to know that I'm not alone in my symptoms. Just curious, have you talked to any doctors/gone through any tests?

• Posted

I saw my GP 3 weeks ago... literally the day before my numbness started just about my headaches. She said she didn't think anything was wrong and that it was probably anxiety, but I am actually going back tomorrow and I'll see what she says.

• Posted

Dehydration, I know I know sounds stupid but possible.

Paralytic unexplained migraines.

Nerve damage during a childhood sickness like chicken pox, measles etc.... OR even vaccines that were given to us as children.

Spinal fluid leak.

Meningitis, bad one but common and treatable! VERY common in teenagers and people in college. Commonly misdiagnosed as well.

Brain lesions. They could be caused by lack of oxygen or an air bubble in blood stream that makes its way to the brain. Both treatable but you won't like how. Also VERY commonly misdiagnosed if an MRI is performed WITHOUT contrast!!! Make them use contrast or it's a waste of money to do an MRI. My step mother had 28 before some genius doctor said to do a spinal fluid test and COMPLETE blood panel. She had multiple sclerosis all along. Not fun to have but again TREATABLE!

Can you tell I've read a lot about this stuff? There is ALWAYS a reason people are symptomatic. Find out the source. Cute it if you can, if not then you can treat it. Now if any of these sound familiar like a family meme bed has it or a relative of any sort then message me back with who, how you're related and what they have. So many others to list BUT I'll wait for a response.

• Posted

I've gotten a menangitis vaccine, so it's highly unlikely that it is the cause, especially since that kills (from what I know) in a matter of weeks which I've already passed.

Dehydration... probably not it but it could be..?

MS doesn't run in my family... and im not sure I can even get a MRI as nobody thinks that there is anything wrong with me.

• Posted

Nicole, I am only going to assume you are a little younger. Your comment about not thinking you can get MRI because no one thinks there is anything wrong with you. I used to think that way. YOU reserve the right to speak up and say to anyone, I know something is wrong with my body and i am not taking NO for an answer! If that doctor won't help you then doctor shop! It sounds excessive but I saw 8 before i found just ONE who would actually listen to me and HELPED ME! Turns out the doctor I had been seeing had me on way too many medications. Some of which were from the same classification of medicine. Meaning they pretty much did the same darn thing! That was beyond frustrating. I didn't want to see doctors anymore that just treated my symptoms and masked the problem. Heck I didn't even know what the problem really was? I was not being given any answers and getting more and more scared. Do not let doctors ppush you around. They only examine you for a short time and never forget they are just PRACTICING MEDICINE. Think about that. So why shouldn't you find one that practices medicine to the point of SOLVING and RESOLVING whats wrong with you? You deserve answers. Just be as open honest and detailed about whats going on with you as possible. Someone will listen. Its your job to find that special someone.

X-rays are good for bone structure and CTs are alright. My doctor says when in doubt refer to the soft tissue. You have to have an MRI but my doc says they are pointless unless you get contrast. He described it as looking through a camera lens that is out of focus. The contrast sharpens everything and shows small details. that way he doesn't miss anything. Thats how I found out I had previously had a minor stroke. But the CT at the ER came back negative for anything. That CT was done with 24 hours of the stroke. The MRI was done weeks later. just crazy that the ER doctor was so careless with my life. That taught me a very big life lesson that day. Do not take NO for an answer when it comes to your health. Things left untreated can cause major problems later in life or worse, they could kill you.

Try keeping a journal with you or take notes in your phone on note pad. Look back at them while in the waiting room for the doctors or read them out loud. I keep track of date time and what i have eaten. Silly short notes about headaches and whether or not I had eaten that day or had coffee or redbull etc...? It helps.

Thanks,

Crystal M.

• Posted

Any answer for the full body numbness how did you fix it?please Help 😕

• Posted

I me symptoms to a t been going on almost 2 years i found out after the docs convienced me i was going crazy that i had bulging disc and herniated disc in back ask for mri of back you may not believe it has as much to do with nerves as it does
    • Posted

I agree with Hoanna and that's why I asked her if she had any injuries recently or around the time it started to happen and she was symptomatic.

• Edited

Nicole, FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS! I wrote this entire message and decided to come back and add this. Don't panic! If it is brain or nerve or blood pressure related then getting upset or panicking will only make things worse. But don't stop until you get answers! You're so young and if you instinctively think something's wrong then keep pursuing answers until you feel better! I learned the hard way. It never hurts to get second or third or even a forth opinion. YOUr health is just that, YOUrs! YOU are responsible for seeking answers. We all are on here because we are suffering. Most of us from something that can't be seen. SO if no one else believes you or they give you grief or say you're a hypochondriac stop telling them what is going on with you. Then once you have a definitive diagnosis you can tell them. Just stay strong and keep referring back to this sight. People on here will support you during this time. Remember that people who have never been through this and are not currently going through it do not understand. Talk to people who do and it will help. You're going to be alright. Now.....

1. Do you play sports? Workout? Run?

2. Have you recently had ANY kind of trans to ANY part of unit hoft? Especially the head, back or neck? Think really hard. For instance I had a hanger pop me in the eye one day when I was getting my dry cleaning out of my car. The hanger was stuck so I bent over to see what it was stuck on. As I giggled lose the pointy part of the hanger went right into my right eye. Weird part is i closed my eye! So why would it hurt, right? Get this! Turns out I flinched and through my neck out!!!! Within a few second I couldn't see. Natural to assume it was from the injury directly to the eye. Duh right? NO i had flinched. When I did the sack in between my vertebrae popped. It leaks out a jelly type fluid that allowed the sack to deflate socto speak. That allowed my verybraes to grind together. All sorts of things that have feeling receptors attached to them run in between all the bones but especially the neck and spine.

3. Be honest with me and tell me if you are what you think is a healthy weight for your body build or are you slightly over weight or overweight?

I'll start there.

• Posted

I meant 2. Do you or have you had an injury recently/childhood on any part of your body?
    • Posted

1. I am a swimmer (or used to be). I still do it but not as frequently as before, and gym classes in school have me pretty active.

2. Nothing that I can remember, it's a month ago now so I'm not sure.

3. Yes, I'm fine.

• Posted

1. Swimming is ow impact. However, diving is not. Do you dive in or do deep swimming or just surface swimming. Pressurized deprivation can certainly cause these things. I swam middle school,high school and lived on the beach. I swam and ran everyday for years.

2. Trying to remember even a subtle injury would help. Even something you might question was an injury. A month really isn't that long ago. I remembered mine in a dream. Strange I know but powerful. I had been wracking my brain to figure it out for weeks. Finally it came to me. 

3. I asked about weight because that can be a trigger for a lot of things. Like diabetes and or thyroid conditions. Amongst many others.

Maybe you exercise too much and are not eating enough? Its called energy deprivation. You could just be eating enough for the vital organs to function. Then you exercise and majorly depleit your energy. Food combinations eaten at the wrong time of day can cause complications as well. Food allergies believe it or not. It is possible. Some people think the chaloric scale is simple. But it varies person to person. 

Going back to you being a swimmer. About hoe long do you workout and do you go hard for an hour or more? Give me a better idea. How many days a week for how long and about what time of day? Do you swim or exercise before or after you eat? About how long after you eat?

Its been a few weeks how do you feel now? Is it getting any better?

Are you going through a lot of stress?

Thanks,

Crystal M.

• Edited

Hi Nicole I know this post is old. Does anyone have the solution for these symptoms??? Really suffering and want to find out how to treat this terrible situation. Full body numbness, head pressure and head burning, Face very numb, dysfunction. Seemed to come on after my first anxiety attack ever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.