Oh no........someghing else to worry about!

Posted , 8 users are following.

So, 14 weeks on from new knee cap and metal trochlea and I've had two days this week when the tightness seemed to be getting a little better.......until yesterday! I was out at a garden centre and pushing (more like clinging on for dear life) a trolley. Nothing heavy in it, just a couple of small plants. Had lunch outside in the lovely weather and came home. A couple of hours later my knee was very painful, tight and the pain was all around my knee cap. I took extra strength painkillers, iced and elevated. When it came to bedtime I couldnt pick my leg up off the floor to get it into bed, it was so painful, and even turning over in bed has been a nightmare during the night. This morning my knee is very stiff, a bit swollen and is painful on the outside of my leg up to my thigh.

Could it just be the heat, in my friends car the sun was very hot on both my legs (I did have linen trousers on so scar was covered), did I just do too much in pushing the trolley, could I be dehydrated......lots of questions going through my mind. Anyone out there experienced anything similar? Am going to rest up today and watch tv.......is there any tennis on anywhere lol? 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, title should say "something" - the heat has got to me!!
  • Posted

Hi Pam,  one of my knees is 14 weeks. I am sailing a linga nicely, but the last couple of days my whole leg is ver stiff.  I have been bike riding and I think I did too much. Ice rest and water is the only way.  While resting keep up your exercises.  Good luck. It's a blooming rollacoaster ride isn't it.  
  • Posted

I wonder if, and I'm not joking ,could it be that your joint expanded in the sun as metal does, they have expansion gaps in most metal structures even gaps at the edge of laminate flooring for that very reason.Perhaps your joint expanded within the tight confines of where it is situated with the resulting pain and tenderness.
    • Posted

Blimey, I never gave this a thought.......but I'm thinking about it now!. You have a very good point and I'll be asking my consultant about it. 

So, not only does it play up when its cold and wet, but now possibly when its hot - you can't win can you......but I don't like being defeated! 

• Posted

that has certainly got me thinking, my knee which was doing very well(i am 12 week post op) has suddenly and for no obvious reason become tight and swollen, it does sound bonkers but I am thinking maybe there is something in this theory !
    • Posted

My knee felt fantastic fir weeks and weeks after op..I was sooo proud of me being able to handke the op ok..THEN BOOMSOOOOO SWOLLEN AND SIRE. The doc said that it was because it was pumped full of cortisone at time of op...then it wore off..ouch....that was 4 yrs ago now....it's better now   course but it's quite bumb above and below..??? doc says that's quite normal...be blessed..have a nice day...
  • Posted

Gosh Seamus, that's given us all something to think about!  (And ask our surgeons).

Pam, I think you did too much.  I'm not as far along as you (6wks TKR) but I did too much the other day and suffered just the same with my knee swelling in places it hasn't done before.  After a very rough night, I rested and iced all day and it was back to normal by the next one.

If I was you, I'd grab myself a Pimms and enjoy the tennis!

• Posted

Am sorting through the drinks cabinet right now!

I never gave Seamus' reasoning a thought - I too am going to ask my consultant when I see him.

• Posted

Pam I have been feeling the same way lately, my whole entite left knee and leg have been really tight and painful. I thought maybe ive done to much. I went to therapy yesterday and did okay, but it was painful. I could not even do knee bends; things I used to do. I was so miserable all that day. Today started out the same; I have iced it, rode my cycler and finally had to take pain meds. Glad to know someoneelse has similiar issues.
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

I am 17 weeks post op bilateral TKR's. I understand. I too have been walking more and riding my bike outside now. Thought I was doing great. The last 2 days I have been in so much pain. The back of one knee is so sore and they are both so stiff. This has happened repeatedly in this recovery. I feel god s, do too much and feel like I have gone backward. Truth is u keep getting just a little bit stronger. I have to say though I'm not enjoying this roller coaster ride at all. This however is not a ride that I can get off. Good luck you will get though this, as I'm sure I will too!

• Posted

If this had been a proper roller coaster ride I'd have asked for my money back! It is a strange recovery - normally when you're ill you tend to suddenly start to feel a little better every day, but the recovery from this is not like that. Every time I've thought that I am moving forward, reality jumps in and, like you say, any progress made seems to move backwards! It is so disheartening.......and really, really annoying lol!
  • Posted

I'm wondering about the heat affecting the knee joints as well I know in really  cold weather it does affect my left knee.    Been feeling great at 17 weeks PO in fact was told tonight by friends that I looked very well, will pay them tomorrow!   Straightening is getting there, using the gravity exercise to help this.  I have had headaches today so I think I need to drink more water.   We will all get there in the end, it does take a long while so no use whatever to hurry things up.   
    • Posted

Hazel, do you work and are you back at work?

I'm 56 and a Secretary - I long to go back into the " real world" but don't feel able yet as still very unsteady without my stick outside of my home. I thought I'd only be off about 8 weeks......how wrong was ? 

• Posted

Forgot to say I'm 14 weeks po following new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit behind it).
    • Posted

No, 75 and loving life.  I do sort of hobby work, I do dolls house miniatures but since Sept last year have had shingles and upto now seem to have lost my mojo so I hope it comes back soon.  Everyone is different, I had to get my leg bend, as bathroom upstairs so that came easy, ( especially as I was also given water tabs for swollen leg) I was off crutches with no stick at 6 weeks.  Still not sleeping well. 
    • Posted

Let's just to to drink.........no cure I know but it would numb the pain......until the hangover kicked in! 

Off your crutches and no stick at 6 weeks......WELL DONE you. I think some of my problem is that for 11 years I've worn a knee support as considered too young for op before, but knee was so unstable and I needed to work, so that was only way I could function. So not only have muscles forgotten what to do but my confidence is also shot. Never mind, I'll just take each day as it comes.....one day I'll feel normal again......hopefully! 

• Posted

"turn" to drink.......I type like I've already had a few! 
    • Posted

Pam we are all as different as our knees.   one day at a time is right.... Keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.