Ongoing symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone still had enlarged lymph nodes and spleen after 3 months? I have tested negative to active ebv 2 times but positive to say ive been infected previously and the doctors have no idea whats going on

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kurt,

yes after 5 months of mono my lymph nodes in neck remain enlarged. I have had an ultrasound to check there is nothing more sinister going on and have been told by doctor that when I no longer have mono symptoms ( I still have nausea and tiredness although much better than I was) the lymph nodes may go down or in some cases they never fully return to normal. I'm reassured after the ultrasound so no longer worry about them. My spleen has returned to normal. It all just takes time and nothing will rush the process unfortunately. Try not to worry and continue to rest and be patient and things will resolve for you eventually. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Hey christine what did your scans come back as? I have had an ultrasound done on them. I just have constant aches and pains still enlarged nodes and spleen that produces some discomfort and i keep gettinf a sore throat
    • Posted

Scan was clear Kurt thankfully, showing only enlarged node due to infection. The aches and pains you experience and enlarged nodes and spleen are very common. Hopefully you will notice a lessening of symptoms soon. I'm recovering, but still have some way to go. 

• Posted

I have had ultrasound done on the nodes in my neck and they just come back as reactive nodes. But my blood tests have all been clear and i just feel terrible all the time. I seem to get a sore throat every second week. But the doctors dont think i had glandular fever because the test shows that i have been infected previously. Im just so over feeling ill all the time, im waiting to here back from a haematologist about an appointment
  • Posted

My physical symptoms subsided fairly quickly. About 2 months after I did get strep throat which threw my nodes and temp off again. However I'm still managing a body which feels ravished by an internal war.

Id say it's safe to say based on others testimony that mono/EBV has a funny way of reminding you of its existence even if it's existence is past tense. I think it would be wise to have scans and other checks to make sure it's nothing more but it's safe to say this could be your particular side affect.

• Posted

Im scheduled to see a haematologist because all my nodes are still up in my neck collar bone and groin, all bloods have been normal and ive had an ultrasound on my neck nodes and it just come back as reactive nodes
  • Posted

Hi Kurt,

So sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell and have had enlarge lymph nodes and spleen. I'm not an expert but think this is still very much possible after 3 months of glandular fever, I don't think anything is off the table with this virus. Make sure you keep in contact with your doctor especially about the spleen though, you really need to be careful with that. I know I certainly had painful and reactive lymph nodes for more than 3 months, I think that is normal. In terms of blood tests I know it's very possible at the start to test positive and there afterwards generally test negative even if you are still feeling unwell, that can be normal I think. Just check with your doctor though.

Make sure you get plenty of rest, remove as much stress as possible, you need time to recover - also take some good vitamins and herbs - Vitamin C 1000mg a day if possible, B complex, a good strong multi-vitamin (such as Immunace Extra) and good immune boosting herb such as siberian ginseng, oregano or echinicea.

Hang in there and you will feel better from this - you will recover, but it can take time - hang in there, there's plenty of hope today and I believe you will recovery fully and completely.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Hey craig, i have been taking multivitamins and vitamin c and inner health plus immune booster.

Still seeing doctors and am waiting on an appointment with a haematologist as i havnt yet got a diagnoses on what is going

• Posted

Hi Kurt,

Sounds like you are doing all the right and good things to help yourself. I know it must be a horrible time so just a reminder to hang in there and remember that it will pass over and you will get better again - I really firmly and truly believe that, so try not to worry, although I know that it easier said than done.

Good luck with your appointment and message any time. There is hope today, there is light at the end of the tunnel with this thing.

Craig

• Posted

Just hate feeling terrible all the time, constant body aches and pains and headdaches and just feeling unwell
    • Posted

I am in month 5. I still have swollen lymph glands in groin, neck collar bone and under arms. I too suffer from bad aches and pains.

I'm in my second relapse. Sore throat too. It is difficult to endure. Hopefully we will see improvement soon.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hey rhonda what dis your test say to prove thats what it is.. sorry to hear your going through it for a second time!
    • Posted

Hi Kurt,

Remember that often at this stage, being a few months down the line of the virus, your blood test for EBV will show negative and that it has returned to normal - it doesn't mean to say that the effects of the virus are not still there though and that you are not still recovering, so don't worry that it is something else, it is more than normal still to be going through this at your stage.

I know it's horrible to be feeling that way all the time, and it doesn't mean that you won't get better - because you will, I felt exactly the same still at 5 months after, and by 9 months I was starting to feel a good bit better and more like myself again - it's different for everyone though for some it can be much quicker than others. Hang in there, you will recover fully and totally in time, without any doubt whatsoever.

Craig

• Posted

Hey craig, im just concerned because im into roughly the 14th week now and i have been tested twice.. was tested about a week prior to falling ill and come back saying i have previously been infected with EBV and than the same test was run again a few weeks ago and it come back the same. So I actually dont know if glandular fever is even the cause because the doctors didnt do a monospot test in time to check. They just checked for the antibodies and both tests were run to early and to late
    • Posted

Not sure what all the results mean. The naturopathy I am using said it is positive for active ebv. She said that it is my first exposure to it according to results because there were no antigens to it.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Rhonda

• Posted

Both my tests have said positive to previous ebv infection, because once you have had it it doesnt leave your system
    • Posted

Hi Kurt,

Yes I see what you mean by being unsure in that respect from the blood test results, I'm not at all an expert on that front and of course a doctor would be best to speak to regarding that.

However what I do believe is that you will get better, be this glandular fever or something else, you will recover and get over it in time and feel well again - I totally and fully believe in your recovery Kurt, it's hard to be patient I know but you will get there in the end and feel totally well again. You WILL, really!!

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.