Nurofen Plus Addiction

Posted , 3 users are following.

I can see why you cannot get this in some countries. It is evil stuff and I have been seriously addicted to it for 2 years...

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It'll be the codeine you are addicted to, it's similar to morphine. I hesitate to offer advice because I haven't had this problem. Could you reduce it Very gradually by substituting ordinary ibuprofen and paracetamol if you still need pain relief? Or perhaps you need to ask for help from your doctor.
    • Posted

That is so kind of you to take the trouble to write. I did tell my GP but he didn't really take it seriously. I guess it's not seen as a hard drug but it's really changed my life for the worst. I was thinking of substituting the NF for just codeine so that my stomach can repair and then gradually reduce the codeine until I am free. I just long to get my life back. Thank you again. It helps to just even talk about it. I find it so hard to discuss it with family and friends x.
    • Posted

Could you ask your GP for omeprazole or Lanzoprazole which protect the stomach lining by reducing the acid produced, while your stomach heals?
    • Posted

That's a great idea. I am seeing the GP tonight and will ask. Is Lansoprazole good? What does it do? x
    • Posted

As I understand it, it reduces the amount of acid produced by the stomach. I find it good for soothing the stomach when it's sore.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Pixie. Do you have anything you're suffering with or are you here out of general interest? x
    • Posted

I'm on the Mental Health forums because I'm on medication for depression and anxiety, thankfully well under control! I seem to take so many tablets for one thing or another - including high blood pressure and IBS. I've also studied pharmacology, so I know a bit about drugs. I'm glad I could help.
    • Posted

That's really interesting. I hope you are ok now x
  • Posted

My niece was addicted too, and she recovered by alternating with Ibuprofan, Paracetamol and Asprin. She started replacing one Nurofen tablet for the day, then 2 the next day and so on, taking a different pain killer subsitute each day so as not to get addicted to a different pain killer instead. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

That is really interesting. Has your neice fully recovered? Did the alternative painkillers help her deal with withdrawal symptons? x
    • Posted

Yes. She has been cured for about 3 years now. She was addicted for 4 years, from age 17 to age 21. She is 24 now and in University. She says the replacement pain killers totally helped, but it still wasn't exactly very 'easy'.
    • Posted

Thanks Tersia. I am so glad she's well. I have bought some alternative painkillers and I'm going to start substituting them for NP. Thanks again. Drew x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.