Oil or mucus in stool?

Posted , 4 users are following.

how do you tell the difference between oil and mucus in your stool?

I'm getting tested for a few things, and my doctor is telling me to keep an eye out for oil in my stool. I have had mucus in my stool before (sometimes colored because of the consistency of the BM), but I dont know how to look for oil specifically. Please help me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If titration floats you can notice an oily substance floating this is oil which can be a sign of malabsorption but you will see it floating in the toilet mucus can look like string coming from your stool
  • Posted

Mucus in stool or urine tends to be whitefish and in strands. Mucus is Sally a sign of irritation in lGI tract. Some will float on water in toilet or dangle down tentacle like. Oil on other handle floats on top of water and sometimes has a sheen like an oil slick. You might look up term stateatorrhea which just means oil or fat in stool. From what I've seen steatorrhea can be related to diet, decreased absorption of fats in indigestion or other problems in upper GIGI tract involving gallbladder, pancreas, liver. Most times it appears to be something simple However, get yourself checked out by GI doc if possible. Good luck.
    • Posted

That should have been White appearing not whitefish. Autocorrect, is the bane of my typing. Although I do like Whitefish, the food and the town Montana.
  • Posted

If there is oil in the stool the stool will float. It will be difficult to flush.

If it is oil, I would try to cut down on fatty foods.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.