Only 22 been diagnosed hyperthyroidism need advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Went to the doctors end of January due to mood swings, irritability, weightloss and tiredness.

Had blood tests which revealed hyperthyroidism was started on carbimazole 5mg two in the morning and propranolol 80mg slow release.

To control the racing heartbeat, tremors and anxiety

Had first appointment at the hospital this week

Told that thyroid has come down with no swelling present, I asked about Graves' disease as it scares me and all I got was I suspect it is which wasn't very reassuring, I still don't understand if I'm stuck with it for life and why I have got this sad

The Dr from the hospital just advised try taking two propranolol 80mg one in evening but don't know if I'm getting strange side effects or just me getting used to the higher dose rolleyes

I have had minor eye discomfort mainly dry and gritty from lack of sleep only getting 4-5 hours

Was also told medication for a year then will be taken off and have 50% chance it will stay normal and not return Any advice or help to understand

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm on another Board for Graves patients and many of us found we have to watch our diets, avoiding gluten, sugar and aspartame.  Many of us take supplements like Acetyl-L-Carnitine or regular L-Carnitine along with vitamin D, selenium for the eyes, some also take herbal meds like motherwort and melissa to calm the body.  We take these along with prescribed meds.  Makes a difference.  I found I did not need Propranolol after I started on meds.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,   The thyroid works like the balance point for the immune system.  Once it goes too far in one direction, it goes hyper or hypo thryoid.  The thing is,  the thyroid can get back into balance if you help your whole immune system.  GP's dont tend to talk about immune system support, or mineral and vitamin balance, but this has really helped my daughter.  She was diagnosed with hyperthyroid when she was 15 (now 21) and on carbimazole for almost a year.  The endocrinologist wanted it  to go underactive and then treat it, but she hated the feeling of it going underactive and decided for herself when to take the carbimazole.  I despaired of her at the time, but its worked out as her thyroid did go back into balance naturally.   She got sick quite recently though as once again, her immune system had too much to cope with . Prolonged stress, poor diet,  a huge amount of antibiotics and then the Depo-provera contraceptive injection (which I found out is a large amount of synthetic hormone that your immune system then decides to fight) has meant its gone overactive again.  I have found out the hard way that magnesium is an absolutely vital mineral that every organ and system in the body needs, and when we dont get it, this contributes to the immune system breaking down. If you search magnesium deficiency you'll find masses of symptoms - most of which are also symptoms of the thyroid being overactive.  Hand on heart, I would recommend some immune support supplements to help build up your immune system again, and a high dose of magnesium (search the internet for the most quickly absorbable, as getting it into the body as quickly and efficently as possible is the best way to help to start to feel better - this will help your sleeping, stress, palpitations, and any high blood pressure, to name but a few symptoms it will help.   Doctors are not trained in nutritional support, (so don't be surprised if you dont get any help here)  but it seems perfect sense that what we put in our bodies is what harms or heals them.  Theres lots of info out there. ( I think your propanalol dose is quite high - and my daughter only had it for a week or so while the carbimazole started to take effect and she is also asthmatic so it wasnt suitable for her either) and magnesium will (I believe) do the job of the propanalol without the side effects, and you'll sleep better and feel much more relaxed.      Best wishes.
    • Posted

Leigh I have not heard very good things about Depo-Provera.  In fact, heard about some nasty side effects.  Why doesn't your daughter use a natural progesterone like Prometrium instead? 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the suggestion Linda,  I will certainly look into Prometrium.    - I would be much happier if she got off the Depo and she is reluctant to shift from what she sees as an 'easy' option and does not recognise that some of her symptoms may be because of it.
    • Posted

You will still require a prescription to get Prometrium.  Some docs are obliging and others are offended if you ask.  I was very fortunate I was present when my cousin was examined and I suggested it to the Resident and he carried it out.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte

I use lacrilube at night as required for my eyes and viscotears during the day as required.  My dry eye has gotten a lot better since treatment - only treat once or twice in the night now rather than several times.

Try diet to help heal your immune system - I'm trying it too, it might not work but it's worth a shot.  I'm reading a book called the autoimmune solution by amy myers. 

Apparently, it never goes away but you can go into remission.  Otherwise you get offered a choice of either a radioactive pill - I've refused this (investigate further for yourself before you make a decision), or a total thyroidectomy.

Over 20 years ago I had a partial thyroidectomy and it wasn't bad at all, so if necessary I will have the total thyroidectomy.

Regarding propranolol - I'm finding this helpful but I do sometimes get hallucinations in the night - getting used to it now lol!

• Posted

Hello Charlotte I was on carbazole I was about 4 every morning I went I said to my dr about it the perfect treatment was for a thyroidectomy I have it last week I fiell 100% it is a week since the operation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.